Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM

30 posts, read 102,884 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started thinking of building a home in Maine I've been looking around at different kinds of septic systems. It's fun for me. I stumbled across the Enviro-Septic website today and am wondering if they are the real deal. Enviro-Septic is a NH company that has approvals to install their equipment in 6 states (including Maine) and all of Canada. The leachfield is covered with tiny fibers that help clear up to 98% of contaminates before hitting soil. Thir system is able to do what a regular leachfield can do at up to 40% less than the cost of a regular septic system. It seems to me like a revolutionary product, but I may just be drinking the company Kool-Aid. I read somewhere that there was a tract with 4 homes that were scheduled to have mound septic installed and they were all able to switch to the Enviro-septic system and save thousands.

So I'm curious, does anyone know of anyone who's tried it out?

http://www.presbyeco.com/products/enviro-septic/

Last edited by ccosborne3; 02-02-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: I'm a perfectionist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccosborne3 View Post
Ever since I started thinking of building a home in Maine I've been looking around at different kinds of septic systems. It's fun for me. I stumbled across the Enviro-Septic website today and am wondering if they are the real deal. Enviro-Septic is a NH company that has approvals to install their equipment in 6 states (including Maine) and all of Canada. The leachfield is covered with tiny fibers that help clear up to 98% of contaminates before hitting soil. Thir system is able to do what a regular leachfield can do at up to 40% less than the cost of a regular septic system. It seems to me like a revolutionary product, but I may just be drinking the company Kool-Aid. I read somewhere that there was a tract with 4 homes that were scheduled to have mound septic installed and they were all able to switch to the Enviro-septic system and save thousands.

So I'm curious, does anyone know of anyone who's tried it out?

Enviro-Septic® - Septic System | Leach Field | Onsite Wastewater Treatment | Presby Environmental

Our system at the camp has those presby tubes. It also used a lot of sand. I have no idea if the tubes had all that stuff wrapped around them or not. It is all within 100' of the lake water. The cost was cheaper than a system built around our house, but was expensive for down there. At least that is what the locals told me.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The Geo-flow pipe leach field system was invented in Maine in 1990. I installed a system at my home in 1992. It has been trouble free. It can be installed on a slope and you retain the natural contour of the ground. You don't need a basketball size flat place on your property with this system. If you are on a slope, this can be the most economical septic system to install. The pipes can curve, but each pipe must be level. Just picture a level road or path that curves along a slope as a contour line does on a map.

GEO-flow® Corrugated HDPE Pipe

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Interesting, our system is a flat 'bed' which makes a low mound: a layer of stone then perforated pipes all covered with sand and sod.

Looking at these; are they still laid on a layer of stone and covered with sand?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM

You don't need to buy crushed rock with this system if you have porous soil on site. If you have a clay type soil you do need to have crushed stone. In my case, I just put the pipes very level in the ground. The post above mine mentions the Euro-septic product. There is vigorous bacteria working in that system and in Geo-flow that breaks down the last of the waste before it goes into ground water. Such tertiary systems are used in Florida to irrigate golf courses.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:45 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have seen lagoon systems in Southern areas that worked well too. But I do not think such would function here.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 PM

34 posts, read 104,456 times
I installed mine last summer. Lots of coarse sand and the pipe ain't cheap!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM

There are level sites and areas where the conventional system is the most economical way to go. If you are on a slope a septic system can get expensive. Then it's prudent to explore the alternatives. Some soil test guys only know one way to provide a system design and it's based on the number of bedrooms. Ask around and find somebody who knows enough to design a system for a slope or an alternative system.

There is a radio program out of Bangor every Saturday morning called "Hot and Cold". They cover all manner of home projects, not just heating and insulation. They have a guest from time to time called "The Septic Lady". She is actually a professor at the university and she demolishes the superstitions about septic systems. I like listening when she is on. The best example is the amount of money people waste every year buying "septic treatments". They are a complete waste of money and have no beneficial effect on your septic system.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM

29 posts, read 71,958 times
MAKE sure that your town or township or whatever that licenses these thing will accept it.

I looked into that one in my property in PA, but the local sewage enforcement officer would NOT accept it. He said that I would need a soil scientist and a professional engineer develop something. Maine is more progressive than PA about septic, but be sure that the local licensing board will put an acceptance in writing, and in a contract that an attorney would accept, before you give them any money.

RIM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine