Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

Does it feel isolated? Is it friendly?

I love that old manufacturing plant they are selling on the island but having read the inspection report - it could be a way for someone to go broke fixing it up pretty easily.

What is life like in Skowhegan?

How long a drive from Augusta. They said that its only an hr from Portland but that must be driving 85 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
I would bet Northern Maine Land Man will be able to shed some light on all of it for you Ocean.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I don't live in Skowhegan and never have, but I've been there a bunch and have friends who continue to live in the area so maybe I can help a little.

Skowhegan is a blue-collar community. I've heard people call it "unfriendly" (by Maine standards) but my experiences there have been exactly the opposite. The people I've encountered have been warm and inviting. I feel that they realize their town is in a bit of trouble and want to do whatever they can to show people that it's not a bad place.

It doesn't feel as isolated as many towns a bit further North, but depending on where you're coming from, it can feel a bit out of the way. I'm from the thickly populated South Eastern part of Massachusetts and Skowhegan feels a little Isolated, but having spent a few years in Maine, I can safely say there are plenty of more isolated feeling towns than Skowhegan.

Life in Skowhegan is laid back like many Maine towns. The people there work hard (in many cases, more than one job) to put bread on the table. With the exodus of industry, times are tough for many there. Lots of the residents are outdoorsy and it's located right along the Kennebec River. Drive about 45 minutes north on 201 and you've got some beautiful Mountain scenery and some GREAT whitewater rafting. There's plenty to do in the ways of hunting, fishing and other outdoor sports (snowmobiling and ATV riding are popular as well).

In my opinion, Skowhegan has one of the best downtowns of any comparably sized little town in New England. Not only is it pretty, but the density and odd-setup give it the potential to be SUPER charming with the right type investment.

As far as drive times go, it's about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to Augusta. Whoever gave you the hour estimate to Portland is mistaken, it's much closer to 1.5 hours. The closest significantly sized town is Waterville. Farmington is 1/2 hour west on route 2.

I don't know what to tell you if you're considering investing in the old manufacturing plant except be careful. Businesses are leaving the area and so are people... The housing markets and retail and office markets are small and shrinking and I doubt it would improve even with nationwide economic rebound. If you want to open a business, small scale would be best right now, perhaps something downtown?

Old 11-30-2008, 04:00 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Disclaimer: I am not a Skowhegan expert. That said, I can shed a little light on what I think are some opportunities.

Skowhegan is on US Route 2 which goes from goes from Houlton, Maine to Seattle, Washington. It is the major east/west route across northern New England. It is very popular with vacationers and motorcycle riders. Just south toward Augusta is the old Scott mill at Hinckly and just north in Madison is Madison Paper Company. I mention these because they have well paid workers who lend some economic impact to Skowhegan.

The town is on the Kennebec River. There are not many bridges across the Kennebec and during rush hour the bridge at Skowhegan can cause a slight traffic jam, a rare sight in Maine. It is said that some people come through Skowhegan just to experience a traffic jam for the first time in their lives. The river is clean now; not drinking water clean, but a whole lot better than it was 40 years ago. The fishing is very good and there is easy access to the river. Recreational use of the river should increase in coming years.

Most people who live in Skowhegan want to stay. They will support any business with good service and reasonable prices. Most people will also welcome newcomers who will contribute something to the local economy. We need people in Maine. We know it and we welcome newcomers who don't want to change everything.

I have not seen anybody post here from Skowhegan or the neighboring towns. If there is a lurker out there, jump right in.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
Skowheagan is a very good town with very good people. The town is dwindling because Maine is dwindling. Its been this way since 1850 when 3 million people were here.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i have met many folks from skowhegan,,,all very nice folks,,,nmlm is correct about the traffic jams at rush hour,,,,,

from augusta,,go north on 95 to the fairfield/skowhegan exit ....travel on rt 139 (i think) to skowhegan,,,about 45 minutes

i like the town, travel thru thier alot

Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Skowheagan is a very good town with very good people. The town is dwindling because Maine is dwindling. Its been this way since 1850 when 3 million people were here.
3 million in 1850???This number included the tourists, right???

Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
My mom says the population is so low because it's too cold and snows too much for people to live there! Another rumor, I know. I've tried to tell her that it's colder and snows more in Minnesota and Iowa. It's not like Maine is THE worst winter state in the Union! She says I'm not trying to move to THOSE states!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Your Mom must know that half of all Canadians live further south than Fort Kent Maine.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:03 PM

The population in Maine in 1850 was 581,813 according to the 1850 US Census.

https://www.thehenryford.org/exhibit...statesmap.html

The planocracy in Maine and elsewhere is right in a panic about "sprawl". There is a bunch that promotes "smart growth". What they mean is an overall no growth and any slight growth that occurs must be in government approved condominiums in what they call "core service communities".

I go to Augusta to testify against such superstition and befuddlement. I just tell them that if our little town continues to grow at its present rate, by the year 2050 our town will be back up to the population we had in 1890. That isn't sprawl. That is economic recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine