Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
Irish Setter was open and busy as all get out on a Thursday night 2 months ago. Food was good too.

The place in the hotel (Northeastland? My brain is cramping right now) is pretty good too- or at least the lunch I had there, inclduing the fish chowder, was very good.

One thing that surpises me is that Ft Fairfield seems big enough to support a restruant or maybe two, but seems to have practically nothing? Maybe I've just never seen it, but it seems like for anything more than maybe a sandwich or such FF doesn't have anything?
Fort Fairfield at one time several years ago had 3 restaurants in town, but they have all fallen by the wayside. The best place in town to eat is now right on the main corner, it is a mini-market (Harvest Market) but they have some very good food and a couple of booths to sit at along with the counter. R&J's on the road toward Presque Isle also has some good food, but no place to sit and eat it.

For the OP, no you will NOT need chains. They keep the roads in PI and surrounding areas as clear and plowed as any place in the lower 48 I have been during snowstorms. If you like hole in the wall places you will find some rather good meals in that area. Just stay out of the bright blue place in Washburn (Washburn Coffee Shop, or whatever Mary is calling it these days) NASTY. Lived in Washburn for years and you couldn't pay me to eat there. Now on the other hand, right across the street at the Washburn Food Mart, he has very good daily take-out lunch specials for the farmers as well as all kinds of fresh baked goodies (think whoopie Pies, and other baked goods). In PI there is a good place on the way out by Winnies that is better and less costly called Shirley's and Harold's. Winnies is good, but they have started thinking their food is worth a lot more than it really is IMHO. The Mai-Tai right downtown is pretty good as is Tangs Palace up by Wal-mart.

Last edited by Bydand; 06-10-2009 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: remembered the name in Fort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainehiker View Post

Yes, I have a 4X4... will I need chains for it? I hope I don't get any stones thrown at me, but I am originally from L/A. I was laid off 4 yrs ago and have been to Eugene, OR and Richmond, VA since. It is good to be back home, but I could live without the shoveling!
No, you won't need chains.

I'm stationed in Alexandria VA right now and understand how you got spoiled regarding the shoveling. But come around August you will appreciate the weather in Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine