Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:17 PM

137 posts, read 625,358 times

Advertisements

OK, I've been reading other threads by others who are interested in ME as an option for relocation. One in particular I found interesting was the one titled " Moving to ME for strange reasons" , or something like that.
This young couple wants to move to ME , sight unseen. I have seen post after post trying to deter them. I would not advocate that type of move either ( been there , done that), it never turns out well.
So, based on this other post, why is no one trying to talk me out of it? Not that I want to be talked out of , or into anything. I'm just curious. If anyone has comments concerning the lack of medical services, jobless rate, expensive housing , etc., let it fly.
I would never relocate even to a neighboring state without doing as much research, reconnaissance, and due diligence as is humanly possible. I had a relocation attempt to Washington state that did not work out and will NEVER put myself or my family through that again.
One more question; Has anyone ever been to, or spent quality time in Northern Minnesota - specifically Ely , MN.? I saw that someone compared ME to Alaska, and when I lived in Ely we were compared to Alaska as well.
Anyone? Anyone?

I should add that I have an extensive plan in place, before uprooting my family and moving there. IF we decide to make the change, I will have spent at least six months working and living there myself, while my wife will have visited at least twice for an extended stay. Also, I live in St. Louis, just as the young couple mentioned above.
Thanks.

Last edited by grubbyhubby; 09-17-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby View Post
OK, I've been reading other threads by others who are interested in ME as an option for relocation. One in particular I found interesting was the one titled " Moving to ME for strange reasons" , or something like that.
This young couple wants to move to ME , sight unseen. I have seen post after post trying to deter them. I would not advocate that type of move either ( been there , done that), it never turns out well.
So, based on this other post, why is no one trying to talk me out of it? Not that I want to be talked out of , or into anything. I'm just curious. If anyone has comments concerning the lack of medical services, jobless rate, expensive housing , etc., let it fly.
I would never relocate even to a neighboring state without doing as much research, reconnaissance, and due diligence as is humanly possible. I had a relocation attempt to Washington state that did not work out and will NEVER put myself or my family through that again.
One more question; Has anyone ever been to, or spent quality time in Northern Minnesota - specifically Ely , MN.? I saw that someone compared ME to Alaska, and when I lived in Ely we were compared to Alaska as well.
Anyone? Anyone?

I should add that I have an extensive plan in place, before uprooting my family and moving there. IF we decide to make the change, I will have spent at least six months working and living there myself, while my wife will have visited at least twice for an extended stay. Also, I live in St. Louis, just as the young couple mentioned above.
Thanks.

I think there are two things that are really important for people to know about moving to Maine, and you have scored high points for each one. First of all, you said the magic words in your first sentence: "I am checking out a JOB opportunity".....those are the magic words.

Secondly, while you appear to be politically liberal, you have been careful to assert that you are non-judgemental and not particularly intersted in forcing others to think as you do. Furthermore, you are interested in living somewhere outside of Greater Generica, with its shopping hubs, traffic lights and endless amounts of turning lanes.

I would venture to say that an enormous number of people posting here are looking to escape from "Generica", and they think Maine will be the perfect place to escape to. What most of these people want though, is to have everything as it was back in ____________________(you fill in the missing blank: San Diego, San Francisco, Dallas, Newark, Miami...etc), with stores, theaters, restaurants and boutique shops on each and every corner. What most people are NOT ready for is a place where there are few CORNERS, let alone the other trappings of Generica.

You are planning carefully and planning well. You seem open to the new challenges of living in a rural climate and your attitude will hold you well when you come to Maine. It also sounds like if it doesn't work out, you are not afraid to try something else, and that is an important attitudinal skill to have when moving to Maine from anywhere for any reason.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:35 AM

461 posts, read 797,989 times
My daughter lives in Minneapolis, we go quite often, always for Christmas. IMO, her weather makes our seem tropical.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:39 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbyhubby
This young couple wants to move to ME , sight unseen. I have seen post after post trying to deter them. I would not advocate that type of move either ( been there , done that), it never turns out well. ...
I think that it is possible that among the people who have recently moved to Maine; I may express one of the more positive attitudes about Maine. [set within a background choir of negative sounding voices]

I generally admonish folks to come and tour Maine, first.

I think that I have said this many times.

A few times, when the person has a pension, or has a guaranteed job awaiting them, or is self-employed and can bring their job with them; then I have urged them to come to Maine. To rent an apartment for 6-months, while they tour Maine to see what region of Maine best suits them.

The difference being that they are coming to Maine without the added need of job-hunting.

I am on pension, and my employer provides for me healthcare coverage. So those two needs are covered for us. The rest is cake. I can move anywhere, and the biggest concerns are already taken care of. So it is with most retirees.

Or self-employed folk with a portable business.

Or folks who have a guaranteed job, or a job skill that will get them immediately hired.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM

87 posts, read 252,119 times
Yes, it is the job thing, Grub. The job. Strange Reasons has a craft business. That is a business, not a job, and I did not know that it was on-line, so now that she has said that, I can only hope that her on-line orders bring in enough money to make a living. Hopefully she does not expect to sell anything here at Craft Fairs. We only have 1.3 million people and they all make their own crafts. And of course, Grub or Butterfly, we all recognize each other as related here, and that is the biggie. But it's Old World. That was what I had to re-adjust to. Real. Old. Mundane, Mundane in the definitive sense of the word, meaning Worldly. I can hardly wait for you to arrive. Another miracle in Washington, Maine.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Caldwell View Post
Washington, Maine is one of my destination corners. I love Washington, Maine. I love the people in Washington, Maine. What an odd place. It has a magic strip right through that little tiny place, with a glut of very progressive talented people. There was an old old lady there for a very long time who built her own solar system that was igger than her abode. I bought my homing pigeons from one couple who were from away. They found peace in Washington. There is the best relfexologist there in the world. The one church in the village corner had a bunch of ladies that made the most huge Raggedy Ann dolls anyone has ever seen for their far-away offering (to some kids in an African country). Huge. They were so big that they had to have an open house because everyone wanted to see those dolls. The back-to-the landers are doing hydroponics after being put out of business when just beginning to make a living with their trout raising project because the State Environmentalists from Augusta said they were a threat to the salmon, and it took three years to defend themselves, so they went into hydroponics instead and now ... well anyway. If you have a chance to learn from someone in Washington, Maine, I believe you will experience magic. Maine is real alright. Washington is something else, right in the middle of real.
I used to drive through Washington, Me every day on my way to and from work in Camden. There was an older fella there who ran Washington Stove Works. He was a woodstove genius! He could make or get any part for any wood stove ever made and his shop was fascinating. He had the molds to make a new liner for my antique Glenwood kitchen stove so we could get it running again. I had him make two sets and gave him about $50.00 more than what he wanted to charge me as it was so little. I really liked listening to him and stopped by often on my drive. I'm sure he's gone now as I have not been back through Washington in several years now.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM

All right Deb, and all others tracking this thread.
Here is the situation in its entirety.
My wife and I met in Ely MN, literally at the end of the road - its at the end of two state roads, nearly surrounded by the Boundary Waters Wilderness Area ( about a million acres of lakes and woods and butts up on the Canadian side with another 2 million acre wilderness, Quetico Provincial Park).
We lived there for 8 years until 1999. Had our first son at home, in the cabin we rented on 5 acres, no running water. We did not live that way out of poverty, though we are not nor ever have been wealthy. We chose that life early on in our twenties. When our son was born, we moved to St. Louis , as it is very hard to make a living in a place so remote ( as most Mainers know).
Since leaving MN, I have learned a trade and feel I can work almost anywhere now. My wife has begun Waldorf teacher training as her chosen path.
Now roughly 12 years later, I have acquired a substantial skill set and worked from the Midwest ( St. Louis ) , to the West coast in Northwest Washington state. I find myself here in STL , jobless and no prospects that my trade will pick up any time soon, if ever. Through a Wood Industry website, I struck up correspondence with a fellow in Washington, ME who runs a cabinet/woodworking shop, and seems to be doing quite well.

After six months of keeping in touch, we agreed the first step would be for me to come up there for one week. To work in the shop with the other guys and to give him a good idea of where my skills are; sort of a try out to see if we are professionally compatible. If things work out , we go from there.

Not to puke my whole life story on this forum, but thought it might help for some of you in forming your thoughts and advice to my situation.
Our time in the woods of MN was as close to heaven, to feeling content as we have ever been. That way of life for us felt right, good, and reasonable.
We don't want to recapture our younger days, as much as return to a way of living that feels sane.

Again, thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

85 posts, read 184,728 times
I honestly hope that you want to move to Maine is solely based on living the sane life... I don't want to sound like a jerk...but IMO living sane is in you, not where you are. If coming here for a job is your motivation, and you have one to come to, then by all means come. If you think that moving here alone will put you in that "comfortable" place, I am afaid you might be disappointed. I wish you good luck in all you choose.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
grubbyhubby -
You are familiar with rural living, and off-grid lifestyles. You lived that way because you choose to.

You have a trade and you are confident that you can move to Maine and find work.

You want to "return to a way of living that feels sane".

Okay that sounds great to me!

When are you coming?

Make sure that you attend the MOFGA fair in 2 weeks if you can.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM

atardie; I understand the perspective that "its all in you". However, I have three children and WHERE one lives matters just as much as HOW one lives. There are certain possibilities in life offered , depending on one's environment, just as there are certain limitations. To me , its all well and good to take the Zen approach, but we have so little control in our lives as it is, at least we can ( in this vast nation) choose where we live with full knowledge of the effect that our physical environment has on our mental, spiritual, and emotional health and growth.
Given the choice, I choose to live among as much natural beauty and good honest folk as possible. I wander if I might find that in ME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine