Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times

Advertisements

msina I haven't seen The Apostle! I will look for it next time! My plan for recovery was to sit and watch movies and do all kinds of reading--I have six books ahead right now! So far all I've managed to do is be antsy about feeling so great and not doing anything!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
School days, school days,
Dear old golden rule days.
'Readin' and 'ritin' and 'rithmetic,
Taught to the tune of a hick'ry stick.
You were my queen in calico,
I was your bashful barefoot beau,
And you wrote on my slate,
'I love you, Joe,'
When we were a couple of kids.

Times have sure changed, but our girls settled into a new school year this morning as if they'd been here all their lives. They each walked into their classrooms where friends hugged them and called out, "Hi, Olivia!" "Hi, Victoria!" Teachers chimed, "Hello, Morris family!"

Wow, what a wonderful community to be a part of! And I only teared up once!! Just wait, though, until my baby boy goes to Pre-K next week. That will be an entirely different story!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,153,423 times
Before I started homeschooling, I had the same feelings, as did my children. We would have the "first day of school" dinners - a really nice dinner, of their choice, cake and ice cream. It helped ease the "empty house"----and it was fun

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
'I love you, Joe,'

Times have sure changed, but our girls settled into a new school year this morning as if they'd been here all their lives. They each walked into their classrooms where friends hugged them and called out, "Hi, Olivia!" "Hi, Victoria!" Teachers chimed, "Hello, Morris family!"

Wow, what a wonderful community to be a part of! And I only teared up once!! Just wait, though, until my baby boy goes to Pre-K next week. That will be an entirely different story!
It's great to hear that they feel so settled! My kids were ready to go back (despite not wanting to admit it to their mother ha ha). They were just about on each other's last nerve (not to mention mine)

Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,153,423 times
We don't get TV anymore...do they still run that commerical with the mothers pushing a cart down the aisle, collecting school supplies, with "It's the happiest day of the year" playing in the background?
I loved that commerical.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
We don't get TV anymore...do they still run that commerical with the mothers pushing a cart down the aisle, collecting school supplies, with "It's the happiest day of the year" playing in the background?
I loved that commerical.
Yes, I saw it for the first time last week. It is a good commercial (in that it speaks well to the demographic it targets) but I never felt that way as a parent. I hated having to send the one kid that went to school (for two years) off and having her miss all the cool stuff we did, or trying to arrange it so all the cool stuff happened after school.

I will admit to writing more than one note to excuse absence for non-medical reasons. The one that comes to mind is "frost on the pumpkin day" which always had the kids as excited as I was, believe it or not. That was the day after the first hard frost, when we would go put the garden to bed after picking and bringing in cart after cart of late season produce. They got to pick out "their" pumpkins for carving and for pies, and we would go out and pick rose hips if there was time, to dry for tea.

Gods, y'all got me feeling nostalgic...

Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM

722 posts, read 1,513,276 times
Thursday night 7 pm the Black Bears of Maine take on St Cloud State. Go Black Bears!!!!!!! I love College football. I will listen on the internet.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,342,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
'I love you, Joe,'

You and my daughter, too. Her oldest started Kindergarten this year. It's taking Mom longer to settle in that it is my grandaughter.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,342,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
msina I haven't seen The Apostle! I will look for it next time! My plan for recovery was to sit and watch movies and do all kinds of reading--I have six books ahead right now! So far all I've managed to do is be antsy about feeling so great and not doing anything!
SOOOOOO glad to hear you're feeling great. Do what the doctor says and KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 PM

227 posts, read 415,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Thursday night 7 pm the Black Bears of Maine take on St Cloud State. Go Black Bears!!!!!!! I love College football. I will listen on the internet.
My, you ARE quite the Maineah at heart aren't you! Right down to sports! When my brother comes to FL to visit, I hear all about how the Black Bears are doing, especially hockey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine