Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine wanted to learn how to drive a standard shift car, never having been behind the wheel of one before. Silly me, I volunteered to teach. I hope my truck will forgive me for that hour of abuse I put her through.

Any of you all ever teach someone else to drive a standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
HAH! My girlfriend. I cringed every time I heard those gear grinding. My poor car.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
LOL, sounds like an ex-bf of mine. I simply cannot, CANNOT, drive a standard. Many have tried to teach me, all have failed. Of course, there is also the fact that I don't understand the appeal. An automatic is a no brainer.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
^Sure you can! It's just NOT fun (or easy) to teach as I'm sure it's not fun to sit in the drivers seat and have commands shouted at you.

I think the key to learning standard is go over the basics (it's a simple process) vocally before getting in and then getting in the vehicle BY YOURSELF and going from there. That's how I learned. It's difficult to learn anything when you've got a half-panicked guy sitting in the seat next to you shouting commands at full volume while you're just worried about hitting that tree, rolling into that car behind you or hitting that dog.

When my brother was learning I told him to use my sister's car (mine had been abused enough) and practice in the driveway and at the park and ride down the street on the weekends by himself. It took him a few days, but he got it. My sister learned the same way. When you can relax and go at your own pace, you can pick it up.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I had to learn on my own, without instruction, in a crowded loading dock between a brick wall and a half dozen 18 wheelers. I was working for a Newspaper and my regular delivery van was swapped with a van with a standard transmission.

I had never been behind the wheel of a standard before and had 65 workers cheering everytime I stalled trying to get away from the loading area without hitting any of the obstacles all around me. It was straight out of the frying pan and into the fire for me, but It was a lot of fun after I figured out how much pressure and the timing of the clutch/gas.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
I tried to teach my wife how to drive the car I used to have. Lucky she decided to give up before the car did. To bad they don't have rental cars in standard. I grew up riding dirt bikes from a very young age so found driving a standard came quite easy.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Haha- I got my license on my 16th birthday and already had a car... the first among my friends. My car was a hatchback standard (1982 Ford Fiesta), and I taught many of my friends to drive a standard in that car! Oh what abuse that clutch must have gone through.

WAY back in the day... driver's ed was taught in a standard shift car. I kinda think it still should be (or at least partially- enough that they could operate a standard shift car if need be).

Now the Three-on-The-Tree (3-speed on the column)... I can do that, but don't think I would try to teach anyone else to!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
My husband taught me in one weekend...had to because we were trading the automatic. I had to commute to Dover, NH the following Monday. I rarely ground the gears but I stalled it a lot.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
I learned to drive with a manual transmission--a good friend with a Volkswagon bus back in the sixties. My father had told me I did not need to learn to drive--after all, I could walk to high school and when I was married, my husband would drive me to to the grocery store!--ARGGHH!

I recently bought a brand new car (a first for me) and got a good buy because it was a manual transmission--most don't want them--but I like them--Drive myself to the grocery store!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Treeluvr, I served in the military with a woman who had never learned to drive because her father had the same attitude. Her three brothers all learned to drive early and had their own cars, but she was never allowed behind the wheel. One of the reasons she enlisted, I think. I drove her home to Chicago once, and she had trouble giving directions to her house because someone else had always driven her there.

So I taught her how to drive -- on a standard! That poor '68 VW bug never forgave me. She bought it off me afterwards and drove it home on leave. Her father almost had a heart attack when she pulled into the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine