Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM

169 posts, read 283,240 times

Advertisements

Yes, the traffic is really messed up in Skowhegan. Bob Marley the comedian even did a riff on it when he visited. The downtown merchants and others don't want to fix it because they feel that if it is fixed there won't be as much traffic as there is now. What they don't realize is that the traffic is making it harder to shop downtown because most people don't want to be killed by a pulp truck while shopping. It does make it exciting for thrill seekers though. The fix is really easy. Why not route the traffic up High Street and turn on Madison Ave? That would fix the problem. They might have to figure out a way to get two way traffic on lower Madison Ave, but that's not a big problem. Then downtown could have more parking and become a place to shop without fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:17 AM

I am going to try to bump this thread. Anyone have anything to say about Skowhegan and Somerset county?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Bump successful.

Skowhegan could use some manufacturing jobs. That is true of much of Maine, but the only true prosperity comes from producing stuff. In the long run the service industry depends on manufacturing. Many people in the service industry do not realize that. There is a dedicated cadre of bureaucrats and activist groups actively working to prevent growth in Maine. They call it "sprawl".

Too many Maine towns have chambers of commerce made up of older people who are perceived as a bunch of grumpy people that want to preserve the status quo and not lose existing businesses. They seem to work to prevent competition. That may not be true, but the perception exists and the perception nourishes our enemies who want to prevent growth, development, prosperity and manufacturing in Maine.

Even today there are small minority groups who are promoting the loss of private land and the taking of it for a national Park. Be vigilant. Look at what has happened in other national park areas like Cuyahoga in Ohio.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM

506 posts, read 684,337 times
I like Skowhegan......always visit Tractor Supply up there. There are a couple of great orchards in the area as well.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM

565 posts, read 936,049 times
Wyman lake is one of my favorite areas of the state.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Very deep and BIG trout. I bought my 20 foot canoe in Skowhegan back around 1974. I stop at the New Balance outlet. They have whatever shoe size you need. They are the last big show company in Maine.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM

Skowhegan is experiencing a little bit of a revival, and now has a lot of parking in the newly renovated parking lot, so there is a lot of room to put more businesses downtown. The area near the grist mill and farmer's market is a great one to start with. There is a pop-up shop for rent in that area. It's small, but only $100 a week, and can be a great place to be when the market and the nearby Pickup Restaurant is going. I think Skowhegan can become a real meeting place and place to be, if we get enough people who are going to do things. We need a book store and weekday cafe badly!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM

The best breakfast in Skowhegan is at the Pickup Cafe. It's open Saturday and Sunday in the Grist Mill, which used to be the Jail, right across from the movie theatre. Best way to find it is to go into the Municipal Parking lot and loop around to the front of the Grist mill. They feature all local food and have an incredible eggs Benedict with bacon and spinach!

The Pickup Cafe, Skowhegan - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 AM

7 posts, read 4,183 times
Please no one be mad that I'm reviving such an old thread! I figure better than starting a new one...

How is Skowhegan? I see possibly misinformed posts about crime as well as back and forth rumors of a traffic reroute? And then also that it's experiencing a revival? What's the world in 2021?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:24 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmama14 View Post
Please no one be mad that I'm reviving such an old thread! I figure better than starting a new one...

How is Skowhegan? I see possibly misinformed posts about crime as well as back and forth rumors of a traffic reroute? And then also that it's experiencing a revival? What's the world in 2021?
I like Skowhegan. Maine Grains is there. Amber Lambke turned an old jail into a thriving flour and grains business. When I'm there for a class (pre-Covid) I stay overnight and enjoy the town. The Bankery (bakery in an old bank) was wonderful to work with for my daughter's wedding. The town is revitalizing.I'm looking forward to my next trip to Skow to load up on flours, have lunch, and shop in a few stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine