Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM

72 posts, read 448,353 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of selling my house in Gwynn Oak (Baltimore County). Today I recieved an offer on it, and I plan to accept it. I plan on moving to a garaged townhome in the Columbia/Ellicott City area. I know that there have been many threads on this area, so if this is duplicative, I apologize. I've been doing my own "market research" of the area, and I want to hear from some current residents, or at least some people who know about the area. I'm a Baltimore native, so I'm not brand new to the area. I current work in Ellicott City, and frequent many of the restaurants and other business establishments in Columbia/Ellicott City already.

I've heard good and bad things about the area. For instance, I've heard that the areas around the village centers where there are a lot of apartments are not so great. As a matter of fact, my cousin, who lives in Ellicott City, told me this about Columbia: stay away from areas that have this "trifecta"--liquor store, apartments, and village center. That seems to be a bit of a stretch to me, since that covers a large area. Would you guys agree?

I know that this area is no "utopia", but I want some honest feedback from those in the know. I didn't do enough research into the area where I currently live, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 PM

73 posts, read 515,136 times
You're spot on, at least that's what my girlfriend tells me who lives in kings contrivance. Basically all the areas that are reasonably priced (as reasonable as it can get in Columbia) are the ones you want to avoid

Old 10-16-2007, 12:22 PM

What I find also is that the homes in Ellicott City tend to be more expensive than the ones in Columbia. I'm also noticing that homes with gas heat (which I prefer, actually) are also more expensive.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,516 times
starr71, the fact that you're looking for a townhome with a garage IMO would most likely put you out of many of the questionable areas. It's hard to say anything more specific without knowing your price range or what area you would like to be in. Feel free to pm me if you have a specific question. I'm not a professional.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback newhart. Price max is $350K. That is something to consider.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:49 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,516 times
Do you know anything about the Dorsey Search area? There are several existing townhome communities with garages along Columbia Rd. They probably average about 15 - 20 years old and the area is very stable. The area north of Rt. 108 has an Ellicott City address and is within walking distance of the pool and village center. Crime does not seem to be a big problem in this area. South of Rt.108 has a Columbia address and the school district is different. I don't know what age home you're looking for, but I like this area, and I think there might be some resales in your price range. Ryan is building new townhomes in that area starting in the 390's.

The zips are 21044 (south of rt.108) and 21042 (north)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM

I work in Dorsey Search, so I'm very familiar with that area. I like it as well. In my opinion, it's northern Columbia, but where I work, we have an Ellicott City zip code. It's definitely up there as far as a desireable place to live.

I was considering the new Ryan townhomes, but was turned off by the fact that the HOA won't let you put up a fence. I need a fence because of my dog. Electric fences are out for me. I think they are cruel.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:21 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,670 times
$350k is your max? You may have a hard time. There is a garage townhouse in my neighborhood for sale, but I'm not sure what it's listed at. It's an end of unit- actually in Elkridge, but almost across the street from Ellicott City, in the 21075 zip. It's a wonderful neighborhood, and the elementary school is excellent.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 AM

jessy, I've come across quite a few in that price range. I'm also thinking that some sellers with homes listed over $350K will be motivated to accept a lower contract if their house has been sitting for months. Some have been out there for 6 months or more.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM

73 posts, read 515,136 times
It actually looks like there are at least a dozen that are around the $350k price range. Still to me that's extremely overpriced. You can get a nice single family home for that much in say owings mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland