Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 11:52 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,436,468 times

Advertisements

I am looking for something to do with the kid today, or sometime this weekend, and really don't want to do the beach thing or another movie or bowling. Are there any events going on in the South Shore MA area that are family friendly?

Thanks

X-posted in RI forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 PM

13,018 posts, read 22,208,679 times
The Westport Fair can be fun and it's going on this weekend.

The Ocean Explorium in New Bedford is small, but it beats the drive to Boston they just opened a new Shark and Ray touch tank. This (http://oceanexplorium.org/pages/What%26%23039%3Bs-on-this-week%3F.html - broken link) is a schedule of their events this weekend. If you like Aquariums and don't want to deal with driving/parking in Boston, check out Mystic Aquarium. In fact, a whole day in Mystic (seaport, aquarium, pizza) is a blast. I actually enjoy it more than New England Aquarium in Boston. It's an hour away.

The Buttonwood Park Zoo (New Bedford) and Roger Williams Zoo are worth visiting if you haven't already.

The New Bedford Guide is a good reference for South Coast events, but it looks like a quiet weekend. The Herald News also has a summer fun guide.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks! We have done both zoos and Mystic which we loved. Also visited the aquarium in Boston which was nice, but a lot smaller and a lot less to look at than what we were expecting for the price and the fact that it was in Boston.

Will look into the fair and Ocean Explorium

I hope you are having a great summer so far- really enjoy your photo blog. You are a great photographer. I was in Times Square on 2nd July and got the same photo that you have on your blog, but yours looks so much better

Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Thanks! I hope you have fun. The Ocean Explorium is tiny, but they do a good job and it's close by.

These are always fun, affordable family events: Pawtucket Red Sox and the Brocton Rox.

My summer has been great so far. Glad you enjoy the blog, I have fun putting it together. I upgraded my camera last summer and I'm still really getting the hang of it. Generally, it's the camera that does the work... for every good shot, there are 25 bad ones. That times square shot wasn't easy, but it did come out better than I hoped! Hope you're having a good one.

Last edited by lrfox; 07-16-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Oh, I hadn't heard about Brocton Rox. Will definitely look into it. My son has decided he is now a HUGE Bruins fan so hoping we can get him to a game next season. He has already made it clear he is going to be a Bruin when he gets older..lol. We were in Boston during the Rolling Rally and he was so excited to see Bruins logos everywhere

Glad you are enjoying your summer. We are trying to get more outside and see more of the area. Today we were trying to decide between Freetown-Fall River Forest or Demarest Lloyd State Park. Freetown-Fall River Forest won out, but was a little creeped out on our way back to the quarry to go fishing (I shouldnt had googled the forest before leaving and finding out about some of the things that have happened out there) but thankfully after about 10mins, other people did show up so we weren't in there by ourselves.

It was my 4yr old's first time fishing and he caught the first fish and ended up catching 5, 5 more than my husband..lol. The old rock quarry was nice, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to the top of the rocks like others I had seen had done. Maybe next time.

We then took our son to the wading pool which was nice- and everything was free! We were expecting to have to buy a park pass or something. Then off to profile rock for a quick picture.

It was a great day and hoping to find more local good fishing spots (husband has never salt water fished before so not sure how to do it) for the kid.

A friend of my sons family are members of Baker's- have you made it out there this summer? I can't wait to see more of your photos this season

Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Oh, I hadn't heard about Brocton Rox. Will definitely look into it. My son has decided he is now a HUGE Bruins fan so hoping we can get him to a game next season. He has already made it clear he is going to be a Bruin when he gets older..lol. We were in Boston during the Rolling Rally and he was so excited to see Bruins logos everywhere
He picked a good time to start liking them! Before this year, Bruins games were the easiest/most accessible of the pro teams to go to in Boston. I bet there will be an uptick this next year, but I still think it'll be a hell of a lot easier than Sox/Pats. Those rallies are fun, I'm glad he got to go. The Providence Bruins are a great outing too.

The Rox are fun. They have a great little stadium and it's family oriented. Easier than getting in/out of Pawtucket too.

Quote:
Glad you are enjoying your summer. We are trying to get more outside and see more of the area. Today we were trying to decide between Freetown-Fall River Forest or Demarest Lloyd State Park. Freetown-Fall River Forest won out, but was a little creeped out on our way back to the quarry to go fishing (I shouldnt had googled the forest before leaving and finding out about some of the things that have happened out there) but thankfully after about 10mins, other people did show up so we weren't in there by ourselves.
Thanks. Yeah, now's the time to get out. I'm trying more too. The Forest is great for biking, hiking and exploring. Those old stories are really creepy. There are still some weirdos that hang out there, but mostly high school kids partying at night.

Quote:
It was my 4yr old's first time fishing and he caught the first fish and ended up catching 5, 5 more than my husband..lol. The old rock quarry was nice, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to the top of the rocks like others I had seen had done. Maybe next time.
Hahaha. Good for him. The old quarry (they call it the "ledge") is sort of a local landmark. We used to jump off of it in high school (there's an outcropping just to the right of the highest part), but I've never tried fishing there. I bet there are TONS of fish in that place.

There are two ways to the top. The dirt road from the entrance is "Ledge Road." It splits a little ways in and the right hand side (I'm assuming this is the one you took) is "Lower Ledge Rd." and it goes to the bottom. The one on the left is "Upper Ledge Rd." and, well, you know where it goes. Also, it's a REALLY short walk from the bottom up a trail to the right of the ledge (if you're facing the pond and the cliff). It's not marked (it should be), but it's a pretty well-traveled path. About 2 minutes to the top.

Quote:
We then took our son to the wading pool which was nice- and everything was free! We were expecting to have to buy a park pass or something. Then off to profile rock for a quick picture.
Too funny. Yeah, that pool is a little gem. Before I worked at Bakers, I got my start lifeguarding there (It's DCR which is why I sometimes covered over at Lafayette). That was before the recent renovation (which just finished last year). My brother actually lifeguards there now (but I THINK he's off on Sundays) while he's in college. 4 is the perfect age for the wading pool.

Quote:
It was a great day and hoping to find more local good fishing spots (husband has never salt water fished before so not sure how to do it) for the kid.
There are good spots. Long Pond (East Freetown) is pretty big and has some good freshwater spots. Hathaway Park in Assonet isn't bad either (and it has a playground and a baseball field so there's more to do than stare at the water).

If your husband wants to Saltwater fish, Shorecasting from any unguarded stretch of the Horseneck/Bakers area is fine. The Cape Cod Canal is the best though. You can fish from the rocks and see all the big boats go by. Bring your bikes because on both sides, there are LONG bike trails running along the canal. Also over there is Scusset Beach which has a long jetty which is great for fishing. I'm not a big fisherman, but my friend just caught a 42 inch striped bass in the canal. It's fun.

Quote:
A friend of my sons family are members of Baker's- have you made it out there this summer? I can't wait to see more of your photos this season
That's funny! I bet I at least know of them. I've been to Bakers twice. One time as a fill-in lifeguard on a Sunday. It's funny, I'm going to be guarding down there this week 2 or 3 days. I took vacation time from work (Boston) and want to get out of town. I figure why not spend time on the beach and get paid? The owner is a great guy and I can't pass up an opportunity to hang out with those guys, get paid, and get some sun. I love having a "real" job, but It's tough to look outside and see the beautiful weather and not be out there enjoying it. I'm certainly bringing my camera. You should post some of your photos on here (or a blog) too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts