Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 AM

25 posts, read 52,108 times

Advertisements

I will be joining a new job in gaithersburg, MD. My husband works in baltimore. Where would you recommend us to live. Criteria:

1. We have only one car and we intend to keep it that way. Given that there is no easy way to get to my place of work in gaithersberg, it is almost certain that I will drive & my husband will take the MARC or commuter bus.
2. We want a safe neighborhood that has a trader joes whole foods or wegmans (or at least a safeway) in walking distance i.e less than a mile or perhaps less than 5 minutes driving distance.
3. We are okay with suburban settings & dont care about proximity nightlife, restaurants, culture etc. Presence of parks or walking trails close by is important.
4. Proximity to a decent hospital is important (15 minutes drive at the most)
5. School district is not an Issue

What cities would you recommned? Laurel? Columbia? Bowie? College park? Greenbelt? Beltsville?

Thank you folks for the collective wisdom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingroy View Post
What cities would you recommened? Laurel? Columbia? Bowie? College park? Greenbelt? Beltsville?
Given your transportation constraints, I know that Columbia and Greenbelt would work. In Columbia your husband could take the 310 or 320 Commuter bus. From Greenbelt he could take the Camden line MARC train. I think Columbia would be more likely to have the upscale grocery stores, however, I will leave it to you to check the locations. I know there are only a couple of Wegman's, one is in Columbia and another in Crofton. From Greenbelt, I am sure you can locate within a mile of a Safeway, but the neighborhood won't be a upscale as Columbia. Do you have budget limitations? Bowie might work also, I just am not familiar enough to say you could find a rental within a mile of a grocery store. The outer suburbs are just not that walkable.

Have you also checked the MTA buses going to Gaithersburg? Here: http://www.mtaiccbus.com/ Depending on where you work, they might give you additional options of living in Gambrills or Odenton.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-01-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Thank you golden age. Unfortunately, my place of work is not within walkable distance from the park & ride. So, even if I get goosebumps thinking about a 30 minute commute, I think I will be the one who will have to drive my husband's place of work is actually quite close to inner harbor in baltimore, close to camden yards.

My budget is upto $1800, but ideally $1500. I will look into columbia. Do you have specific recommendations on villages in columbia? Or ones to avoid? I will look into gambrills & odenton per your recommendation as well.

Thanks again. Your Inputs are much appreciated.

Last edited by bingroy; 09-01-2013 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
My budget is upto $1800, but ideally $1500. I will look into columbia. Do you have specific recommendations on villages in columbia? Or ones to avoid?
The older places in Wilde Lake have low-income rentals, and I'd suggest avoiding anything which sounds too cheap in Columbia.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I will be joining a new job in gaithersburg, MD.
My husband works in baltimore. Where would you recommend us to live.
In Baltimore...
(and for you to find some other job close to where you actually live)

The rest of your request is about enabling martyrdom.
That isn't good for anyone involved.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In Baltimore...
(and for you to find some other job close to where you actually live)

The rest of your request is about enabling martyrdom.
That isn't good for anyone involved.
Chuckled out aloud when I read this Thanks

Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The older places in Wilde Lake have low-income rentals, and I'd suggest avoiding anything which sounds too cheap in Columbia.
Hmm, as I am reading more on columbia, how much would you expect to pay for a 2BR apt in a decent neighborhood (say , the ones in which educated professionals live with young families). Or perhaps a large 1BR?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I was going to say that Gaithersburg has everything you want, and your husband can use the ICC to get to Baltimore. Columbia is the only other place that could possibly fit your requirements. You can take 95 or 29 to MD-200 (ICC) to Gaithersburg.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks dkf747! After a lot of searching, i could not find the ICC from gaithersburg to baltimore. Am I missing something obvious?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Thanks dkf747! After a lot of searching, i could not find the ICC from gaithersburg to baltimore. Am I missing something obvious?
If you drive east on I-370, and do not exit anywhere, you will be on it. 370 becomes MD-200 (ICC). See direct message I sent you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland