Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 34,030 times

Advertisements

Well, heavens to betsy.... everybody is just so hap hap happy to be a maineh I simply must be allowed to add some more sunshine. But I can't. I can't because I despise the mainer experience so deeply that I need to balance the thread ever so slightly.
I think this thread does a disservice to out of staters[sic] ( from away! from away!) who are considering moving to this backwater state...
Does anyone ever mention the ozone pollution or the the high mercury level in the freshwater fish? How about the difficulty connecting with the natives if your an outsider... something about baking cats in the oven (another cute little mainer ditty). I know it's just their way, but the only people I've been able to befriend are from another place.
Pine Tree State....Yep, very pretty... except it's all privately owned... jeez, miles and miles of coastline and you can hardly find a beach to go to without crossing private property, and I think nearly every pond (really a lake) in this state is surrounded by houses. (call them camps if you want) Hardly a natural experience.
I have a question... What are you people going to do when the price of fuel oil jets to $4 and more again... I don't mind the nine months of winter, I'm just not sure how I'm going to pay for it!
Folks... Have your bliss and happy talk, I'm sure there's worse places to live, but to some of us, this ain't no Shangri-La baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,084,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post
Well, heavens to betsy.... everybody is just so hap hap happy to be a maineh I simply must be allowed to add some more sunshine. But I can't. I can't because I despise the mainer experience so deeply that I need to balance the thread ever so slightly.
I think this thread does a disservice to out of staters[sic] ( from away! from away!) who are considering moving to this backwater state...
Does anyone ever mention the ozone pollution or the the high mercury level in the freshwater fish? How about the difficulty connecting with the natives if your an outsider... something about baking cats in the oven (another cute little mainer ditty). I know it's just their way, but the only people I've been able to befriend are from another place.
Pine Tree State....Yep, very pretty... except it's all privately owned... jeez, miles and miles of coastline and you can hardly find a beach to go to without crossing private property, and I think nearly every pond (really a lake) in this state is surrounded by houses. (call them camps if you want) Hardly a natural experience.
I have a question... What are you people going to do when the price of fuel oil jets to $4 and more again... I don't mind the nine months of winter, I'm just not sure how I'm going to pay for it!
Folks... Have your bliss and happy talk, I'm sure there's worse places to live, but to some of us, this ain't no Shangri-La baby!

Well Anotherplebe I have an offer for you! How about a house in North Carolina? Cul-de-sac lot and 9 months of summer (noooo, not really, but if you want to exaggerate your winter I'll exaggerate my summer) Some people really seem to love it here Maybe the south is a better fit for you.

I'm sorry Maine is so awful for you, you really need to take the time to find out where it is you need to be Good Luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,526,816 times
Oh, maybe he'll trade me for ours here in Southwestern Ohio?

I had no problems with the native Mainers, they were helpful, and overly friendly.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe View Post
Wow, sorry you had such a rough experience here. Hate to see people go feeling like that. I never noticed/knew of the ozone problem you mention. But knowing some about weather patterns I know the systems and air move from west to east. Maybe the left coast is where you are meant to be. And some of the beaches and ponds have (at least here) been bought up by folk from out of state (not all though). And they are very private with their property I admit. That's why the State gub-mint came up with the Working Waterfront tax break; to try and open them up. It has effected us here also. Yeah fuel oil is a big concern. But we deal somehow. We're built that way. Not saying we're happy about $450 a month on a budget plan from Big Oil Co., but we have to deal.

But even with the things that keep us from being Shangri-La or Eden we persavere and try to be happy. Beats the opposite. Not saying we aren't curmugeons every so often. Especially to folk who look for the bad side and just plain p**s us off. No, don't mean you.

We're not blissfully ignorant of the "outside world" just dealing with it the best we can. Hope you make out OK and, if you move, that the next place is a better fit for you and family. Sincerely. Chin up; pip pip, and all that rot, Guv-nah.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:32 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,937,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
with all this being said.....would you give up a $100,000.00 salary a year job to move to maine if you were unhappy where you were and knew maine would be a better place to live?
I dunno. When I came here, I had little choice. It was either THIS abyss or some other abyss. My first wife informed me that she thought I should go and live in the Maine woods instead of anywhere near her on Cape Cod. I had family about 45 miles from here and a little camp to live in while I figured things out.

With no alternative and no money, I went to work. I shoveled snow, stacked wood, cleaned toilets and emptied trash in a bank, and painted some old houses. I did all of this for the sparkling and princely sum of $4 an hour. I also had two college degrees, neither of which had a good employment application at that time...or at least nothing that I wanted to do here in Maine.

So by default, I began to reinvent myself. I began by getting out of bed every day,, setting foot outside every day, and going to look for something to do for work, EVERY DAY. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't always easy, but I gradually began to feel less sorry for myself and I found to my suprise that if I followed those three steps, I could always feed myself and keep warm. I could also see the ocean, the deer, the eagles, and pretty soon it was natural.

By the end of the first year I had started a business doing odd jobs. I had others who worked for me. Then I started another business and eventually moved away, buying another one using the most amazing convoluted "creative" financing imaginable because I still had no cash.

I found my niche in Maine. I am still reinventing myself. I am selling some real estate, and next year my wife and I plan to build a new home for our retirement...although there is still something else that I think I want to try to do, and there may be yet another business enterprise for me. And I will still get to look at the ocean, see a meandering moose or a soaring eagle.

I have made more than a hundred K here in Maine. Then there have been more than a few years in which I enjoyed some cash flow and actually made nothing. It hasn't been easy. But I haven't had to wear a conformist or corporate cap, and fight with intense traffic and the possibility of driveby shootings at the Seven-Eleven.

I could have made more money elsewhere and it would have been easier to live on a daily basis. But my life has been the life that fits me: I feel like this is the territory in which I belong, and my move here was the best move that I have ever made.

And the adventure continues at age 65, moving into another chapter. And I still get to see the meandering moose, the wild turkeys, the ocean and woods and the occasional soaring eagle.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,990,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
We've been here four years now. Still loving every bit of it. This was the lifestyle we wanted, and am very blessed to have gotten it.
What is it like in and around Bangor...for older folks? Any small towns that are low on crime, beautiful, and very easy to get around?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherplebe
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Quote:
... Does anyone ever mention the ozone pollution or the the high mercury level in the freshwater fish?
Actually I had not heard of any ozone 'pollution' in Maine before you mentioned it here.

As for mercury, I do hope you realize that it is just about everywhere.

Quote:
... How about the difficulty connecting with the natives if your an outsider ... something about baking cats in the oven (another cute little mainer ditty). I know it's just their way, but the only people I've been able to befriend are from another place.
I have heard of folks who had a hard time making friends.

I see folks here as friendly. Maybe in my case, it is due to being career military and having moved a lot for 30 years before coming to Maine.

Quote:
... Pine Tree State....Yep, very pretty... except it's all privately owned... jeez, miles and miles of coastline and you can hardly find a beach to go to without crossing private property, and I think nearly every pond (really a lake) in this state is surrounded by houses. (call them camps if you want) Hardly a natural experience.
So you would prefer state or federal parks instead?

Quote:
... I have a question... What are you people going to do when the price of fuel oil jets to $4 and more again... I don't mind the nine months of winter, I'm just not sure how I'm going to pay for it!
When you drive a car, you pay for fuel. The same goes anywhere you live. I do not see the issue.

Due you drive more in winter?

Petroleum prices will go up again. They always go up. We should all know this. We will never again buy gasoline for 14cents/gallon.

I will buy petroleum when I need it the same in the summer as in the winter, yes it hurts when the price goes up. It would hurt regardless of where I live though.

Quote:
... Folks... Have your bliss and happy talk, I'm sure there's worse places to live, but to some of us, this ain't no Shangri-La baby!
So sorry to here, that you have not enjoyed your visit.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,416,578 times
I'm sorry you had an unhappy experience, anotherplebe. Hopefully you find a place that is pleasant for you.

I prefer Maine curmudgeons to DC/northern Virginia hypocrites.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,251,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Wow, sorry you had such a rough experience here. Hate to see people go feeling like that. I never noticed/knew of the ozone problem you mention. But knowing some about weather patterns I know the systems and air move from west to east. Maybe the left coast is where you are meant to be. And some of the beaches and ponds have (at least here) been bought up by folk from out of state (not all though). And they are very private with their property I admit. That's why the State gub-mint came up with the Working Waterfront tax break; to try and open them up. It has effected us here also. Yeah fuel oil is a big concern. But we deal somehow. We're built that way. Not saying we're happy about $450 a month on a budget plan from Big Oil Co., but we have to deal.

But even with the things that keep us from being Shangri-La or Eden we persavere and try to be happy. Beats the opposite. Not saying we aren't curmugeons every so often. Especially to folk who look for the bad side and just plain p**s us off. No, don't mean you.

We're not blissfully ignorant of the "outside world" just dealing with it the best we can. Hope you make out OK and, if you move, that the next place is a better fit for you and family. Sincerely. Chin up; pip pip, and all that rot, Guv-nah.

Back in the 90's when the state felt that we needed emissions tests when the cars were inspected... It was because the air quality tested very bad at Acadia Nat. park and over on Isle Au Haut. I think we all know how bad the traffic is over there.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:41 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,895,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Back in the 90's when the state felt that we needed emissions tests when the cars were inspected... It was because the air quality tested very bad at Acadia Nat. park and over on Isle Au Haut. I think we all know how bad the traffic is over there.

Yeah it's wicked. Too many coal fired plants too. All those trains, planes, and automobiles, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine