Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM

228 posts, read 475,476 times

Advertisements

Hey-llo Guys and Gals!

Just curious about the cell phone carriers in Central - Northern Maine?

We are still planning a move up in or around June (not that far away) and my daughter was asking what cellular companies are up there. We are leaning towards Arostook County. I told her that I would post the question to the people who know!

Thanks in advance!!!

~ Win (tim works and never posts...la la la)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
I bought property where an adjoining property has a cellphone repeater tower. I located that company and got service from them, a small local company.

Recently Verizon bought them out, so now I use Verizon. It seems to work okay most places that I go.

My cellphone provides a much cleaner audio than our landline does.

It is not uncommon when folks call our landline, that we have to shift the conversation over to the cellphone.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 31,075 times
How about AT&T, how is reception for them up there?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,713,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcla16 View Post
How about AT&T, how is reception for them up there?
Spotty. My brother has AT&T and I have Verizon. On a recent hunting trip to The County I had much better coverage than he did.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:59 PM

264 posts, read 760,654 times
My husband and I are moving up to our house in Maine soon... Last year he had verizon and I had ATT... We were both out of contract and knowing we were moving up this year we deciding to go with whichever company worked best..

We went up with both our phones last year (regular cells at the time) and his worked WAY better then mine all over the state. So I changed to verizon.

Now last month, my parents went up with me to our house in the Lincoln area (lowell - down rt 188).

My verizon phone is 3G and worked ALL over. Spotty service at times in remote places, but still did work

My son has verizon but a normal cheaper phone... his worked better then my parents 3G in remote areas that we just could not get an ATT signal... but not as well as my 3G verizon phone.

My parents had 3G I-phones (ATT) --- worked on rt 95, worked in Lincoln, worked in bangor, ----- DID NOT work down rt 188 headed towards Lowell, did NOT work in remote areas...they couldn't get service in most of acadia either

So basically... my overall experience.... Verizon works WAY better then ATT in Maine... unless your only in cities, then att worked fine.

I don't know about smaller companies..

Old 10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 826,315 times
I have Verizon service and have had no problems from Bangor on down. Can't speak for much past Bangor, the few times I had to use the phone around Ellsworth and Bar harbor, was no problem. But not enough useage to give a fair assessment in those areas. Verizon, as far as I know, has put in towers all up along I95. Over the last couple of years I have noticed a marked improvement because of this.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM

973 posts, read 2,388,351 times
If you move to the County you won't need to worry about AT&T working anyway. If your billing address is in the County you won't qualify for AT&T. Companies available are US Cellular, Verizon, and T-Mobile. I have a Verizon work phone and T-Mobile personal cell and the T-Mobile works best in remote areas of the County...at least that's my observation.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,408,965 times
I have USCellular........... so far it's worked fine. I'm just a tad NE of Lincoln.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,496,646 times
I don't know about the county, but in downeast Maine, north of Ellsworth, you probably should use US Cellular. Verizon roams on the Canadian towers on the coast. $$$

Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 PM

566 posts, read 1,420,468 times
I use US Cellular and love it. We get reception on Pleasant Ridge Plantation when we go "upta camp". I have a Verizon cell phone for work and I do not get reception up there with that. Pleasant Ridge is outside of Bingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine