Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 PM

233 posts, read 418,117 times

Advertisements

I always hear the stories in the wintertime about Maine getting like 6 feet of snow at a time. Does everyone up there have like 4WD Pick-Ups or can a normal car do ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
Any normal front wheel drive car would be fine, and sometimes you WILL be snowed in, no matter what kind of car you have!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Any normal front wheel drive car would be fine, and sometimes you WILL be snowed in, no matter what kind of car you have!
What s/he said. I've lived in Maine for a looong time, and never driven a 4WD vehicle despite commuting almost 80 miles every day. Each year, come the first snow storm of the season, I can count on seeing three or four cars off the road on the way to or from work, and they are almost without exception 4WD vehicles whose drivers think they're invincible because they're in a 4WD.

And it's been, oh months since we've had a storm that dropped six feet of snow at a time! (Actually, it's like never. Our worst storm this winter dropped eight nches of snow.)

Also, it's good to remember that this is Maine, not D.C. or NYC where an inch of snow paralyzes the city for days at a time. Our local and state highway departments know how to handle snow, and for the most part so do our drivers.

Last edited by Coaster; 06-02-2007 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
What s/he said. I've lived in Maine for a looong time, and never driven a 4WD vehicle despite commuting almost 80 miles every day. Each year, come the first snow storm of the season, I can count on seeing three or four cars off the road on the way to or from work, and they are almost without exception 4WD vehicles whose drivers think they're invincible because they're in a 4WD.
Note to OP- 4WD is very helpful at allowing you to get moving in snow (and very fast, if you are so inclined), but it does nothing to help when you need to stop! Like Coaster, I have seen cocky drivers, driving their undestructable SUVs, pass me in a snowstorm because I was going too slow, only to see them in the ditch a few miles later... Also 4WD does nothing to help with black ice or freezing rain conditions, which are also common enough up here. FWIW, I drive a mini-van and have never had a problem getting where I wanted to go, as long as I used common sense about when to go (or not)...

Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times
For quite a long time I was a high miles driver servicing the clients of my business. I travelled from Portland to Caribou and all the way down the coast in all weather. During the winter, I used studded tires on all four wheels (rear wheel drive), and never had a problem.

Since I sold all of that life and moved along, I now have only four wheel drive vehicles (Audis and 4-wheel drive trucks). Since most manufacturers make all wheel drive cars as well as SUV's, I would never buy a car with ony front wheel drive and never EVER buy a rear wheel drive car or truck for year round use.

It isn't that a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive car or truck can't make it in the winter. It is all about "WHY BOTHER?", when the surety of all wheel drive means that you can always...or almost always...make it out and to where you need to go and back.

Subaru just makes vehicles with all wheel drive and they are very popular in Maine because of their all weather reliability at a good price, apparently. (If only they weren't so ugly....but I digress....)

Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
Alot has to do with the driver. I have place in Maine and plenty of people get around just fine in all seasons with just front wheel drive.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:40 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
What kind of vehicle?
1. One that starts every morning.
2. One with good taars.
3. One with a good heater/ac.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
(Actually, it's like never. Our worst storm this winter dropped eight nches of snow.)

parts of Maine got a LOT more than that all at once during this part winter.....

Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
From what I have seen:

1- Every morning the roads have been cleared, regardless of how much snow fell the night before.

2- I have seen 4WD folks stuck in the ditches.

3- I have seen rearWD vehicles fish-tailing and sliding around [just about daily during the winter].

4- We drive two FWD vehicles and neither of us has fish-tailed, nor gone off the road.

I also drive a goldwing, and I have found that goldwings on black ice do not handle well.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
parts of Maine got a LOT more than that all at once during this part winter.....
we did....in April.....on TOP of the green grass......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: