Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,400 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are wanting to surprise our daughter and her best friend with a 3 day graduation vacation. This will be their last hurrah before heading off in different directions for college. Looking at two different beach areas-NJ being the other. Two quiet type kids-would rather hang out on the beach than night life or partying. Any suggestions for hotels that we should look at? Do hotels only cater to families during the summer or will they accept singles? What areas should they stay away from in OC? We've never been ourselves and haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 31,432 times
All of Ocean City is nice. If you are by the inlet (and boardwalk), it will be noisier at night (and during the day). The further north you go, the quieter the beach gets. It's been awhile since I've been there (lived in the area from 2003-2005), we would rent a condo on the beach for a week. We have stayed at the Spinnaker hotel, many years ago.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM

17 posts, read 92,904 times
I have been going to OC MD my entire life but haven't been as often in recent years. The farther north the quieter it is. OC MD is basically one main street going north south with streets numbered from 1 to 144th (higher numbers being more north) and 6 non-numbered streets south of 1st street. The boardwalk runs from the inlet (southmost tip) to 30th street and usually is more raucous and party oriented, plus more bars and clubs are down that way. Also, drinking laws and noise laws are very, very strictly enforced which really keeps a lot of the craziness under control. That being said, there are probably going to be far more families than other singles all over OC. This is not panama city beach fl or south padre island or that type of place. I always had a lot of fun down there regardless of my age.

I have never heard of the hotels not accepting singles but I haven't stayed in a hotel there in years(my parents bought a condo in the early 90's). The Carousel hotel is usually family oriented plus the sheraton and clarion used to be good hotels in northern part of town.

BTW the only beach in NJ I have ever been to was Asbury Park and it was a complete dump (run down buildings, trash everywhere, k-fed lookalikes) compared to OC MD.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 AM

350 posts, read 1,647,175 times
Are the girls 18? If you're not accompanyimng them, you may have a tough time finding a place that will rent to them. There are some places that do beach week rentals to graduates, but they usually get pretty rowdy.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
Are the girls 18? If you're not accompanyimng them, you may have a tough time finding a place that will rent to them. There are some places that do beach week rentals to graduates, but they usually get pretty rowdy.
Yes, they are both over 18. What about rental agencies down in that area? Maybe we'd do better looking at a condo to rent for a few days? All they'll be wanting to do is shop, sun and eat seafood they aren't huge party girls at all-very laid back type kids.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM

350 posts, read 1,647,175 times
It'll all depend on where you look- some places won't rent to anyone under 25. There are a lot of websites you can check out if you google Ocean City rentals. A lot of the rentals have mini weeks available- usually either Mon-Fri, or Fri-Mon. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:13 PM

44 posts, read 196,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingmom View Post
hi,

We Are Wanting To Surprise Our Daughter And Her Best Friend With A 3 Day Graduation Vacation. This Will Be Their Last Hurrah Before Heading Off In Different Directions For College. Looking At Two Different Beach Areas-nj Being The Other. Two Quiet Type Kids-would Rather Hang Out On The Beach Than Night Life Or Partying. Any Suggestions For Hotels That We Should Look At? Do Hotels Only Cater To Families During The Summer Or Will They Accept Singles? What Areas Should They Stay Away From In Oc? We've Never Been Ourselves And Haven't A Clue Where To Start.

Thanks!
Honestly I Would Suggest Virginia Beach Or Myrtle Beach, I Think They'd Enjoy Both Of Those. The Weather Will Be Nice At Either Location And They Could Chill On The Beach And Not Have To Worry Much About Things To Do If They Did Want To Get Into Something Fun They'd Have No Problem Its Tons To Do Within The Boardwalk Itself. I Just Can't Stand The Hotels In Ocean City, Even The Supposed Higher Starred Ones Were Filthy And I Vowed Never To Spend Thenight Again. Now When I Go To Oc I'll Go For A Day Trip And Thats It, Lol...

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastic_but_lovable View Post
Honestly I Would Suggest Virginia Beach Or Myrtle Beach, I Think They'd Enjoy Both Of Those. The Weather Will Be Nice At Either Location And They Could Chill On The Beach And Not Have To Worry Much About Things To Do If They Did Want To Get Into Something Fun They'd Have No Problem Its Tons To Do Within The Boardwalk Itself. I Just Can't Stand The Hotels In Ocean City, Even The Supposed Higher Starred Ones Were Filthy And I Vowed Never To Spend Thenight Again. Now When I Go To Oc I'll Go For A Day Trip And Thats It, Lol...

We've been to both of them and I agree, plenty for them to do there. Only problem is that one is about 8 hours from us the other about 16 hours. Lot of driving for the first long distance trip. But hey, I did it too when I was 18. Something to consider-and that's to everyone for all the great replies!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

46 posts, read 147,824 times
When are you planning on going? Keep in mind that June 18-26th is Fireman's Week and the place turns into one HUGE drinking fest (we go every year since we're fire department employees).... you'll have a hard time finding something around that time. The Dunes Manor wasn't too bad when we stayed there but they are pricey. The Carousel was where that murder was several years ago so you can usually get a good deal there as that weirds some people out

Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM

21 posts, read 112,809 times
Quality Inn on 54th street I think it is !!! Very Nice !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland