Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 AM

6 posts, read 12,669 times

Advertisements

Looking for townhomes in this area, I am new to the area so I need to know if this town is considered safe. I know that there is no such a place where crime never occurs, but the prevalence that's what I am interested in knowing about, as I saw quite few nice properties within the amount I want to spend.

I checked the distance to Frederick where I will be working and it was roughly around 28 miles, but not aware if this is a bad commute or not. I will be reporting to work at 7:30 so if anyone knows about the commute and the area in terms of lifestyle.

Thank you for your valuable input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 06:39 AM

244 posts, read 574,134 times
Your commute will be fine as there are multiple ways to get into Frederick from Hagerstown. Although, during the summers on Friday evenings you may get some traffic heading to Deep Creek Lake on your way home.
As for Hagerstown, we lived off Rt. 65 years ago and it was fine. I would look around the outskirts of the downtown area and see what you can find...and the Northern area is nice too but further from Frederick. I think there are some newer townhomes in a development of Rt. 65...take the exit off I70 to 65S and go about 3/4 of a mile. On the left is a development...look back there for some. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM

461 posts, read 1,287,218 times
From the Dual Highway in Hagerstown to the Golden Mile in Frederick takes about 20 minutes. I prefer US 40, with no traffic, almost no risk of an accident tying up traffic, and a very pretty drive which takes a little longer. Most people do about 55mph on US 40.

The only place I would avoid is the immediate downtown area. Not because of crime so much, more of a "clientele" sort of thing (taking care of property, keeping noise down, etc). Honestly, I feel safe everywhere in town at any time, though I am male. Crime does happen, but tends to be more petty stuff like theft, fighting, etc. and I would guess it is average for a town this size.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,960,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky bird View Post
Looking for townhomes in this area, I am new to the area so I need to know if this town is considered safe. I know that there is no such a place where crime never occurs, but the prevalence that's what I am interested in knowing about, as I saw quite few nice properties within the amount I want to spend.

I checked the distance to Frederick where I will be working and it was roughly around 28 miles, but not aware if this is a bad commute or not. I will be reporting to work at 7:30 so if anyone knows about the commute and the area in terms of lifestyle.

Thank you for your valuable input.
Do you think there should add a bus rte here???

Old 04-23-2011, 04:35 PM

581 posts, read 1,174,865 times
I would think you'd be better off living in Frederick, I think its generally nicer than Hagerstown.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM

461 posts, read 1,287,218 times
There is a bus, I think it is the MTA 991 bus, leaves Hagerstown 2-3 times each morning, stops in Frederick, and ends at Shady Grove metro stop.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM

408 posts, read 993,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I would think you'd be better off living in Frederick, I think its generally nicer than Hagerstown.
I agree. The main reason people do the commute is the cost of housing used to be way cheaper in Hagerstown. Due to the housing bust, this is no longer the case. You can find just as nice and safe of a place to live in Frederick for no more (by the time you figure in gas), and do the drive to Hagerstown only a couple times a year for the blues festival and shopping outlets

Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM

25 posts, read 75,977 times
I read your earlier post about relocating your employment to Frederick. Knowing more about you from that post, I would recommend living in Frederick as there are more young people living there. Frederick may be more active as well compared to Hagerstown. I find Frederick to be more appealing to the younger generation whereas Hagerstown is more for families.

Or you could try living halfway between Frederick and DC - perhaps Gaithersburg area? The commute would be easy - I make the commute between Hagerstown and Rockville daily and getting from Gaithersburg to Frederick is a piece of cake - especially since you would be going opposite of rush hour traffic. Additionally, you would be within an easy commute of DC. Gaithersburg should be affordable for you if you're not looking for something too dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland