Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times

Advertisements

Congrats on convincing him to move, Jennie. It's so heart warming to know that folks are so happy with their decisions. It keeps me focused on the dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,699,642 times
No regrets here either. We've been in Maine for 2 1/2 months now. We absolutely love it! The scenery is amazing, people we've met have been extremely nice, the schools have been very welcoming to our kids, I could go on and on. We visited WI recently. Although it was nice to see family, I couldn't wait to get back to Maine!

We're closing on our house next week. To own a little slice of Maine will be amazing! (Well, we'll own it in 30 years, but that's okay...)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,465 times
with all this being said.....would you give up a $100,000.00 salary a year job to move to maine if you were unhappy where you were and knew maine would be a better place to live?

Last edited by DONNIEANDDONNA417; 07-02-2009 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
with all this being said.....would you give up a $100,000.00 salary a year job to move to maine if you were unhappy where you were and knew maine would be a better place to live?
No,

You won't make that much working in Maine unless you work for the State!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Quote:
No.

I can get the same Liberal, feel good, crunchy, tax and fee'd to death, nannyism most anywhere in New England these days!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,277 times
I'm 56..lived here all my life except for 4 yrs in the Navy. I grew up in the tiny town of Wytopitlock and went to school in a 4 room school house with 3 grades in each room. I married a girl from Lincoln and thats where I have lived since getting out of the navy.

All that being said, I have come to absolutely LOATHE winter. After Christmas I just might as well leave until mid April and I would if I could afford to.

ButI love spring summer and fall right into December. I love to fly fish and hunt and I love the changing seasons. So I guess you might say I love it here about 66.666667% of the year.

And yes I wear many many hats to make a living. If I had as many heads as I had hats I would look like a hydra.

Oh yeah on another note I detest this nanny state government.

Live Free or Die

Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM

222 posts, read 530,064 times
Default Yes

Quote:

I ran a very successful Biz (100,000+) in California and closed it knowing that I was going to Maine for a REAL change in all ways. Yes the money is NOT here in the same way-but there are sooooo many pluses-I have no regrets. I was just back in LA and could reopen, but will not, as Home is so much better.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:49 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417
Yes

I was not in 'that' job, but I was looking at them, when I qualified for my pension at 42.

Had I gone the way that most of my fellow military retirees go, I would have gone corporate. DC beltway, or LA, or somewhere with a bag packed ready to leap timezones at an hour's notice. Fighting traffic and living among the high crime, high cost-of-living, and high consumption folk. I have had many 'friends' who went that path.

I decided instead to go a slower path, for me a better path.

I just returned home last night from a cross-country trip, where I was reminded of life in LA and what other folks are going through with our nation's current 'depression'. I am glad that I chose Maine when I did.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 AM

312 posts, read 726,115 times
Quote:
unequivocally, yes.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,176 times
Quote:

I would. I grew up with very little, and in a family where working hard for living was just the way it was. As long as we had a house, food, clothes on our backs, and the bills were paid everything was ok. You work harder and longer for the extras, but I think you appreciate it more.

Money is great, but if you're killing yourself with stress to get it, it's not worth it.

That said, if there was ANY way to bring the job with me, I WOULD..

I'm younger, I have a family of my own; having my children grow up in a place that will teach them the values of family, friends and community is MORE worth it to me than any amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine