Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM

65 posts, read 235,982 times

Advertisements

How the outlook for this city? Job wise,and basic normal living activities? how bad is the Winter months? taxes.. Lastly could one make living good on income around 20k and less per year? Just looking for suggestion on how the life is,I know there are two good dirt tracks around the other but what else does it have? How could of i forgot to about asking how many bowling centers are in the area, ten pin and candle/duck pin bowling?

Last edited by Bowling Nut; 08-03-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM

25 posts, read 75,783 times
I know of one bowling alley. It's alright, nothing special but not rotting away either. They have both duck pin and standard bowling.. whatever you call it. (we don't go bowling much hehe)

I moved to Hagerstown last year from Carroll County MD. In my opinion, Hagerstown really excells with things to do. I'm surprised at how much there is to do within 30 minutes of Hagerstown. I never have to travel to Frederick, Baltimore, DC, Cumberland, PA/WV, etc...

SHOPPING: There is the prime outlets on the south end of the city, tons of stores (AE, Abercrombie, Nike, Baby Gap, etc etc). Two miles to the north on the other end of the city is a strip mall with your bigger stores (Dicks, Walmart, Home Depot, Borders, etc). In between is the Valley Mall, with everything a typical mall would have (Victoria Secret, Sunglass Hut, Aeropostale, etc)

OUTDOORS: Enourmous number of bike trails through the city AND through the various parks just outside the city. There's a number of state parks in the area, to take kids to, to go rock climbing, to hang at the lake, hiking, rafting and boating, etc. There's two zoos a little farther away, one towards Frederick and one towards Cumberland. The river at the MD/WV border has a number of trails and historic places to visit. Williamsport sits right on the water, and I visit there regularly. The mountains are all around nearby as well.

DOWNTOWN: A small number of upscale bars, clubs, lounges, restaruants downtown. I am not sure how popular they get, as I never get the opportunity to go. It's not like Baltimore's bars and clubs. The city park is in the center of the city - probably the most popular park in the city. The city and surrounding towns also has a number of historic places to visit and museums. Finally, the city does hold events throughout the year (christmas tree lighting, concerts, etc).

I don't know what $20,000 salary can get you. You'd have to check the rents for the apartments downtown I would say. Otherwise you can try finding just a room to rent in a townhouse or something. The surrounding areas are probably cheaper, just my guess, perhaps north or west of the city, outside of the city in the rural areas.

Life in hagerstown is easy. It's shocking to me to find that businesses are open only four days a week or only open from 9am-3pm. On a regular Friday you can find plenty of people out and about. People take it easy in Hagerstown, they don't work themselves to death like you may find around DC. The people are in general are friendly, and I think it would be easy to meet people here. Due to what Hagerstown has and of its location, you also get a lot of people coming from WV and PA to visit for shopping or for things to do.

Hagerstown is a family town though. Almost everyone I find here is a family - not a lot of young singles I don't think. At least, I never meet any. I have a fiance and a two year old - so Hagerstown is great for us. If I were single, I would probably rent a room in Frederick or Columbia instead.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,284 times
Two bowling alleys, one on US 40, one on Virginia Ave. I thnk both have duck and ten pin bowling. Some guy is in the process of remodeling a bowling alley in the north end that, when it opens, will be the third and probably the nicest. I second Jaykf014's info that he gave you.

I would check the local newspaper, the Herald-Mail, and look into renting a room in a house for a few hundred bucks a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland