Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 625,286 times

Advertisements

What can a smoker expect in rural ME?
Looked down upon, shunned, second class citizen?
I am a very considerate smoker - don't litter my butts, try to gain an adequate distance from others, never smoke indoors, etc.
Is ME anti-smoker in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM

228 posts, read 474,847 times
you forgot about the big question...how much do cigarettes go for up there?

I don't smoke, but the price around here has went up big time...use to be $3.25 for name brand, $1.99 for off brand....now they are almost $6.00 for name and $4.00 for off brand.. ..unless you find them on sale. Not sure if other states picked up raising prices.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM

44 posts, read 78,531 times
As a smoker myself, I'm a light smoker averaging 1/2 pack a day, I wondered about this as well before my trip up last weekend. During my orientation for my new job the field supervisor asked the group if there were any smokers. Of the 8 that attended 4 including myself were smokers. She told us that anytime we needed a smoke break to let her know and we could go outside to smoke. The other 3 smokers were locals. Also cigs I was told by another attendee were expensive. A pack of Marlboros she told me are around 7.25 a pack and 70.00 a carton. She also told me about the local smoke shop in Presque Isle that will roll you a carton for 25.00.

I found the general atmosphere to be tolerant of others, respectful and I never felt out of place or like I was an outsider. It felt like I was home and I can't wait to get back. I felt a sense of acceptance, there was just a feeling of being accepted that I really can't explain.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,206,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
What can a smoker expect in rural ME?
Looked down upon, shunned, second class citizen?
I am a very considerate smoker - don't litter my butts, try to gain an adequate distance from others, never smoke indoors, etc.
Is ME anti-smoker in general?
SMOKER'S!!!OK I'm gona lay it on the line as most of you know how i am.
1.what can a smoker expect in rural maine?
if he/she are in a rural aria they can expect a drive to the store not a walk to the store.
2.looked down upon,shunned,second class citizen?
come on dude!! who do you think mainers are?ya we are gona drive by your house and throw throw signs up sayin butt head lives here. we have better things to do then judge people because they smoke.you smoking is the last thing we will make fun of you about.well maybe not last but a close 3rd.
besides the president smokes if its good enough for him then your good to go
we dont care.and if some one does then they will tell you, we aint shy.
maine isn't some twilit zone we do every thing in maine as other people do in other states.people smoke.
some smoke cig's some smoke pipe's,some smoke the dope,i smoke the tires on my nova every now and then.we are just normal people. well most are im not.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 PM

92 posts, read 226,522 times
I don't smoke but I definitely work with enough people that do.

Smoking isn't allowed anywhere except basically in your house, your car, and people seem to get away with it outside of bars and buildings. Some businesses actually have structures for people to go smoke in during the winter.

We don't go throwing tar at smokers houses or anything like that, nor do we go painting someones mailbox "SMOKER".

Cigarettes are such a big business, the State of Maine continue to raise taxes on them to help fund pet projects.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:30 PM

137 posts, read 625,286 times
Sorry Ranger, I didn't mean to offend ( I know, it's just your way).
Here's a story from when I lived on the West coast, and why I ask in the first place.

A guy and his two little kids are outside this gas station with a map spread out on the hood. They ask me for directions and I help them out as best I can and we small talk for a while, yada, yada , yada.
I go into the gas station to get cigs, the guy and his kids are behind me in line. I make my purchase, turn to go and I see him and wish him " good luck " .
The guy says, " Are you really buying cigarettes? Wow, I never would have figured you for a Smoker." The look on his face was sort of a mix of shock and disgust, like he couldn't believe he just had a pleasant conversation with a Smoker.

This was in Bellingham , WA. , by the way, not Cali, as you would expect this type of reaction.
Anyway, that's why I ask. Seems some people DO have time to judge others based on their vices and habits. Make no mistake, if Mainers are as accepting as I keep hearing about, you are an exceptional breed.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,936,890 times
I have absolutely NO problem with anyone who smokes.

Just so long as they don't exhale.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 AM

48,174 posts, read 22,024,577 times
I have one son who smokes (a lot) and another son who "chews"; I am a reformed smoker and on the high end of finding smoking unpleasant and toxic! We get along just fine....mutual regard and respect.

The prices of cigarettes are staggering to me......when I smoked I smoked about 2 1/2 packs a day......that would put me in the county farm now-a-days!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,703,322 times
Maine has one of the highest rates of people who smoke. I used to be the only advanced life support EMT in town. When I called in a report of a patient inbound it would go like this:

"This is Unit 1 inbound with a 55 year old female smoker complaining of chest pain - followed by vitals IV in etc and the ETA.

Once in a while I was asked why I threw in that the PT was a smoker. It's so the ER will know what they are getting. How would I know the PT is a smoker? Because their breath smells like a damp ash tray.

Maine government loves smokers and gamblers for the taxes they bring in.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:40 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,174,079 times
Since you are considerate of others - while you may get the occasional "hairy eyeball" as you're standing outside in a blizzard while smoking your cigarette, most people mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: