Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcreekwoods
In my research of Maine I've found that the property tax burden completely depends on the town you choose. Property taxes for a home in Bangor is on the high side, but still not as high as I pay in CT.
This has been my observation as well.

So far I have not heard of any town in Maine having property taxes on par with Ct.

Quote:
... On the other hand, there was a 41 acre farm with many outbuildings in Winterport with yearly taxes of $2000, which to me is unbelievably cheap. Taxes in Old Town tend to be quite low, Orono a bit higher but still not too bad. It's all about your perspective and what you consider "high".
Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 5,971 times
I have been looking to purchase a home here around the Bangor area. Here is what I have found...

Orono....ridiculous, this is not New York, or California.

On the average taxes in Orono are about $3300.00

Hampden which is a really nice town, the same properties are about 1/3 less.

It makes no sense to me. I think it is just the government wanting to reach out and steal some more money out of our pockets.

Of course thet average American does not even think about this much less thinking of ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING ABOUT

IT....Whatever happened to We the People?

Last edited by Stedmo; 05-30-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: misspelled even

Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedmo
I have been looking to purchase a home here around the Bangor area. Here is what I have found...

Orono....ridiculous, this is not New York, or California.

On the average taxes in Orono are about $3300.00

Hampden which is a really nice town, the same properties are about 1/3 less.

It makes no sense to me. I think it is just the government wanting to reach out and steal some more money out of our pockets.
Keep in mind this is town / city taxes. No Federal government, no state government is in the process. Strictly the town.

Hiring a city clerk, selectmen, building inspector, fire marshal, water treatment plant, sewer treatment plant, public works, Rec department, school district, ... All of these folks cost $$$.

Every time the minimum wage goes up, so does the entire pay scale for everyone.

The more folks who are on salary, paid by a town, deriving all of their income from the taxes collected in that town; then the higher that town's taxes will be.

Their health plan, their pension, their insurance. And I do understand that you need to pay your employees, you do need to give them medical coverage. And folks here complain about medical coverage costs all the time. It is expensive!

If you want a city that has modern conveniences, and well groomed parks, and municipal water and sewer, and lots of cops, and blah blah blah; then you must pay for it.

And everytime that expenses go up, everything else goes up.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,971 times
Well, I suppose you just ruined my complaining.....thanks a lot!!!
My sincere complaint is that after you purchase a home, you have to apply for a permit to do any work on YOUR OWN HOME!! So, why is it that we have to apply to do work on our own property and then be taxed for our endeavors???

Old 06-14-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedmo
... My sincere complaint is that after you purchase a home, you have to apply for a permit to do any work on YOUR OWN HOME!! So, why is it that we have to apply to do work on our own property and then be taxed for our endeavors???
That would suck, fortunately it does not happen everywhere.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedmo View Post
Well, I suppose you just ruined my complaining.....thanks a lot!!!
My sincere complaint is that after you purchase a home, you have to apply for a permit to do any work on YOUR OWN HOME!! So, why is it that we have to apply to do work on our own property and then be taxed for our endeavors???
Zoning is the perection of the belief that "I should be able to do what I want with MY property but you have to get my permission/approval to to anything to yours." It also stops industry from building in a neighborhood setting and such as that. Then you get into shoreland and shorebird zoning plans. We have to stop polution and insurance rate increases from building to close to the waters edge. And clearcutting too close to the water. Lord forbid your canopy opening is 260 sq. feet. Sprinkle sarcasm anywhere in here.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM

13 posts, read 20,058 times
Default Taxes In Maine

I'm looking at property in Maine now. I can't say if your taxes are high but the property taxes aren't compared to the rest of the Northeast, neither is the gas prices or cigarette prices. I live in NC right now, lived in Va for a couple of yrs, my parents live in northeast Ct now as I did awhile too and I grew up in RI. Your property taxes are comparable to NC and Va, but lower than Ct and RI by alot. Cigarette and gas prices are a little more than NC and Va but again less than Ct and RI. The economy isn't much different than any of the other 4 states, maybe even slightly better, RI being the worst probably. I know most of the people up there don't get around much, but I have lived in NC and Va and Ct the last 20yrs and the 1st 30 in RI and still go to all of them all the time.NC was a great place 20 yrs ago but its getting too many rules and laws...like Ct and RI...I hope Maine stays like it is..

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchase View Post
I'm looking at property in Maine now.
Welcome

Is there any region in particular that you find interesting?

Quote:
... I can't say if your taxes are high but the property taxes aren't compared to the rest of the Northeast, neither is the gas prices or cigarette prices.
To me gas prices are so erratic that they are not a good basis to form an opinion on. Though I could be in error.

Quote:
... I live in NC right now, lived in Va for a couple of yrs, my parents live in northeast Ct now as I did awhile too and I grew up in RI. Your property taxes are comparable to NC and Va, but lower than Ct and RI by alot.
We have friends who moved up here from NC. They like it.

We moved here directly from Eastern Ct ourselves.

I have never lived in the state of 'Rhode Island and Providence Plantations', I think it is cool to have a small state with a long name

I have lived in Va a couple times, it was very tidewaterish.

Our experience has been that both property taxes and vehicle registration fees/taxes were lower in Maine; as compared to Ct.

Quote:
... The economy isn't much different than any of the other 4 states, maybe even slightly better, RI being the worst probably.
Really? Please do explain.

Quote:
... I know most of the people up there don't get around much, but I have lived in NC and Va and Ct the last 20yrs and the 1st 30 in RI and still go to all of them all the time. NC was a great place 20 yrs ago but its getting too many rules and laws ... like Ct and RI ... I hope Maine stays like it is..
You may like it here, give it a try. I hope Maine stays like it is too

Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 AM

13 posts, read 20,058 times
I like the country around Augusta as well as out to the coast, not a fan of southern Maine, too many yuppies

Old 12-15-2011, 08:07 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,194 times
I pay $8000 in property taxes on a 2300 sq ft home in Austin, Texas. The sales tax is 8.25% on everything. We don't have a state income tax, but that is only because the oil industry has covered the state's budget needs up until the past ten years. Now we are so far in debt that the legislature underfunds agencies by roughly 30% for a biennial period in hopes that the next legislature can figure out what to do. And no politician would commit political suicide by proposing an income tax to cover the deficits. I retire in two years and I'm heading to Maine where the taxes are much lower - even in the Portland area at which I'm looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine