Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,326 times

Advertisements

My family and i are moving to ft. meade in the summer (14yr girl, 16yr boy, 19yr(college in PA)) and army husband (officer). We are looking at housing, but would like to know our options on possibly buying while there. What are good areas? The 2 kids at home will be in HS...one in advanced classes and one w/special needs and an IEP...what are the better high schools for this and also for sports, i.e. volleyball(boys), basketball? Any and all help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 158,689 times
I haven't lived in the area for at least four years so I can't give you accurate information on the area now. However, I would avoid living on base at all costs. They are putting in new housing but the base is such a dive I refused to live in housing when we were reassigned there.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I'm in Crofton and have several neighbors who work at Ft Meade. I'm in the Arundel High School district which is going through some redistricting. At one point, kids who should've gone to Meade High (has a terrible reputation) were going to Arundel and Crofton kids were split between Arundel and South River. That has changed and Meade kids are going back to Meade and all of Crofton will be going to Arundel.

If you go for a move to Odenton, you'll definitely want to check which school district you'd be in b/c part of Odenton will now go to Meade.

Here's a link to an article about it

Arundel High School redistricting plan OK'd | Article from Maryland Gazette | HighBeam Research

That being said Arundel has competitive sports program. I.e.-- Denny Neagle went there and lots of the kids are going to college on scholarshops. Girls basketball is really exciting. It's so competitive, in fact, that I know of parents who moved to South River school district to give their kids a competitive edge.

By the way, are you part of the BRAC move?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 130,505 times
Default Agree with Bandee

We live in Hawaii but we still rent our home in Odenton (East of Fort Meade) to Military officers, and will continue to for obvious reasons (they always pay their rent on time

Agree with Bandee. One of the reasons we lived in that area was the school system was better than most - Odenton/Gambrills/ Crofton). The reason the Meade school system (the schools on Fort Meade) have such a bad rap is just south of base are two public housing areas. These places really give that area (real estate market) a black eye. Every time you look in the paper there's a drug bust or some kind of assault going on inside these hoods. This unfortunately spills over into the school system (even though the schools are on Fort Meade they are still AA County Schools).

We still have one daughter in High School here in Hawaii (thank goodness the schools in our neighborhood are good here) and the other daughter is in U of H. I was very confident knowing the kids would have gone to Arundel High, but as a twist of fate we ended up in Hawaii.

Cheers
Out

Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 34,690 times
I currently live in Odenton, & my husband works at Ft. Meade. We don't have children, so I can't comment on the schools in the area. However, there are areas that I would recommend for your family over others. Namely, I would recommend the Columbia area as being particularly nice. Also consider the Piney Orchard area of Odenton, but stay away from the other parts of Odenton. I would also not recommend the Laurel area. You may also want to look at areas farther west on Hwy 32, where you may get more house for your money!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Columbia is often known for good schools (ok, the neighborhoods vary: some are excellent, some are bad), but they do a lot with Spec Ed and IEPs there. Columbia is in Howard county, but not far at all from Ft Meade.

Jessup is also right near Ft Meade and in Howard Cty, but I don't know which schools they have.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
I live in Columbia and I know an excellent real estate agent who can help you. Check out the site:
[url]http://www.mdjustlisted.com[/url]
at that site he actually has information about Fort Meade.
[url]http://www.mdjustlisted.com/fort-meade-maryland-just-listed.htm[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland