Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 AM

24 posts, read 39,962 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

My wife and I (and our three male cats) are planning on moving to Northhampton next year and will be looking for a place to rent or buying a double or triple decker to help us keep our housing costs down. We have been self employed for the last twelve years and are looking to do the same in Northhampton. We would like to set some kind of a small business either by renting a place or some type of street vending around downtown or the college circuit. Does anybody have any ideas and how difficult does the bureaucracy make it.

Thank you for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM

325 posts, read 925,316 times
(Northampton has one H)

There are not many triple-deckers in Northampton, but buying a 2-3 family would be a good move, especially if it is within walking distance of downtown so you can command higher rents.
Not sure what type of business you are thinking of but street vendors are pretty much non-existent, and renting a place downtown may really cut into or evaporate your profits. An idea of some of the hassles and politics involved in the business climate: Northampton gives hookah bar the hook | masslive.com

Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
I live 20 miles from NoHo and shop there reg....street vending is not an option in many of the towns around here....just will not give permits for it....lots of reasons.....prices are steep in NoHo an most commercial building are owned by the same owners...tough to get into...rent a place and get a feel of the area...hope you can still do what your doing for an income as it may take a bit to get something going.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,106 times
And if you do end up moving here....please please please do not call it NoHo......IT is Hamp has always been Hamp and will always be Hamp.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 AM

24 posts, read 39,962 times
Hello to all,

Thanks for the info... Our idea is to look for a multi-family unit where we can live in one of them. Perhaps at first we will look for a place to rent. We are familiar with North Hampton (lived in Connecticut for many years) As far as outside/street vending, sounds like is not easy to do... so maybe street fairs and other venues where vendors are allowed to set up. One option is selling in a college campus. I would be curious to know if anyone can come up with a niche business that is missing in the "HAMP" (just for you western mass and love i .....lol...)

Thanks again

Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 AM

325 posts, read 925,316 times
spell it with me: N-O-R-T-H-A-M-P-T-O-N

Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
HAMP. HAMP. HAMP. and N-O-R-T-H-A-M-P-T-O-N Yes!

Only newcomers call it NoHo.

I can't help you with your idea though, lots of people, few jobs. Everyone would like to stay and set up a little business but few can compete with what's already there.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
HAMP. HAMP. HAMP. and N-O-R-T-H-A-M-P-T-O-N Yes!

Only newcomers call it NoHo.

I can't help you with your idea though, lots of people, few jobs. Everyone would like to stay and set up a little business but few can compete with what's already there.
ummm not a new-comer...born and raised here so....57 yrs and it has been called NoHo as long as I've been alive! Guess it depends on if you live in the flats of the valley or in the hills!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ummm not a new-comer...born and raised here so....57 yrs and it has been called NoHo as long as I've been alive! Guess it depends on if you live in the flats of the valley or in the hills!
This "Noho-Hamp" alleged controversy is an odd little peccadillo that I never hear discussed, save for a couple of posters on this forum with...ahem... similar screen names. I'm a newcomer, only been here 20 years. Nobody I know ever says either NoHo or Hamp. We always just say Northampton - it's not like it's wicked hard to pronounce or anything. When writing it I abbreviate as Noho to save on typing. Maybe a couple of guys over at the Valley Advocate call it Hamp (best reason I can think of not to).

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

I like the above ^^ revolutionary idea of just calling it.....Northampton.No more bickering then. I just can't stand to hear Noho--and I don't ever remember hearing it before the late '70s when N'ton underwent gentrification.
My grandparents (this goes back to the 1920s) called it Hamp, so did my mother and all her brothers and sisters. I have cousins and friends still living there who call it Hamp to this day. Let it be Northampton and we should all be happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts