Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 PM

27 posts, read 44,912 times

Advertisements

...With an encouraging nudge from "Maineah" and 7th Gen , I now happily "de-lurk" myself and jump into this "forum pond" offering an enthusiastic, but still kind of shy hello to the sometimes curmudgeonly, yet mostly playfully gentle souls of Maine ...

[actually this is my 2nd attempt at "threading"; I screwed up the first one really, really magnificently ]

For reasons and in ways that may become clearer as time goes along; I'm sooooo very happy to be in ALL of your company - During the past 12 months or so of my "Lurking", every time that I would visit this forum, it was like "coming home" and being embraced by a wonderfully diverse and yet easily caring family.....Each and EVERYone of you, through either the words you express or the kindly deeds you generally exhibit toward each other (not just here on this forum, but in the very real spaces beyond) provide me with the confirmation that my decision, during the past 15 years of actively researching and (now) pursuing a consistent presence in Maine was (is!) sound...

And while, as "Maineah", "Acadianlion", "Maine Writer" AND many others have correctly said: it will not always be a place that easily conforms to one's expectations {just ask me how my first winter vacation went - Oy Veh, I need to learn how to drive better in snow } Maine and it's people feel strangely, but Warmly familiar to me and I'm more than willing to be molded by her environments in order to stay in touch with who I am and who I wish to remain....

For ALL of your enjoyment and (perhaps) curiosity; I'm attempting to attach a very short video clip I took in December of last year - on my first foray into the Maine winter season - it was taken on The Bold Coast outside of Cutler on the Wednesday (literally hours) before the "mini" 2008 ice storm hit...

Messing around on my "work" computer I discovered Window's Movie Maker and slowly figured out how that works (so easy a cave man could do it; yeah right. ) I put a bit of music to the clip (again just messin' around) it's NOT great but for a first attempt I think it's o.k. ...hopefully it'll show up "somewhere" in this forum....if not I'll keep trying to post it (as long as it doesn't annoy anyone, that is )...I'm soooo not computer literate - shoot I still think a Flashlight is a fascinating piece of technology - can't have enough of them around; blinking them of and on and chasing the projected "lightball" around the house, off the walls, etc - woof woof....but anywhooo...here the vid clip (I hope)

YouTube - Bold Coast Maine December 2008

again; thanks EVERYONE for your guidance and support, even IF you didn't know you were supplying it...

Always,
Corey

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNNaG3AjQIk...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zNNaG3AjQIk...b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,704,858 times
Now that's more like it! Welcome Corey! The video worked fine and really depicts the power ,mystery and solitude of the Maine Coast in winter. Great job and don't be shy. Heaven knows WE'RE not!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM

722 posts, read 1,514,527 times
Bravo, nice footage. Welcome to the forum

Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 AM

783 posts, read 1,578,486 times
Thank you - that is awesome! I could almost feel the wind buffeting and the roll of the sea. It's especially neat to watch that winter scene now, in summer. Call me crazy, but it made me look forward to winter. I appreciate all of Maine's seasons...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 AM

6,632 posts, read 13,572,311 times
Pull up a seat! Good to have you here.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,531,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Pull up a seat! Good to have you here.
Ditto!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 AM

164 posts, read 241,033 times
Welcome! Lovely video clip. You'll find beautiful scenes like those all over this magnificent state! Happy adventures!
S

Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM

27 posts, read 44,912 times
[Depending Upon What Time Zone You're in....Either...]

...Goooooood Mornin' or a Goooooood Early Afternoon to Everyone

I just found a spare moment at work (it was hidden under a pile of old rags) and just wanted to say hello and thank - you for the responses (I'm especially glad to know the video showed up and most of all, that it had the desired effect of transporting any of you to a different moment of calm escape...I too am counting the hours to the start of autumn and winter...watching for the sun to start casting longer shadows - just awesome )

I'll write a bit more in this thread later, but for now I got to run out and start making my rounds...have a great lunch wherever you are and enjoy your afternoon...

[MW, when I come back, ya mind if I sit on the milking stool? - i know it might not be appropriate for parlor sitting - but it'd sure bring back some great memories; trying to balance on three legs, tails smacking me in the face, etc etc ]

Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,181,223 times
Welcome Corey!

We may not always agree with one another, but IMHO, we're not supposed to in the grand scheme of things.

Everyone is great on this board!

Glad you've surfaced from "Lurkdomville."

Nice video too.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,463,027 times
Welcome Corey!!

Great video! Everything Maineah said!

Nice to 'meet' you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine