Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 AM

76 posts, read 384,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
Thanks-
I noticed that when we went food shopping the other day in VA, taxes were 9%...5% sales and 4% something else...What is it like in MD?? What about car insurance...is it true there are more car crimes? (Someone said that from VA)

I think you are referrencing to taxes on fast food. This is not statewide but believe it's only in Arlington county.

Someone mentioned crime being higher in Northern VA. This is not true. Please do some research. Maryland has the higher crime rate, NOT Northern VA.

Going back to your question. If your husband works in MD, then I suggest you stay there. There's no point of driving from NOVA to MD. Traffic is awful, epecially crossing over the river or on the beltway. Plus, homes are more affordable in Howard County and its a pretty nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 62,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
Shopping is also great for both areas but Howard has a more suburban feel. You'll find what you need here but the stores are less upscale than what you would find in Fairfax, with everything the Tysons area has to offer.
+1. After I first visited the shopping center at Tyson's corner, I cry every time I am in the Columbia mall. It is not just a suburban feel. The stores just don't have anything above what's needed to an Average Joe the plumber.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Both areas are nice, and very affluent (Loudon, Fairfax, and Howard are the 3 wealthiest counties in the country). I would recommend Columbia. It's widely regarded as one of the best communities in the country, and regularly places highly on CNN Money's top 100 list.

Somebody compared Tyson's to Columbia Mall (the latter which I have never been to). Tyson's is a one of a kind "mall," and you probably would have to go all the way to New York/north Jersey to find another one like it. Interestingly both Columbia Mall and Tyson's Corner Galleria are owned by (the now bankrupt) General Growth Properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
NoVA has better public transportation and is the economic engine of the DC area.
Well, it depends on where in Howard you live. I know they have MARC commuter rail service. I would also think DC would be the "economic engine," or at least the employment hub, with Montgomery County and Arlington/Fairfax/Alexandria being the next biggest contributors.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1027 View Post
The crime rate is higher and the traffic is outrageous. Good luck!
That is hilarious. The NoVa boards say that crime is out of control in MD but barely exists in NoVa

Old 10-25-2014, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
I have lived and work in Howard County for 13 years now. When I first moved here it was great. I made more money compared to where I came from and the cost of living was not as bad as I had heard. Being a teacher my apartment complex gave me a discount and I did not have to pay a deposit. The area was great and I felt it was safe for my 9 year old daughter and myself. Since then my 30 year old apartment building has changed hands 3 times and with each change the conditions get worse and the price goes up. I know inflation cause changes but unfortunately as a teacher we have not received a raise in about 5 years and the one we just got only increased my take home salary about $8.00. Yes you are reading that correctly. On the other hand my rent under the new owners has gone up $50.00 a year with no home improvements that the tenants are asking for and I no longer feel as safe or valued as when I first moved here. The new owners are trying to get the rent price up to where the newer apartments are renting for but I don't have the same amenities that they have. If you wonder why I don't move well it's a catch 22, can't afford to leave and can't afford to stay. The cost of living is astronomical, which for public servants like myself, means you can't afford to live where you work. If I had to recommend Howard County as a place to live the answer would no, unless you make an awful lot of money.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public servant View Post
I have lived and work in Howard County for 13 years now. When I first moved here it was great. I made more money compared to where I came from and the cost of living was not as bad as I had heard. Being a teacher my apartment complex gave me a discount and I did not have to pay a deposit. The area was great and I felt it was safe for my 9 year old daughter and myself. Since then my 30 year old apartment building has changed hands 3 times and with each change the conditions get worse and the price goes up. I know inflation cause changes but unfortunately as a teacher we have not received a raise in about 5 years and the one we just got only increased my take home salary about $8.00. Yes you are reading that correctly. On the other hand my rent under the new owners has gone up $50.00 a year with no home improvements that the tenants are asking for and I no longer feel as safe or valued as when I first moved here. The new owners are trying to get the rent price up to where the newer apartments are renting for but I don't have the same amenities that they have. If you wonder why I don't move well it's a catch 22, can't afford to leave and can't afford to stay. The cost of living is astronomical, which for public servants like myself, means you can't afford to live where you work. If I had to recommend Howard County as a place to live the answer would no, unless you make an awful lot of money.
So because your apartment building changed to bad owners you are making a blanket statement about all of Howard County?

There is no question housing in both places is expensive but it is MUCH more expensive in Northern VA. That is not in dispute. Crime is probably the same in both, not a real concern but it does exist as it does in every populated area. If you are basing your opinion on the quality of the local mall, well I can't help you. To me it all comes down the MARC train accessibility to your husband's job. Driving to DC from Howard County will be brutal unless he works odd hours.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,388 times
Does anyone knows how is the commute from Howard Co to Ft. Meade?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:42 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
Not bad at all I would think. Not sure what part of Howard County you are talking about but I really wouldn't see that as a horrible commute.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:35 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
It is an easy drive, just straight down 32. Traffic backs up in the AM between 95 and 29 but once you pass 95 it opens up.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
OK, People! I need your honest advice.

I thought I had decided on focusing my relocation search (due to husband's job in DC) to Howard County, MD...BUT I am hearing that the taxes are higher her and Northern VA is the job magnet area...SO,

Please send me your pros and cons to liviing in these places. My criteria is a family friendly affordable neighborhood with excellent schools, great shopping and pleasant commute by public transportation to DOJ in DC. Initially may rent first until I know the area...but possibly willing to buy...we are working on 125,000 income to start...I would like to move by end of summer but need to know what area so I can visit school before June!!

So go at it ....I need your help!! I really appreciate your honesty...
Fact: As a de facto Sanctuary City, Fairfax VA is inundated with illegal immigrants who are straining local schools with their English As A Second Language demands....their increased poverty rates.....their general effect on the quality of life in once nice neighborhoods (illegal immigrants who house share with 15 other "family" members in contravention of local codes, 8 cars in the driveway....etc requiring more taxpayer funded code inspectors..etc.). Basically, since taxpayer dollars being diverted to deal with the social ills that come with illegal immigration, the children and adults of legal, taxpaying citizens suffers.

Many on this thread will try to cry "bigotry" over my comments....but that's the cold, hard truth. If you don't believe me, then Google it. I can promise you there are loads of articles and stats to back this up.

Here's an article or two to get you started:

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/...e=fairfaxTimes

http://asu.news21.com/sanctuary-citi...fax-county-va/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...d74_story.html

South Howard County...the portion of the county closest to DC....does not suffer from the problems that Fairfax County has. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland