Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times

Advertisements

If you have any concerns about the status of elder care for your Mother, then you should be very sure that you know exactly what the options are in Maine and particularly WHERE in Maine you are heading for before you make the move. If your mother's Alzheimer's deterriorates beyond the point where you can provide care for her, the ONLY viable option for you in Maine will be a nursing home, and that will be very expensive. There are no other options in Maine.

As primary care giver to my late uncle and aunt, I found out enough about it to strongly urge people who have specific sorts of health concerns to look elsewhere before making a move to Maine. When I assumed control of their expenses and finances, my aunt was in a nursing home because her Alzheimers has progressed beyond the point where my uncle could care for her. We ended up moving her to a nusing home in Ft. MYers, Florida for two reasons. First it enabled my Uncle to spend his last years without dealing with the Maine winters, and secondly, the Florida nursing home was nearly $1200 less per month than identical nursing care in Maine. When my uncle failed to the point that he needed a locked door facility to properly care for him, I moved him into a new locked door assisted living facility (he was resident number 16 in a facility built for a maximum of 32), which was only private pay, and was STILL a few hundred dollars a month less than a regular nursing home in Maine would have cost.

Maine has few elder care options and the ones it has are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,999 times
Sounds like you would like Calais, Eastport, Machias too.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,152 times
I didn't notice if you planned to find work in Maine, but I DON'T advise you moving to Maine unless you have previously arranged employment, if you plan to work. For all its good points, Maine is a poor state and it can be very hard to find employment here. Many people move here for all the right reasons, but just can't live here at a standard they are accustomed to. Then they either become destitute here, or lose tons of money moving back to where they came from.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there is a Alzheimer's care facility in Rockland (just in case you ever needed help):

Residential Care Facility - Alzheimer’s Care Residences - Woodlands Assisted Living of Rockland - Central Maine, Mid-Maine

It's located about approx. 7 miles south of Camden.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there is a Alzheimer's care facility in Rockland (just in case you ever needed help):

Residential Care Facility - Alzheimer’s Care Residences - Woodlands Assisted Living of Rockland - Central Maine, Mid-Maine

It's located about approx. 7 miles south of Camden.

This facility is a redevelopment of Shorelands Nursing Care that my late Aunt resided in until we moved her to Florida. It was a very nice professional nursing home then, and I am sure that it is an outstanding Alzheimer's facility now, at a very premium price.

I doubt very much that there is a single bed here for anyone but those who have significantly deep pockets.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
If you like clean fresh water, everything you want is in Lincoln.

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,439 times
Funny, Starwalker! E. Corinth was the first thing to pop into my mind. Just far enough out, but not Guilford or Milo far, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with either one. Fambly in Garland.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Funny, Starwalker! E. Corinth was the first thing to pop into my mind. Just far enough out, but not Guilford or Milo far, if you know what I mean. Not that there's anything wrong with either one. Fambly in Garland.
I would not say that most of the homes in Corinth are within walking distance of a store. We do not have much of a downtown (though there are a couple of banks, a Family Dollar store, doctors office, and even a couple of massage therapists, an insurance agent, a pizza place and a couple of gas stations, and a grocery store with a Dunkin Doughnuts and Subway franchise inside. No places that sell alcohol (for that you have to go to Levant, to the store where I work!) We used to have 2 hardware stores but now have none; soon there will be a lumber yard, aimed mostly at contractor business, opening. There is a veterinarian and a decent restaurant... (not gourmet, just plain food, but the apple pie is to die for) the Countryside.

I am in West Corinth, which has a car repair shop. Period. Oh, and my businesses.. which I cannot mention of course.

Because I was not sure where I would end up in the Bangor area, I still do my banking and have my PO box in Bangor; go in once a week, usually, for errands. There is no pharmacy that I know of here unless the doctor's office happens to have one. We still patronize the physician we found in Milo, as K likes her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine