Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

It's a damn shame that African Americans (Americans in general) don't have a sense of their own nation's history, origins, events, actors and etc.. It's sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I actually semi agree to this here. (As a black man) History is history and cannot be erased. Even in our not so prideful layers of our history, I accept that and acknowledge who made this country what it is today. We would not have gotten some of our most noble leaders and figures today, if it were not for those very adversaries who influenced oppression and racial tensions throughout our nations history. No matter which side of history people think they are on, tearing down everything that actually happened in an area does nothing to change the facts that it happened. Changing the name of a street that was named after a confederate who grew up there (even if he was a racist) IMO does not make me feel any better, nor does it change the fact that the individual did actually live there.

The confederate flag however is a different topic. They lost the war, flying the flag on the state house in SC is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Okay, I thought it could have been possible. My home state of GA switched flags due to overt Confederate symbolism. Only to don a flag that's more covert.

This article.
That article.

The two articles explain the connection. MD's history is strange and the flag reps both sides of the Civil War but I really wouldn't be too surprised if some people start calling for the state of MD to remove any type of Confederate symbols once they get hip to it (I highly doubt the state would change it because Maryland does have an iconic flag).

Well, even though my friends are DC natives, they lived in Maryland before and go there often (it doesn't even feel much different) and have relatives in MD and VA. I showed them this thread one told me about the flag's background (even showed me the articles). We had discussed all the crazy racial stuff happening.
After reading the article I think it is MORE important to keep the flag as it is. It represents the divided nature of the state in the Civil War and the compromise that was worked out while there were still veterans around that could be listened to.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
After reading the article I think it is MORE important to keep the flag as it is. It represents the divided nature of the state in the Civil War and the compromise that was worked out while there were still veterans around that could be listened to.
I hear you. For the record, I don't think that the flag will ever be changed because it is so specific to Maryland's history but I was just seeing what some C-D Marylanders thought about it. It would be interesting to see a Baltimore Sun or Washington Post poll on that (just out of curiosity).

Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I don't think there will be any push to change the flag since it doesn't contain explicit Confederate symbols. I say leave it.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 56,218 times
Unless its official I mean "official" like by law and government.
Dont trust media, most of the times they exaggerate things and sometimes deliver news incorrectly.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:49 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Quote:
Dont trust media, most of the times they exaggerate things and sometimes deliver news incorrectly.
[/quote]

*Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusahmed_ View Post
Unless its official I mean "official" like by law and government.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 14,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Media outlets aren't credible sources.
Basically.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 14,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Maryland is a Southern state. It just is. It's below the Mason-Dixon Line, and before the Civil War it was a big slave state.

The only reason it doesn't act like a Southern state politically anymore is suburban flight from DC. MoCo emerged as the destination of choice for transplanted liberals who work in DC but don't want to raise their families in confederate Virginia. And the exodus of blacks from DC into PG, which turned that county majority black, also happened during that time period. Maryland remains a relatively small state, and those shifts - combined with the high black population in Baltimore - effectively overpowered the white conservatives politically.

Just from Wikipedia: MoCo's population went from 83,912 in 1940 to 971,777 in 2010 - increasing by a factor of more than 10. It accounts for 17% of the state's population. MoCo, PG, and Baltimore City alone account for over 40% of the total.

The fact that Maryland now votes consistently for Democrats does not change the fact that it's geographically and historically part of the South. Florida's going blue, too, but are people now going to claim that it's Northern also?
Yeah, but didn't the Mason -Dixon line only survey the Pennsylvania-Maryland boundary?

Old 05-19-2019, 05:57 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambolio View Post
Yeah, but didn't the Mason -Dixon line only survey the Pennsylvania-Maryland boundary?
Besides the Mason-Dixon Line, the U.S. Census has always classified Maryland as Southern.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
these designations are done for administrative purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland