Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Thanks you guys... She went down to MEPs in Portland today, and I expected that they'd send her back... she's had some issues with her knee (cheerleading stuff), and I thought sure they'd ask for more info. When she called this afternoon I expected "Mom they need..." and I heard, "Mom, I'm in... I signed". This girl and I have never spent more than six days apart... and to go "cold turkey" is going to be a big shock to my system. She'll be so busy she won't have time to miss us!

I just got back home after caching with Maine Writer and saw the news... what happened at Fort Hood is awful. I'm almost thinking that the next group of Nat'l Guardsmen we're shipping out from Maine are due to arrive there in January. Michael would have been part of that group had he not done college first. This is a tragedy. I don't need to tell you what I hope they do to the gunmen... they're thinking there is more than one???
Wow.. I'm speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
..... Now I see that from among our group of CD posters, we do not represent a good cross-section of Maine at all. .....
Obviously not. The political leanings of the posters here are often (based simply on what is said) very different from those of the population of the entire state, when measured in many polls over many years by multiple polling organizations. There are still a lot of interesting conversations, though.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Obviously not. The political leanings of the posters here are often (based simply on what is said) very different from those of the population of the entire state, when measured in many polls over many years by multiple polling organizations. There are still a lot of interesting conversations, though.
The opinions here may be out of touch with the large population centers of Maine though I think they reflect Maine values quite well. We have liberals, conservatives, gays, straights, wealthy, poor, healthy, disabled, business owners, working, unemployed,new arrivals, and old natives. I'd say the state overall is well represented here.
The people who voice their opinion most often (me for example) may not be in the majority of left leaning citizens though it is more of a personality trait than a reflection of the forum makeup. I like to engage in debate and conversations, many others like to lurk and say little.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Wow that's great Mollysmiles. I'm sure it was a surprise to you. Please thank both of your patriotic children for their service to our country!

Ditto! Two thumbs up for both of them!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The opinions here may be out of touch with the large population centers of Maine though I think they reflect Maine values quite well. We have liberals, conservatives, gays, straights, wealthy, poor, healthy, disabled, business owners, working, unemployed,new arrivals, and old natives. I'd say the state overall is well represented here.
The people who voice their opinion most often (me for example) may not be in the majority of left leaning citizens though it is more of a personality trait than a reflection of the forum makeup. I like to engage in debate and conversations, many others like to lurk and say little.

I agree. Maybe it has to do with where people are posting as well. This is definitely one of the more "civilized" boards I've seen. The amount of "lurkers" makes me wonder how many people simply say how they feel.

One of the most poignant gems of wisdom (IMHO) I've stumbled across recently is purported to have been coined by Abba Eban:

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually."

I think there's a lot of truth to that.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
More shootings today....Orlando this time! 6 wounded?....subject to change. The gun ban nuts will be out in force soon.

Last edited by Maineah; 11-06-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
I think the polling was interesting, I learned a lot from reading the thread. For such a small number of people who posted what they were planning to vote (as stated some changed their minds), and how close some of the votes were, I think 3 out of 7 isn't that bad.

If "lukers" means those of us who don't post much, I don't think it has anything to do with saying what we think/feel, at least for me, I read, learn, but have nothing to add to the conversation.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Skulker, lurker - me by some definition & not at all by others. I like to listen. Thank you all for keeping the conversation going. I love to hear about what's going on in your lives in neighboring ME counties. And by turn, you make me smile; you make me cry; you make me think; you inspire me; you encourage me; you teach me.

It's easier for me to express myself by baking pies than by shackling words together. Let me know what kind of pie you like, and I'll send you a virtual slice.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:39 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Skulker, lurker - me by some definition & not at all by others. I like to listen. Thank you all for keeping the conversation going. I love to hear about what's going on in your lives in neighboring ME counties. And by turn, you make me smile; you make me cry; you make me think; you inspire me; you encourage me; you teach me.

It's easier for me to express myself by baking pies than by shackling words together. Let me know what kind of pie you like, and I'll send you a virtual slice.
i like deep dish apple pie.or cherry cheese cake.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Ditto! Two thumbs up for both of them!
Wow... all the babies are growing. <<sigh>> who let that happen anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine