Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 21,606 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks. My spouse and I are being relocated at the end of this summer from Arlington, VA to Maryland. I've been spending the last couple hours researching just for kicks (even if it is several months early) and am really interested in the Annapolis region.

Problem is...I think I over-researched. I'm seeing all these bad reviews for apartments that are both pricey and look incredible from the outside: Regatta, Harbor Gates, Mariner Bay, Archstone, and Stone Point to be specific. Is it really that bad? Which one would y'all recommend the most? Our maximum budget ideally is 1600 a month + utilities. We're planning this summer to get a feel for the entire area since we're both very unfamiliar with Maryland (well, except for all the apparent, ghastly crimes in PG ).

Is there any other city I should be exploring other than Annapolis? It needs to be in Anne Arundel, both of us are in no mood for hour plus long commutes anymore. I'm more a town-county guy while wifey prefers being in urban environs. And to me it seems that Annapolis is close to a perfect balance between the two. Thank you for your time y'all! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,486 times
I live in Annapolis and love it but we own our home. Instead of renting an apt, try Craig's List for a condo in your price range. I don't think all of the apts here are bad but you would be better off in a neighborhood where others own their condos as opposed to all renters in a complex.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 AM

344 posts, read 725,995 times
Check out Crofton- about 7 miles west of Annapolis.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 157,816 times
or check out arnold, just about 3 miles north of annapolis.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 PM

156 posts, read 423,581 times
You can rent townhouses and some single family homes for your price range in all three areas.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM

46 posts, read 118,650 times
I love living in Annapolis! Stone Point, Regatta Bay and Harbour Gates are all GREAT apartment complexes! Don't know why the reviews you read were negative. They can be a little pricey though...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,265 times
Just like any area there are small pockets of bad areas, but overall you won't have any issues. In your price range you will be able to live in a nice suburban neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Just like any area there are small pockets of bad areas, but overall you won't have any issues. In your price range you will be able to live in a nice suburban neighborhood.
I lived in or near Annapolis for a very long time and there are huge areas that are bad. Just about anywhere in Eastport from 6th St. south should probably be avoided. The entire area between Forest Dr and Hilltop Ln. Anything with the name Newtown, Bywater or Harborhouse. The list just goes on and on. Annapolis is Section 8 Central for Anne Arundel County and it has been for a very long time.

That said, there are relatively safe areas there. But you absolutely need to be careful because the bad areas are spread all over the city. If you live near one of those areas make sure you don't leave anything out because it will probably be gone soon. Lock your car and don't leave anything in it. Be careful at night.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM

13 posts, read 47,440 times
I'm thinking of renting my condo (2b 2br) for a year starting in July as I'm moving to Dallas with my husband. If you are looking for place to live, keep me in mind. It's a wonderful place (Tidewater community) and well within your price.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM

46 posts, read 118,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I lived in or near Annapolis for a very long time and there are huge areas that are bad. Just about anywhere in Eastport from 6th St. south should probably be avoided. The entire area between Forest Dr and Hilltop Ln. Anything with the name Newtown, Bywater or Harborhouse. The list just goes on and on. Annapolis is Section 8 Central for Anne Arundel County and it has been for a very long time.

That said, there are relatively safe areas there. But you absolutely need to be careful because the bad areas are spread all over the city. If you live near one of those areas make sure you don't leave anything out because it will probably be gone soon. Lock your car and don't leave anything in it. Be careful at night.
Sure, there are a couple bad areas, but you make it sound like Annapolis is a crime-infested area in the Bronx! I've lived in Annapolis almost my entire life, and have never been mugged, assaulted, gotten my house broken into, nor had my car stolen. I can honestly say I live here with minimal fear.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 02-28-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland