Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times

Advertisements

They've already invaded the Cary, NC area! Watch your back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is getting to be a large contingent of Marylanders right here in Greenville, NC. My best friends here are all from MD. I've met them since moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
A couple of months ago, the MD Senate voted to change the pro-south lyrics of the state song...cool. The former Robert E Lee park is now Lake Roland Park and B-More will more than likely get rid of some of their Confederate statues. Ever since the Charleston shooting, many states/cities have distanced themselves from those who lost the Civil War. I spoke to some friends in DC about MD's flag and how I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push to just have it all be Calvert's family crest instead....especially with all this racial stuff going on in this country. Just wanted to know what more Marylanders think...Will there be a push to get rid of the Crossland crest or no?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:08 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
A couple of months ago, the MD Senate voted to change the pro-south lyrics of the state song...cool. The former Robert E Lee park is now Lake Roland Park and B-More will more than likely get rid of some of their Confederate statues. Ever since the Charleston shooting, many states/cities have distanced themselves from those who lost the Civil War. I spoke to some friends in DC about MD's flag and how I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push to just have it all be Calvert's family crest instead....especially with all this racial stuff going on in this country. Just wanted to know what more Marylanders think...Will there be a push to get rid of the Crossland crest or no?
No.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:08 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I spoke to some friends in DC about MD's flag and how I wouldn't be surprised if there's a push to just have it all be Calvert's family crest instead....especially with all this racial stuff going on in this country. Just wanted to know what more Marylanders think...Will there be a push to get rid of the Crossland crest or no?
Why??? What is the connection? And why should people in DC have any say about the MD Flag?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:00 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
No.
Okay, I thought it could have been possible. My home state of GA switched flags due to overt Confederate symbolism. Only to don a flag that's more covert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Why??? What is the connection? And why should people in DC have any say about the MD Flag?
This article.
That article.

The two articles explain the connection. MD's history is strange and the flag reps both sides of the Civil War but I really wouldn't be too surprised if some people start calling for the state of MD to remove any type of Confederate symbols once they get hip to it (I highly doubt the state would change it because Maryland does have an iconic flag).

Well, even though my friends are DC natives, they lived in Maryland before and go there often (it doesn't even feel much different) and have relatives in MD and VA. I showed them this thread one told me about the flag's background (even showed me the articles). We had discussed all the crazy racial stuff happening.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 AM

As an African American, I say, "keep those Confederate symbols and statues up" as a significant testimony about history relevancy.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
As an African American, I say, "keep those Confederate symbols and statues up" as a significant testimony about history relevancy.
I actually semi agree to this here. (As a black man) History is history and cannot be erased. Even in our not so prideful layers of our history, I accept that and acknowledge who made this country what it is today. We would not have gotten some of our most noble leaders and figures today, if it were not for those very adversaries who influenced oppression and racial tensions throughout our nations history. No matter which side of history people think they are on, tearing down everything that actually happened in an area does nothing to change the facts that it happened. Changing the name of a street that was named after a confederate who grew up there (even if he was a racist) IMO does not make me feel any better, nor does it change the fact that the individual did actually live there.

The confederate flag however is a different topic. They lost the war, flying the flag on the state house in SC is unacceptable.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-13-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
It is absolutely unacceptable. I believe history should remain unaltered. That being said, there is no reason for the traitors flag to be posted all over state and city property.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I actually semi agree to this here. (As a black man) History is history and cannot be erased. No matter which side of history people think they are on, tearing down everything that actually happened in an area does nothing to change the facts that it happened. Changing the name of a street that was named after a confederate who grew up there (even if he was a racist) IMO does not make me feel any better, nor does it change the fact that the individual did actually live there. The confederate flag however is a different topic, they lost the war, flying the flag on the state house in SC is unacceptable.
Very good points (though I am not black). I only support removing the "rebel flag" - actually the semi official battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia from state houses. Existing parks, memorials, statues, etc etc should stand. That does not mean that new ones need to be erected though.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
As an African American, I say, "keep those Confederate symbols and statues up" as a significant testimony about historical relevancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland