Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,985 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move to Hagerstown in the next 4-6 months. My job has me placed in Chambersburg, PA, but I am willing to commute to live in a bigger (?better) city. I am a minority of Asian descent, how are people in Hagerstown accepting to outsiders? Is the commute reasonable on I-81 as well as the 'Dual Highway'? Are the taxes (income, real estate, county, state) really that different between PA and MD? Lots of questions...this forum is great, hope someone out there can help me out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

80 posts, read 406,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to Hagerstown in the next 4-6 months. My job has me placed in Chambersburg, PA, but I am willing to commute to live in a bigger (?better) city. I am a minority of Asian descent, how are people in Hagerstown accepting to outsiders? Is the commute reasonable on I-81 as well as the 'Dual Highway'? Are the taxes (income, real estate, county, state) really that different between PA and MD? Lots of questions...this forum is great, hope someone out there can help me out. Thanks.
Where are you moving from? Because Hagerstown is far from a 'big' city

I moved here from Philadelphia about 5 years ago, and love it for it's small city feel and the fact that there is more green and land out here.

Some have complained of being victims racism living here, but I haven't. I am of mixed racial background and never have had a problem.

Don't know much about taxes, sorry, but you will get more house and land for your money if you live in PA [Greencastle, Waynesboro, Chambersburg]. If you live in Greencastle you would still be able to take advantage of the shopping Hagerstown has to offer.

HTH!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM

196 posts, read 795,767 times
Mihink, if it was me, I'd visit Chambersburg several times, eat at local restaurants, etc., to get a feel for the citizens there. I guess I'm just naive, but I don't think you'd have any problems making friends in Pa., and God knows the cost of living is better. Plus, no commute!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,614 times
Nice Historic Civil War town. A little too redneck for me but still nice and affordable. Lot's of mixed couples.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM

80 posts, read 406,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananajs View Post
Nice Historic Civil War town. A little too redneck for me but still nice and affordable. Lot's of mixed couples.
people say that its redneck... but I don't see it. I am from a big city and don't see how it's redneck, please elaborate...

Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 AM

20 posts, read 61,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post
If you are looking to move to a better city Hagerstown isn't it. I have lived here for 30 years and never liked it. Yes the country side is nice and there are plenty of places to go shopping but it's expenssive to live here. Most of the people here have attitude problems. The only nice thing I can say about this town is that it is Diverse and accepting of everyone.

Pa is a cheaper place to live. You can buy more house for less money in Pa. Hagerstown is so expensive because you have people from DC and Baltimore moving up here and farmers are selling their farms to make way for huge expensive houses.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM

20 posts, read 61,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananajs View Post
Alot of rednecks yes but alot of punk kids with their ricers too.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM

52 posts, read 175,421 times
Default Redneck Hagerstown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
people say that its redneck... but I don't see it. I am from a big city and don't see how it's redneck, please elaborate...
Depending upon the definition of redneck, of course; the deer hunt this week may be redneck to some, but it's just normal to many folks. Pls recommend that people visit their local deer checking station if they are concerned about lifestyle. Hagerstown and Chambersburg are both great areas and offer much better day to day life than the DC or Baltimore suburbs because the cost of living is more reasonable. There are lots of nice homes in towns like Williamsport, and the rental market always has lots available

Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 15,339 times
Not sure if you are still reading comments. I moved to Hagerstown 2 years ago, from Frederick MD. I'm originally from Dallas, TX and lived in New York City 3 years prior to moving to MD. My husband is from Frederick MD, which is closer to DC and Baltimore. Hagerstown is pleasant enough. It is growing and starting to expand in terms of restaurants, etc. However, if I had to pick and you don't mind a commute, I'd say look at Frederick. It's a great city with a lot more in terms of livable amenities. It is also between two major metro areas, which is appealing. Hagerstown has a long way to go to catch up to Frederick. However, like many others, we moved for the more affordable housing. I love my development and our house, but I'm still adapting to living here. We don't have children yet, so I assume if you do, you probably will meet many more people than we have. I'd recommend visiting many cities around the area to get a feel for what you like before making a decision. In terms of PA, I can't comment on those areas. To me, that is simply to far from a major metro area to consider. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland