Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 PM

32 posts, read 78,725 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My wife has landed a wonderful job in the Presque Isle area however....2 problems (maybe).
1) House to sell in Rhode Island (bad time to sell?) We were going to buy a travel trailer and "camp" in Presque Isle until winter whch by that time the house will hopefully sell. After that, too cold to live in a RV and house rentals will be +/- 1000/month. Too much to afford a mortgage on our house in Rhode Island and a rental!!! We're are ok until October to do both.
2) My career in the area (auto dealership) looks bleak. I made a trip to Aroostook county last weekend to interview and found the pay rate in my line of work is about 1/2 of what I am making in Rhode Island. I have had one job offer so far-resume is out all all dealerships and with the Chamber of Commerce in Presque Isle and Caribou.
Hate to pass on the opportunity...but economics play a role after October. What to do? I've been lurking on this site for about amonth now and really wantto go to Presque Isle but the automotive field seems very hard to break into in that area.
If you guys have any thoughts, suggestions, contacts etc, please let me know...soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
1/2 the shop rate than in R.I. sounds about right. Welcome to Maine. What does your wife do?

Where are you guys in R. I.? How is the housing market?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
You are spot on about the auto dealerships in this area. I live right between Caribou/Presque Isle and the pay is quite low at all the dealers compared to other areas. For this area though the pay is considered good money. They tend to hang on to the people they have and the turn over is very low, so there isn't many openings usually. $1000 a month for house rental seem quite high actually, but I guess it all depends on the type of place you are looking for. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM

nurse...housing market-about 60-90 days on market by realtor they claim. We live by CT/MA border-Western RI. 60-90 days not bad but...with the economy today-any little hiccup can change that...

Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM

bydand---I travelled there Saturday from RI. We found 2 houses around 600-700 but with utilities and etc-I'm figuring close to 1k maybe less. I loved the area, though. Do you work in the car business?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM

We have so much to look forward to; just frustrating trying to put this all together. I think my wife and I have "what-if'd" ourselves to death on this. Seems silly but a big move for us-just want to do the right thing. I think come October, if our house has not sold, we would have a problem since we will have no furniture with us to move into the house. That was the one plus with the RV. We are planning to move all our stuff when the house sells!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM

...one last thing-how are the child care arrangements in Presque Isle/Caribou? Any idea on the rate? We have a 10 and 6 year old...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
If the wife is a nurse, TAMC is fine, but health care benefits are quite high to add family members to the policy (think $500+ a month). My wife is an ER RN in Caribou and if you are thinking of Cary, please DM me for some details you should know about. I am not in the car business, but know a couple people who are, both work in Caribou and have been there for a long time.

OK, if figuring in utilities that isn't too bad, I was thinking you meant just rent price. Figure between $150 and $200 a month for electricity in the area if you have a washer/electric dryer. A bit less if not. If you have to pay for your own heat, it will 99% of the time be oil heat, and that is going through the roof right now. Safe bet is add another $300 a month during the winter for oil, if prices stay about the same as they are now.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM

bydand-i just sent you a message. You are right about heating oil-we plan to bring the pellet stove from our house to install in the house we buy in PI/Caribou but can't install in a rental....do you like the area? What store do your friends work at?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM

hello there---any thoughts about the area for a young family relocating to the area??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine