Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I pay $8000 in property taxes on a 2300 sq ft home in Austin, Texas. ...
I have lived in places before that had taxes like that.

We pay around $860 for a 2400 sq ft home on 42 acres with river frontage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,991,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It is common knowledge that conservatives and Republicans magically believe that somehow liberals just love to pay taxes. Give me an effin' brake dude. Maybe if people swore allegiance to common sense instead of to some kooky radio nincompoop more people would realize this. EVERYONE moans and groans over taxes. But I am sure that someone on here is going to tell me that they know some Volvo driving lefty from Amherst who just lloooovvvveeesss to pay taxes
I live in "liberal" Western Mass and can attest to the fact that "liberals" do indeed love to build new schools and new libraries rather than renovate old existing buildings. They love the idea of "progressive," and hiring folks to do specific jobs that formerly were done by one multitasking employee. The taxes here are climbing out of sight, and if you are referring to Amherst, Mass., I could not afford to live there the taxes are so high (they're not much into attracting and retaining Main St. business, but will keep sucking the residents dry with taxes). The young families making good money, some of whom got their pricey residences with the aid of dad, do not have any clue what it means for property taxes to rise on those of modest income. All they care is that they won on the ballot for the new school and the new library, which they promise will "only raise taxes a few dollars per year" on homeowners, yadda yadda. I'm a Democrat, seriously rethinking.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,991,855 times
Quote:
I pay $8000 in property taxes on a 2300 sq ft home in Austin, Texas. The sales tax is 8.25% on everything.

A retiree would best choose income tax over property tax and sales tax. Maine does not tax pensions or SS. I'd be out of your area in a flash, start packing.

PS: Mainers, your state doesn't tax groceries or clothing, right?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM

Groceries and drugs are exempt from the Maine sales tax

Otherwise it gets complicated. From one website I found this: "Prepared Food is subject to special sales tax rates under Maine law. In general, necessities such as groceries, clothes, and drugs are exempted from the sales tax or charged at a lower sales tax rate. Some exceptions, however, include "luxury items" like expensive clothing, drinks like soda, and certain non-essential pharmaceuticals."

General, Service Provider & Use 5%
Lodging & Prepared Food 7%
Short Term Auto Rental 10%

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

A retiree would best choose income tax over property tax and sales tax. Maine does not tax pensions or SS. I'd be out of your area in a flash, start packing.

PS: Mainers, your state doesn't tax groceries or clothing, right?
I'm meeting a relator in two weeks to start prepping the house for sale. And I hope to make a winter trip to Portland to see how bad weather is handled and then a Black Fly trip in the summer to see if it is as bad as people make it seem.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,715,261 times
Don't worry about black flies in Portland. If you really want to see black flies at their peak you need to be in an area with many clean streams in the second week of June. If you miss it you'll have to wait until next year and we don't want that. We want you in Maine this year. I was in Portland all day today and never saw a black fly.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Don't worry about black flies in Portland. If you really want to see black flies at their peak you need to be in an area with many clean streams in the second week of June. If you miss it you'll have to wait until next year and we don't want that. We want you in Maine this year. I was in Portland all day today and never saw a black fly.

It was Christmas Day. There shouldn't be black flies in the winter. I just hear all the horror stories about black flies in the summer and I want to see just how bad they are. I'm originally from Minnesota and lived with clouds of mosquitos all summer so I know how irritating bugs can be.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It was Christmas Day. There shouldn't be black flies in the winter. I just hear all the horror stories about black flies in the summer and I want to see just how bad they are. I'm originally from Minnesota and lived with clouds of mosquitos all summer so I know how irritating bugs can be.
It depends a great deal of location.

Black flies roam across the region in waves. One year you may experience them very thick, but then you might not see any for 2 or 3 years.

You can not 'count' on them being anywhere.

And 'yes', they do not come out in the winter.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It depends a great deal of location.

Black flies roam across the region in waves. One year you may experience them very thick, but then you might not see any for 2 or 3 years.

You can not 'count' on them being anywhere.

And 'yes', they do not come out in the winter.
That sounds pretty insignificant to me after living with the annual influx of mosquitos in Minnesota. I thoroughly enjoyed my first scouting trip to Maine (only got as far north as Camden/Augusta this trip). Maine has moved to the top of the list of places we are considering for retirement. (Fresh seafood is a giant selling point.)

Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
That sounds pretty insignificant to me after living with the annual influx of mosquitos in Minnesota. I thoroughly enjoyed my first scouting trip to Maine (only got as far north as Camden/Augusta this trip). Maine has moved to the top of the list of places we are considering for retirement. (Fresh seafood is a giant selling point.)
I have seen black flies when they were seriously thick.

However I have also seen entire years go by when we did not experience any black flies.

If you get caught among them, it does leave a big impression on you. But over all I agree that in the big scheme they are pretty insignificant.

Maybe it is just me, but as a retiree, I can be flexible. If I see that Black Fly will be an issue one day, then I can decide to not work outside that day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine