Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 27,823 times

Advertisements

I rent in Howard county and my wife and I would like to get into a home.

This area is way too expensive and does not offer the kind of space that we would like in a yard.

I was looking at some houses in JOPPA, which are very affordable and plenty of yard space.

Any other recommendations. I would like to be as close to Baltimore as possible. Shortest commute.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 04:41 AM

3 posts, read 34,847 times
Default harford county

My stong advise to you is stay away from harford co. I have lived here for over 20 yrs. The worse areas are as follows, Edgewood, joppa, aberdeen. Basically through out harford county is bad but the 3 i mentioned are in caious in way of crime and neglect. You would be doing your family a just favor reconsidering and thinking more of the whitemarch area the school are not good here and crime is high. It wont be long before i will be out of here and hopefully bk in howard county

Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 62,170 times
WOW, we were looking at Bel Air, the schools all show 90% or above on MSA test scores, would you not reccommend this area as well?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,739 times
Well, I'm about to move to Joppa. We have checked out almost all of Harford county and have looked at over 30 home (driving our agent crazy!). We decided on Joppa (specifically, Joppatown) after several visits and various times of the day, and spending a weekend afternoon walking around the neighborhoods and parks. As far as schools go, Edgewood has the worst reputation, followed by Aberdeen, then Joppatown. Given the choice between Edgewood and Joppatown, most would choice Joppatown. Bel Air & Fallston have the best reputation. But anyway, I found no problems with Joppa. Its older than some areas, but was very nice.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM

74 posts, read 310,301 times
Default Joppa, MD

I just spent a few months working at Joppatowne Elem and thought the school was wonderful!! Some think of Joppatown as "not a great area", but they are confusing that with Edgewood, it's neighbor...

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 AM

74 posts, read 310,301 times
Bel Air schools are great- Be sure the high school is C Milton Wright, Jarrettsville, Bel Air, Patterson Mill, North Harford, Fallston. Outside of those high schools, you are taking a chance. These schools are all wonderful!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 22,035 times
Exclamation Truth on Edgewood,MD

We are currently looking to move to MD from NJ. We looked at the townhomes on Hansfield Rd. We are looking for a convienent area (shopping, school family fun). We have an 18 year old and a 9 year old. Economically the cost of living is the same but you will get more for your money in the south.

Helpppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM

4 posts, read 22,035 times
Default Truth About Edgewood

We Are Currently Looking To Relocate To Md From Nj. We Have Started Looking In Edgewood, Md. Recently We Decided To Rent A Townhome Or A House For About 1 Yr.

Help!!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,790 times
We are very pleased with the schools and community in Forest Hill. Forest Hill is located between Bel Air and Fallston.

My husband and I both work outside of Harford County...we commute to Silver Spring. While it is a long commute, we are very pleased with our choice to live here. It doesn't have that transient feel that other parts of Maryland or Virginia have. Harford County still has a hometown feel...When you go into a store, you will most likely bump into a neighbor or team parent, etc.

Harford County is convenient to so much...Baltimore (25 mins), Delaware (40 mins) Philadelphia (75 mins) DC (65mins) NY (180 mins)....

The home we have would have costed double or triple in Montgomery or Howard county. when we purchased it 3.5 years ago. The value of it has more doubled.

There's been an increase in DC commuters in this area. So much that MARC is planning to add more trains to their current schedule in late 2007 or early 2008. Can't wait!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,576 times
I would agree with all of the previous commments. I have lived in Harford county all of my life. Fallston High school graduate. C. Milton Wright is also a good school and John Carroll is a great private school as well. Look into Jarretsville which is the North Harford school district. I have been house hunting myself and found some pretty good deals. Sometimes the commute can be a pain depending on where you work but well worth the peace and quiet. Joppa is a better choice if you like convinience. You can be right on 95 and at work in no time, and if you do find something in Joppa depending on the zoning you could be in the Fallston school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland