Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Not all men have been emasculated.

Some of us do wear a beard.

There is nothing wrong with a beard.

I hope one day to grow my beard out a bit longer.
In the immortal words of Geroge Carlin (RIP) See my beard ??? Aint it weird?? Don't be skeered...it's just my beard!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
RANGER.101ST : I'm choosing to believe you were exhibiting some of that Yankee humor when you wrote " I'm collage educated..." LMAO!

Nothing wrong with Hicks, Hoosiers, Hillbillies, or plain old Country Folk. However, I draw the line at bigots, racists, misogynists, .... anyone with a very small mind whose reaction to anything they don't understand is Anger and intentional Ignorance. For the sake of clarity, we can replace the term "redneck" with "small minded person" for my purposes in starting this thread. There may also be some who say I've tried to reduce all of Maine to clusters of stereotypes, and while that may be technically correct, I did so in order to simplify my question (s). My intent was to gain general knowledge about the varying sub-cultures I thought ( in some cases hoped) would be represented in Maine society.

Now, that being said;
Yes, I have a college degree.
Yes, I have a beard.
Yes, I have my share of Carhart apparel, as well as some other trendy outdoorsy type wear. ( when it comes to clothing, you get what you pay for).

No, I don't want to change anything about Mainer's lifestyle choices.
No, I don't have perfect teeth (too much Ben & Jerry's)
and No, I don't give a damn about keeping up with anyone.

All in all, from what I've seen on this forum, I think I could get along quite nicely in ME.
Maine has many cultures sorta like a good gumbo you dont know whats in it but it sure is good.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post

Nothing wrong with Hicks, Hoosiers, Hillbillies, or plain old Country Folk. However, I draw the line at bigots, racists, misogynists, .... anyone with a very small mind whose reaction to anything they don't understand is Anger and intentional Ignorance. For the sake of clarity, we can replace the term "redneck" with "small minded person" for my purposes in starting this thread. There may also be some who say I've tried to reduce all of Maine to clusters of stereotypes, and while that may be technically correct, I did so in order to simplify my question (s). My intent was to gain general knowledge about the varying sub-cultures I thought ( in some cases hoped) would be represented in Maine society.

Now, that being said;
Yes, I have a college degree.
Yes, I have a beard.
Yes, I have my share of Carhart apparel, as well as some other trendy outdoorsy type wear. ( when it comes to clothing, you get what you pay for).

No, I don't want to change anything about Mainer's lifestyle choices.
No, I don't have perfect teeth (too much Ben & Jerry's)
and No, I don't give a damn about keeping up with anyone.

All in all, from what I've seen on this forum, I think I could get along quite nicely in ME.
I like the way you think. Yes, I think that you would assimilate quite nicely here in our little frozen "Rome."

Speaking as a "Native"...sighhh...how 'bout we just say "born and raised in" Mainer I'll say welcome!

As far as your previous post about no one discouraging you with the economy, the lack of job opportunities, or the damndable cold, I will only speak for myself when I say that after posting pretty much the same advice time and time again, I feel like a broken record. When I read your posts, I'm thinking that I know a whole lot of people up here with the same mindset that you have, so people who post like you do don't concern me as much as the ones who have some sort of a preconceived notion of what our beautiful state is like - often from a tourism perspective.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Not all men have been emasculated.

Some of us do wear a beard.

There is nothing wrong with a beard.

I hope one day to grow my beard out a bit longer.

Heh heh...there's nothing wrong with beards.

I have to giggle 'tho since I know you are ex-military, and I have to mention the running bets that we (in my military family) have about how long it takes a retiree to grow their hair down to their butts and a don a big beard . Usually, it begins 10 minutes after they walk out the door following discharge (often following the kicking up of heels out the gate). I attribute it to "sweet freedom" lol...

I always have to budget the cost of a new electric razor into the monthly expenses if my husband goes on vacation for more than a week since his beard is on par with a wire brush as it grows out, and he usually blows them up the night before he has to go back to work.

The exception would be my father-in-law and a handful of other retirees I know who remain clean-shaven.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Heh heh...there's nothing wrong with beards.

I have to giggle 'tho since I know you are ex-military, and I have to mention the running bets that we (in my military family) have about how long it takes a retiree to grow their hair down to their butts and a don a big beard . Usually, it begins 10 minutes after they walk out the door following discharge (often following the kicking up of heels out the gate). I attribute it to "sweet freedom" lol...

I always have to budget the cost of a new electric razor into the monthly expenses if my husband goes on vacation for more than a week since his beard is on par with a wire brush as it grows out, and he usually blows them up the night before he has to go back to work.

The exception would be my father-in-law and a handful of other retirees I know who remain clean-shaven.
I used a straight razor during the times in my career when I had to shave.

Fortunately most of my career I was allowed to wear a full beard. I always truly enjoyed doing things on bases where servicemembers were not generally allowed to wear a beard. Especially in the NCO clubs. I have been approached many times by the bouncer, as I was entering Air Force NCO clubs.

My last duty station did not allow it, though I began growing this one 90 days before my retirement date.

Living in Ct, whenever I was out in public. An interesting ritual that I observed was that whenever another man with a beard came into where I was [be it a restaurant, or store or whatever] they had to make eye-contact at some point and nod their heads.

Kind of like bikers saluting each other.

There are so few men who grew beards in Ct, so many employers that do not allow it, or wives who do not allow it. That it is a rarity to see.

The same when I travel to California. It is a rarity, and men who do wear one, will perform a silent ritual salute to each other.

I have come across the topic in both my theology and history studies. It makes an interesting topic in how men perceive themselves, and in who controls them.

Here in Maine; beards are a common sight. Men perceive themselves differently, and men feel they have a greater degree of control over themselves and their destinies.

[ if your DH's "beard is on par with a wire brush" may I suggest shampoo and a conditioner to soften the stubble, until it becomes soft on it's own. Short hair is nearly always bristle-like, imagine a lady's leg hair as it is growing out. But if it is allowed to grow it will become soft. It will soften faster with a good shampoo and conditioner. ]

Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
[ if your DH's "beard is on par with a wire brush" may I suggest shampoo and a conditioner to soften the stubble, until it becomes soft on it's own. Short hair is nearly always bristle-like, imagine a lady's leg hair as it is growing out. But if it is allowed to grow it will become soft. It will soften faster with a good shampoo and conditioner. ]

Good to know when he retires, but alas, he can't have one where he is either.

Back on topic, I think that Ranger made a good point with the Gumbo comment.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM

20 posts, read 43,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Not all of us have beards and missing teeth though I do like a nice flannel shirt. Our house has paint on it, we have a nice new foreign car and we mow the grass too. There isn't a junk car on the property or an engine hanging from a tripod in the whole neighborhood. Our family owns a camp on the ocean with a deep water dock, our kids have either graduated or are attending college. We dine at good restaurants, drink top shelf spirits, buy clothing in the upscale shops and enjoy a vacation somewhere warm in the winter. We were born and raised here and consider ourselves as Yankee as anyone else. We don't like being judged either, by the way!
Hilarious! You even mow the grass and paint your home?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 43,872 times
Yeah..beards are really popular here....well..it's freezing out and heck...why not. The airline workers from away can tell who's getting on the "Bangher" flight as they call it because of beards being so popular here in Maine...Alaska also

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights2 View Post
Hilarious! You even mow the grass and paint your home?
I know it's a freak show isn't it? We have people come from miles around to see the lawn and take pictures of the paint.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,787 times
Quote:
I used a straight razor during the times in my career when I had to shave.

Fortunately most of my career I was allowed to wear a full beard. I always truly enjoyed doing things on bases where servicemembers were not generally allowed to wear a beard. Especially in the NCO clubs. I have been approached many times by the bouncer, as I was entering Air Force NCO clubs.

I started growing my beard after falling on the ice and ripping off my right quadriceps. During the recuperation period it was too difficult to stand on one leg long enough to shave, so I let my beard grow out. Now my wife doesn't want me to shave it at all.

When I was on active duty in the Air Force I was stationed at Tyndall AFB in Florida for tech training several times. The first time was in the summer and I had some sort of alergic reaction to something that caused my neck and chin to get infected....looked like a minor case of acne, but was impossible to shave.

The flight surgeon prescribed some high tech stuff to use and also prescribed that I should not shave as long as the infection lasted. I carried that prescription in my shirt pocket and hardly a day went by when someone...ALMOST every one...would stop me and ask why I hadn't shaved. I was a second lieutenant at the time, and EVERYONE outranked me! I really enjoyed whipping out my little document that told eveyone that I couldn't shave for medical reasons!

Tyndall was a major training base and the deputy base commander used to go through the housing area and measure the hight of the grass! Haircuts and beards were easy marks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine