Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 20,237 times

Advertisements

DW and I are thinking of buying in Annapolis or Anne Arundel County. We currently rent in Alexandria, VA and have been looking for housing in NoVa. All indications are that traffic is too bad there to find a reasonably priced home within an hour or so of DC. We also have an 18 month old, so we would like to find an area with good schools. Can anyone provide areas where we could possibly find good schools and housing in the $300-$400K range? We prefer at least 3br/2ba and can only do $400K with no HOA. Cape Saint Claire looks great, but is it expensive?

One other thing. I work in the heart of DC. DW works from home. Is Annapolis a better commute than say, Mannassas, VA or Woodbridge, VA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Annapolis is a great commute to DC, especially compared to NOVA, and Montgomery County. Depending on where you live in Annapolis or AA County in general, you have several options. Carpool lanes on 50, really nice commuter bus service to DC and you can drive to New Carrolton for Metro and Marc trains. It seems far, but it's not near as bad as you would think. My commute from Germantown to Silver Spring was brutal.

US-50 between Annapolis and the Beltway is really not bad at all. Rarely more than a 10 minute delay.

AA County is great. Annapolis is great. It's not quite as bland and other suburban areas around DC. Annapolis is so vibrant, historic and unique, yet you also have any suburban shopping you could ever want. I think Annapolis mall is the best mall in all of metro DC, yet it's not near as annoying as Tyson Corner or something. Festivals and what not every weekend it seems. Bay Bridge is minutes away. Lots of water and water/boat culture.

Family friendly good school areas I like are Severna Park, Edgewater, Riva, Broadneck/Arnold area. Crofton is ok, but I find it a bit isolated from the best things about AA County. Dont' know much about the more rural areas of AA County like down south.

FYI, we moved here from Kansas City, MO about four years ago. First in Germantown and now Annapolis.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 PM

148 posts, read 242,484 times
I would choose NoVa or Woodbridge area everytime over anywhere in Md. I'm hoping to relocate ASAP out of this overly liberal nanny state.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM

What is a nanny state and whatever it is, would VA really be much different?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM

148 posts, read 242,484 times
Kcmo, here is the stock definition: A government perceived as having excessive interest in or control over the welfare of its citizens, especially in the enforcement of extensive public health and safety regulations.

Once you are away from Loudon, Fairfax, & Pr. William counties, yes it's much different. Even if you don't remove those counties from the discussion, Va is a much friendlier, and relaxed atmosphere. Even more importantly, for the most part progressives have not taken over all local and state governments.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
Kcmo, here is the stock definition: A government perceived as having excessive interest in or control over the welfare of its citizens, especially in the enforcement of extensive public health and safety regulations.

Once you are away from Loudon, Fairfax, & Pr. William counties, yes it's much different. Even if you don't remove those counties from the discussion, Va is a much friendlier, and relaxed atmosphere. Even more importantly, for the most part progressives have not taken over all local and state governments.
Well, I would agree, I have no desire to live in a "nanny state" and think all the overkill laws in Maryland are annoying and ridiculous. But I'm not sure you are going to get away from it unless you go to a more rural area or down south like Texas or something. It's definitely not enough for me to want to move or lose sleep over. I just try to ignore it and live life. Rural or more conservative areas have plenty of problems of their own that offset the nanny nonsense. I think this country has lost touch with reality and just a middle ground of living "normally".

Anyway, I like the DC area and most urban metro areas, so I guess I'm stuck in a nanny state

Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM

82 posts, read 151,136 times
OP: you do have to be careful about schools in Annapolis. Most are not good or safe. You would need to move to southern Anne Arundel Co (Harwood, Lothian - though some sketchy areas), Arnold for Broadneck schools, Severna Park for Severna Park schools, Riva or Davidsonville for South River HS. A budget of $3-400k will not get you far in these areas because of the schools. There are some houses that are in that price range but they will be older, maybe not fixed up, & havd smaller yards be in a hodge podge community.

It is a bit farther, but I recommend Kent Island. Your $ goes farther for housing, power bills are cheaper (no BGE), & there is a commuter bus to DC, and great schools (Matapeake Elm & MS & Kent Island High)! You will have a better time finding housing in your price range.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM

580 posts, read 777,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post
It is a bit farther, but I recommend Kent Island. Your $ goes farther for housing, power bills are cheaper (no BGE), & there is a commuter bus to DC, and great schools (Matapeake Elm & MS & Kent Island High)! You will have a better time finding housing in your price range.
Better ask the spouse about acceptable commute times; Bay Bridge traffic on Friday during summertime....

Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I think that budget + good schools + good neighborhood is probably going to get you a townhouse. I think the bigger issue will be finding a property without an HOA. My vote is for Crofton--great access to 50 and 97 and tons of back roads for avoiding traffic. Crofton has tons of shopping/eats/movies/salons and Ulta (my favorite store) with the addition of Waugh Chapel I and II and is an easy drive to Annapolis and fairly simple drive into D.C. although I prefer to drive to New Carollton metro and take that in. Again, finding a place without an HOA is probably going to be a challenge.

Crofton is also an easy drive to Arundel Mills Mall (I prefer to Annapolis Mall).

I also like parts of Millersville and Crownsville. I think I'm the only person in AA county not impressed with Severna Park. I'm not from this area so that might have something to do with it, I dunno. I feel Arnold is too suburban and I'm not a fan of Edgewater.

I cannot imagine doing a commute from Kent Island to D.C. That gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomrich13 View Post
Can anyone provide areas where we could possibly find good schools and housing in the $300-$400K range? We prefer at least 3br/2ba and can only do $400K with no HOA. Cape Saint Claire looks great, but is it expensive?
Cape St Claire has several houses under $400K, such as a rancher on St Charles Drive. The house is assigned to Anne Arundel County schools which are all rated at 9 of 10 in the Realtor.com listing. There is only a $10 HOA fee, but I would check whether that is accurate.

Don't let the negative voices deter you from following your interest in Annapolis. The commute is do-able if you are motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland