Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many vehicles around here (Portland) have expired inspection stickers. Some even expired two years ago. Now, most of the cars look fairly new and probably wouldn't have any trouble passing the inspection so I am wondering as to why so many people are not having their car inspected. Is this common throughout Maine? A political statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Portland cops have bigger fish to fry than inspection stickers usually. Caribou/Presque Isle on the other hand are on overdue inspection stickers like seagulls on a sandwich.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Seagulls here too. I got caught two years in a row. All I got were verbal "get it done today" warnings but you know, three strikes you're out so I make sure it's done now.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,874 times
Hubby is still driving around with his out of state plates. He had to wait for parts to get his wipers fixed, then the tail lights had a short, now the wipers are acting up. When it starts snowing next year, we've got to find a place to store it if we don't buy our house, and he's fussing about buying another vehicle to drive to work. That's what he gets for driving a classic.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Looks can be deceiving. I had an Oldsmobile that I absolutely loved. It looked great, it went without a hitch, and it looked fine.

My mechanic put it up on the lift, ducked out from under it, and put it back down. He said it was a wonder the drive train hadn't fallen out of it. The undercarriage was a victim of the potassium chloride poison they put on the road during the winters.

We drove it (straight as a pin mind you) directly to the junkyard and I mourn its loss to this day.

It might have more to do with how much more in depth inspections are now as compared to what they used to be. It's a good think IMHO, but I think the repair costs can play a major factor in it.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,874 times
When I went to get my truck inspected, a 2007, hubby said watch and see what they check for so that he would know what to make sure was working on his truck, a 1959. But that doesn't fly in Maine. They told me that the inspections for older vehicles like his are different than for newer ones like mine.
As for repair costs, my daughter kept procrastinating about buying a new van, and I was worried about her driving around in her old one with my grandkids in it. Finally, I convinced her. She did the math and found what I was telling her was true. The cost of making payments on a new vehicle, plus insurance, etc., can be cheaper than paying for repairs and maintenance to keep an older vehicle running.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
When I went to get my truck inspected, a 2007, hubby said watch and see what they check for so that he would know what to make sure was working on his truck, a 1959. But that doesn't fly in Maine. They told me that the inspections for older vehicles like his are different than for newer ones like mine.
As for repair costs, my daughter kept procrastinating about buying a new van, and I was worried about her driving around in her old one with my grandkids in it. Finally, I convinced her. She did the math and found what I was telling her was true. The cost of making payments on a new vehicle, plus insurance, etc., can be cheaper than paying for repairs and maintenance to keep an older vehicle running.
hubby 1959 shouldn't be a problem.. being an antique probably brakes and tires are about it. I registered my truck as a farm vehicle so I wouldn't have to deal with rusty fenders

Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
hubby 1959 shouldn't be a problem.. being an antique probably brakes and tires are about it. I registered my truck as a farm vehicle so I wouldn't have to deal with rusty fenders
There are restrictions on a farm vehicle registration that has a partial inspection. Here's a quote from the state...

"A farm-plated truck is limited to use related to farming and the farmer's personal and family transportation. A farm-plated truck may obtain either a full or partial inspection. If a full inspection is obtained, then the truck is not limited as to distance for registration and inspection purposes.

If a partial inspection is obtained, the truck is limited to a 20 mile radius of the farm, and the name of the town must be painted on the sides of the truck. The partial inspection includes running gear, steering mechanism, brakes, exhaust system, and lights, safety glass and tires."

An Antique auto registration also comes with restrictions. That doesn't require an inspection, but you can't drive it to work, run errands, etc. The argument you have with that will be with the cop, not me...another quote from the state...

"Antique Auto plates are for vehicles more than 25 years old, while Horseless Carriage plates are for automobiles manufactured in model year 1915 or earlier. With both types, the engine must be manufactured or restored to original specifications, and the vehicle must be 'maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest.'"

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Quote:
The cost of making payments on a new vehicle, plus insurance, etc., can be cheaper than paying for repairs and maintenance to keep an older vehicle running.

The truth of this becomes more and more obvious with the amount of exhaust gasses you inhale.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not saying it impossible, but almost impossible unless you are replacing virtually everything (including engine) over a two year period. Just take a look at the difference in cost of excise tax, and insurance and that will in itself cover an entire year of normal repairs for a older vehicle. Then, figure in the payments for a four year loan (if you are sane and don't get a longer one). At $400 a month, that's $4,800 and I can get a motor put in for that price. That continues for the four years, so unless you need to put in a new motor every year, you have to be saving money.

There are good reasons for replacing old cars (reliability), but cost is hardly ever one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: