Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 6,641 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how bad the commute would be if I lived in an apt in the Towson area and worked in Ft. Meade?
I'm from Dallas, with a present commute of 40 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM

29 posts, read 69,141 times
Hi! Wow that is alot of commute but not alot i knew a couple who lived in Rockville and worked in new egypt NJ!when you say townson do you mean the maryland townson or the texas townson? I dont know if texas has a toownson or not :-) anyways if youre working in Ft Meade why not.live in its area itself? The taxes and places is fsirly nice. Very close to stores and restaurants and malls snd schools.

Or Laurel. Right now Laurel is kind of going through a bad time buy a great time to buy homes with great ammenities. I had a couple of coworkers who worked in Ft Meade.and lived in Laurel and had three children go to.school there. There's a starbuck mcdonald safewat a korean supermarketany buffets red lobster...etc plus for around 299k you could get a 4 bd 3 bth with 2 car garage with 1/2 acre from what i saw at trulia pretty worth it ibsread of driving some forty miles a day. Use that time for other more productive things unless you do.like driving
thats my two.cent. )x

Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM

29 posts, read 69,141 times
I just thought of smth or Bowie or Coloumbia is also nice just alil no much bigger than Laurel check them down. Drive around and see if you likeethem x

Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityJunkie View Post
I was wondering how bad the commute would be if I lived in an apt in the Towson area and worked in Ft. Meade?
I'm from Dallas, with a present commute of 40 miles.
Fairly bad. You would be on the Baltimore Beltway from 30-40 minutes before you would get to the exit to I-95 south, and it is jammed and frequently under repair. I think it would be at an hour or more to Ft. Meade.

I suggest looking closer. For example they have developed some nice apartment complexes around Ft. Meade. If you want an urban area, look at downtown Baltimore instead.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 PM

764 posts, read 1,658,255 times
Do you enjoy spending lots of time in the car (over 60min without accidents)? If so, go for it Towson is a nice area. If you would like to try spending less time in the car there are plenty of places closer - even Annapolis would be better. Heck, the drive from Mt. Pleasant in DC to Ft. Meade is only 35-45 minutes (since you're going against traffic). Is there's a reason you picked Towson? If you want suburbs, look in Ellicott City/Columbia/Laurel. If you want urban/walkability look at downtown Baltimore (or even DC areas).

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you want an urban area, look at downtown Baltimore instead.
I've heard a lot negative things about urban Baltimore, now I don't necessarily believe them a.) because I've never been and b.) because I've heard people stereotype Dallas into a city it isn't, so could you possibly clear things up for me? I also have a truck that I'm not willing to give up, does DT Baltimore have efficient parking?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Do you enjoy spending lots of time in the car (over 60min without accidents)? ... Is there's a reason you picked Towson? If you want suburbs, look in Ellicott City/Columbia/Laurel. If you want urban/walkability look at downtown Baltimore (or even DC areas).
I'm not necessarily opposed to traffic; it doesn't bother me, nor does long distance driving. I've also sat in traffic for an hour not moving an inch, without an accident, to get to work. Though, if somewhere closer is perfect, then I will take it.
I picked the Towson area, because I've heard it's a nice area and it seems fairly established. It's also on the opposite end of Baltimore from DC and in DFW our, what we call, MidCities (Arlington, Euless, Grapevine etc.) have traffic all the time, so I'd like to stay out of the "MidCities" of Baltimore/DC.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

34,102 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
I was wondering how bad the commute would be Towson --> Ft. Meade?
Would you live in Grapevine if your job was in Waxahachie?
Look for a home SOUTH of Baltimore... not north of it.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
what we call, MidCities (Arlington, Euless, Grapevine etc.) have traffic all the time, so I'd like to stay out of the "MidCities" of Baltimore/DC.
The area between Washington and DC is suburban, and while the traffic is not light, it's not worth going an hour away to Towson to avoid the traffic. Columbia, Laurel, Hanover and Odenton are what you should be looking at.

Parking a truck in a downtown Baltimore neighborhood like Federal Hill would not be a good idea.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM

764 posts, read 1,658,255 times
Quote:
I'm not necessarily opposed to traffic; it doesn't bother me, nor does long distance driving. I've also sat in traffic for an hour not moving an inch, without an accident, to get to work. Though, if somewhere closer is perfect, then I will take it.
I picked the Towson area, because I've heard it's a nice area and it seems fairly established. It's also on the opposite end of Baltimore from DC and in DFW our, what we call, MidCities (Arlington, Euless, Grapevine etc.) have traffic all the time, so I'd like to stay out of the "MidCities" of Baltimore/DC.

I'm in Dallas now. The area between Baltimore and DC (south of the 695 loop to the 495 beltway) is rolling hills and lush trees especially if you're on MD295. There's no billboard signs and it's amazing how you can feel like your in the middle of nowhere/woods (expept for the cars.) I95 isn't as lush, but it's pretty, open space along the freeways - NOTHING like I30, I20, US75, I35E, etc. here in Dallas (so conjested, sparse (along I20 heading to FW), and junky with all the billboards - although I like the frontage road concept). Howard County (IMO) is an excellent place to live between DC/MD - it would be similar to Southlake, Flower Mound, Coppell (older and newer, reasonably priced and very expensive, large lots and tight devevlopments). You could also look toward the east of Ft. Meade - Anne Arundel county.

Remember too that gas is more expensive on the coasts, so your $3.30 in Dallas is going to be closer to $3.90 in Maryland (at least it was 3 weeks ago when we were visiting). With your truck, you could eat up a lot of money by living futher away. Going 20mph in an F150 gets you ??? 8 mpg...Keep the truck, live close in Ellicott City, Clarksville, Columbia, Elkridge, Laurel and have a nice 15 minute commute and take up a new hobby with all your 'extra' free time and gas money.

Last edited by carroll4628; 08-04-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland