Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am thinking about going up to Maine or New Hampshire to ski for Thanksgiving weekend. What's the best website to use to book packages for this trip? I've looked on the mountain resorts' websites, but they seem to charge a premium in comparison to other independent brokers. Orbitz and Expedia don't bundle their lodging costs with equipment rentals, lift tickets, etc. There are independent hotels and lodges that offer attractive rates and free tickets if you stay with them, but they all seem very obsecure (no online booking, no details about hotel condition). If anyone knows some good websites to book a trip, please do share. Also, please only mention sites that can book trips to resorts that will definetly be open during Thanksgiving. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,725,639 times
I'm not sure if any of the resorts are open by Thanksgiving. We still have daily temperatures in the low 50's in November! I know that some resorts may boast some limited skiing on man made snow Thanksgiving weekend but it is not the best time to be booking a ski trip to Maine by any means! We don't really see good snow making temperatures until mid December at the earliest. Try January or February for good snow conditions.....unless you like rocks.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,841,293 times
Most of the major resorts will be open by the week before Thanksgiving but the skiing is generally limited. Each resort area usually has local property management companies who can book a complete package...check the real estate companies and the yellow pages online.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,566,635 times
I doubt there would be enough - if any - snow for skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM

12,996 posts, read 22,175,064 times
I agree with just about everyone here about the timing. Skiing, ANYWHERE in New England is VERY limited by Thanksgiving. I'd give it another month at least. In fact, the end of January, February, and early March are the best months up here as the base is deep and the temps are cold enough for snow. December is usually sort of weak. In late November, there will be snow, but it will most likely be man-made and the mountain will likely only be about 10% open. Not a good value.

That said, I would seriously consider looking at Sugarloaf. In my opinion, it's the best total package in New England for skiing (I'm not biased, my family has a home at Sunday River). The mountain itself is great, the crowd is a lot better, and the base area has more of the feel of a European resort in that the hotel, shops, restaurants, etc. are all right there in one spot. The mountain is the best place to stay for a week or so. I don't know about packages (usually the Sugarloaf website has some on there... check back later for better package deals), but you can rent condos which can end up being an excellent value as you get an entire home for usually similar or less than what you get a hotel for. Here's one rental site, but there are plenty of others. The ski in/out places on trailsides are great. Sugarloaf has its own lift that services the condo area.

In addition to the resort websites, check your local ski shops for package deals. Usually they offer good deals as promotions to get you into the store (often times, you can take care of rentals through them generally for less than the mountain ). I don't know where you're from, but Bob's Sea and Ski (http://www.bobseaski.com/bobseaski/default.asp?s_id=0 - broken link) in New Bedford MA used to be who I booked through when I did it while growing up. Your area ski shops will have similar deals.

Anyway, keep looking, you'll get something that works.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:44 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,507,535 times
You are looking for something that will definitely be open by Thanksgiving??....some years, we are lucky if they something will be open by January! However, the last couple of years have been pretty good.

I agree with LrFox....I'd go Sugarloaf if I was going to spend a week. If you had an entire week at Sugarloaf you MIGHT get an afternoon where the wind isn't bad and the snowfields are open. I've skied there a number of times on daytrips and never have had the chance to go up! One of these days...

Sunday river isn't bad either, its a totally different place mid-week than it is on the weekend.

There are a few places that I enjoy skiing much more than either Sugarloaf of Sunday River (Saddleback, for example), but you probably want the most "bang for your buck" and alot of these places are quite a bit smaller.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine