Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,502 times

Advertisements

I live in Bel air..the schools are excellent and they just built a brand new middle school/high school. My house is in the mid 400's and I pay about $3600 in taxes on it... To me, that isn't bad at all. We used to live in Pittsburgh where I had a house in the mid 200's and we paid about $3500. I am moving to Nj when I get my house sold and we are looking in the same price range at about mid 400's and the taxes are 12,000!!! Sooo I don't think 3600 is too bad!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM

10 posts, read 38,756 times
Default Attn BRAC

I live in Bel Air - not a long commute to APG -- less than 30 minutes. Bel Air has great schools, shopping, quite neighborhoods. We are looking to sell our home, downsize and move to a condo and still stay in Bel Air. It's a 4 bedroom house. Let me know if you are interested. PM me at redmondson1@verizon.net

Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM

35 posts, read 183,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLocal View Post
I'm glad to hear you're coming to Harford County! I've lived in this area my entire life and would be glad to give you the "insiders scoop" on where to go and where to avoid. Avoid Rt 40 the closer it takes you to Baltimore County. Its okay closer to 543 (Riverside), however, the strip between Rt 7 and Rt 40 is notoriously violent. I don't have children either, but, like you, I want to walk my dog with peace of mind. If you follow Rt 24 south, it crosses over I 95, and gets really questionable the closer you get to the railroad tracks. Harford County has a problem with gang activity. I work within the local hospital system and can tell you without a doubt, that many of the assaults I see in our ER come from Edgewood/Aberdeen.
If you like the water, cosider Havre de Grace. HdG has its "low rent" districts and with that comes higher rates of crime, but it's nothing like Edgewood/Aberdeen. Havre de Grace is right on the water and VERY convenient to I95. There are several new homes going in around the Ironbirds Stadium - which is very much a nice place to be. Good luck!
Well i havent lived in harford county my whole life but i've lived in edgewood and havre de grace, and i think you obviously must work in bel air's hospital because havre de grace has it's own hospital..unless you work there, too?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 25,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
My husband and I will be relocating soon to Harford county for my job at APG. We went up for a visit awhile back and looked at the areas of Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Bel Air, along with some of the more rural areas north of Aberdeen and Havre de Grace (not sure of the community names). Bel Air awas the most appealing area, but after years of dealing with an hour (each way) commute in DC traffic, I want to be closer to APG. Now I'm browsing through the MLS listings, and there are a lot of houses that appeal to us in Abingdon and Joppa/Joppatown (plus they are closer to the bay). Can anyone tell me about these areas? We have been working with a real estate agent, but she hasn't been much help. When we mentioned Joppatown, we got a CYA response like "I can't steer you to or away from neighborhoods, but talk to some people." Not that helpful when you know no one. Is there something wrong with Abingdon and Joppatown? FWIW - I'm a researcher, my husband is blue collar. I am more comfortable with the blue collar crowd than he is with the PhD crowd.

And if anyone can help us out - we want a between a quarter and a full acre, single family home with a garage, no more than 35 years old (husband will not live with plaster walls), and close to water with boat ramps (we have a boat or 3, mostly lake fisherpeople). We are early 30's, no kids, and want it to be safe enough to walk the dog around the neighborhood.
i would say joppa 4 the boats it right on the water half the houses by there are right on the water. i live in edgewood the water is about 30 feet from my back yard but edgewood is most def.a bad area. i guess joppa is better but its really only 5 mins away so its basically the same thing

Old 01-05-2008, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 15,424 times
I am tired about people saying Edgewood is a violent area. Yes, there is an isolated area near Rt. 40 that has problems but that is not the majority of Edgewood. We have lived off of Willoughby Beach Road for 14 years and have never had an incident of violence or criminal activity in our area. I walk my dog every morning at the wildlife conservatory and throughout the neighborhood. The majority of Edgewood and Joppatowne is safe and a nice place to raise your family. It is especially affordable for the bluecollar worker. I wanted to be a stay at home mom and living in Bel Air on one income was out of the question. We have no regrets about living in Edgewood.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 PM

9 posts, read 30,813 times
Greetings: personally being from Upstate NY (Finger Lakes Region) we don't like it here in Harford Co....but, then its all a matter of personal taste. We have a 16-year old daughter and Harford Co. schools can't compare to NYS schools. If you have children and education along with a more structured enviornment is important to you I would suggest you look into a private school like John Carrol, which is located on 72 acres in Bel Air, Maryland, The John Carroll School is the only private, coeducational, Catholic independent high school in Harford County. It is primarily an academically oriented college preparatory school, with ninety-eight percent of its graduates going on to further education.

Perhaps Bulle Rock, a gated community in Havre de Grace, MD might appeal to you. This gated community has it's pros and cons........mostly cons because gated communities aren't all that their promoted to be. Your safety is only as good as the local police force and neighborhood that you live in. We live here in Bulle Rock, with 24 / 7 security idiots, who will keep your friends and relatives waiting forever at the gate. Be assured there's been homes robbed here, just down the street,and other complaints. Neighbors son was an addict who invited his dealer buddies in for a party. The point is crime is everywhere, especially in densley populated areas.

We're going back to some sanity in Upstate NY. You might want to consider some areas in southern PA........many people do. Anyway, good luck in your search.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 20,354 times
Willoughby Beach is a nice area once u get away from that little shopping strip area.....Edgewood gets the worst rap from Woodbridge and Edgewater Village area.

The schools in harford county are good. They are building a brand new one right in the Bel Air/Abingdon area that is huge and should be ready for the Sept 08 school year. Stay away from the Upper Chesapeake hopsital (Pretty much Fallston General Hospital with a new building) if u have a serious injury because they have a bad rep for long waits in the ER and doing more damage then good. You'd be better off going to Harford Memorial in Havre de Grace or one of the many in Baltimore.

Last edited by Aquakeeper; 01-18-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 26,455 times
Default places to be/ not to be

there are only three cities in harford county that you need to be comcerned with. The first is edgewood, followed by joppatowne, also some partsof aberdeen.
parents concerned with schooling i advise to stay away from joppatowne high school. I hear alot of problems comin from that school. mainly "gang's"

Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM

45 posts, read 161,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
My husband and I will be relocating soon to Harford county for my job at APG. We went up for a visit awhile back and looked at the areas of Aberdeen, Havre de Grace, Bel Air, along with some of the more rural areas north of Aberdeen and Havre de Grace (not sure of the community names). Bel Air awas the most appealing area, but after years of dealing with an hour (each way) commute in DC traffic, I want to be closer to APG. Now I'm browsing through the MLS listings, and there are a lot of houses that appeal to us in Abingdon and Joppa/Joppatown (plus they are closer to the bay). Can anyone tell me about these areas? We have been working with a real estate agent, but she hasn't been much help. When we mentioned Joppatown, we got a CYA response like "I can't steer you to or away from neighborhoods, but talk to some people." Not that helpful when you know no one. Is there something wrong with Abingdon and Joppatown? FWIW - I'm a researcher, my husband is blue collar. I am more comfortable with the blue collar crowd than he is with the PhD crowd.

And if anyone can help us out - we want a between a quarter and a full acre, single family home with a garage, no more than 35 years old (husband will not live with plaster walls), and close to water with boat ramps (we have a boat or 3, mostly lake fisherpeople). We are early 30's, no kids, and want it to be safe enough to walk the dog around the neighborhood.
I would stay away from Joppatown. We live in Abingdon, The best schools in Harford County, Belair Middle and Belair High. Our house is 1 year old, brand new end of group luxury townhome, The only 4 bedroom 3.5 baths 3 customized walk in closets every upgrade you can imagine,home backs up to woods on cul de sac.We have a clubhouse built in pool and fitness center. We are moving to Fl where my parents live because one is not doing well. Moderator cut: Please use DM feature to contact other members. Thanks

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-14-2008 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: No advertising is allowed on this site Read TOS.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:25 PM

35 posts, read 183,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hCO50 View Post
there are only three cities in harford county that you need to be comcerned with. The first is edgewood, followed by joppatowne, also some partsof aberdeen.
parents concerned with schooling i advise to stay away from joppatowne high school. I hear alot of problems comin from that school. mainly "gang's"
Not really...hahaha joppatowne is an upper-middle-class place..sounds like somebody is another lost belairian..Edgewood,Aberdeen,and Havre De Grace,and Joppatowne High schools are all exactly the same; save the racial make-up. This man is simply pointing out that Edgewood and Aberdeen have more 'minorities'.Fear created by media and stereotypes, as is the case in the inexperienced one that lives in the niec part of Edgewood Willoughby Beach.It's nice for him because where he lives is really yuppy.Half of Edgewood is not. That is how it is in each of these communities.Half is upper-middle class, half is lower-middle class.It's alright, don't listen to the upper-class fools misinforming everybody through the media,.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland