Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,727,288 times

Advertisements

Safest States - WalletPop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,472,883 times
Not surprising at all! Did you see that it's been in the top 3 for 16 years? That was the first thing that made us zero in on Maine when searching for a better place to raise our kids 8 years ago.

Some surprises to me are that New York made the 15th safest. Hmmmm....and the well known state for southern hospitality - Georgia - made the 12th most dangerous! Wow!! Of course Texas was the 15th most dangerous.

Makes me VERY happy to be in Maine!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM

86 posts, read 240,128 times
I'm in Washington State, looking at the ratings, we're pretty much in the middle of the road.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:10 PM

37,684 posts, read 61,767,294 times
Less people mean less crooks too!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,152,975 times
El was it last week you were here and said something like "oh, I left the van unlocked!" lol.... then a bit later you said, "oh I can't believe it, I not only left it unlocked the KEYS are in it!!" That makes me laugh just remembering it! Adapting to somewhere safe is very easy!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM

722 posts, read 1,517,944 times
Nice that the top 3 are next to each other NH,VT,and ME, the area is Super Safe

Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,347,844 times
GA is the twelfth most dangerous? It should be higher. The tiny town where I grew up had the second highest homicide rate in the state, right after Atlanta.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM

95 posts, read 324,695 times
So I've been looking into Maine lately... and browsing this forum here and there.

I can understand why Louisiana is #2 on the most dangerous list. My neighbors heard gunshots a few days ago that were coming from a high-crime area that's about a 1/4 mile from our block. (This is in New Orleans, La.)

They're vigilant people, my neighbors, and they work very hard to keep our little area safe from high profile crimes like shootings and aggravated rapes or burglaries. The neighborhood businesses do a good job, too.

I haven't left my doors unlocked since I left my hometown in Southwest Louisiana.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 PM

37,684 posts, read 61,767,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
So I've been looking into Maine lately... and browsing this forum here and there.

I can understand why Louisiana is #2 on the most dangerous list. My neighbors heard gunshots a few days ago that were coming from a high-crime area that's about a 1/4 mile from our block. (This is in New Orleans, La.)

They're vigilant people, my neighbors, and they work very hard to keep our little area safe from high profile crimes like shootings and aggravated rapes or burglaries. The neighborhood businesses do a good job, too.

I haven't left my doors unlocked since I left my hometown in Southwest Louisiana.
Well you do hear gunshots hear. Hunters or folks practicing.

I built our house and made a show of presenting the new house keys to my Dw. The house has not been locked since then.

As has been spoken of often on Cd, during the winter it is common to see half the cars at the grocery store, left running while folks are inside shopping. Not only do they leave their cars unlocked, they are left running.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 PM

95 posts, read 324,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Well you do hear gunshots hear.
What about the paramedics? Or the sheriff's department? Or the guys zipping up a bag that's headed to the morgue? You know, as much as New Orleans is a tourists' town, the drug violence is pretty prevalent. What did that pole say? Oh yeah... Louisiana is #1 for murder.

My neighbors had said that the shots came from two different guns, because there were different sounds associated with the 'bang' noises. They could hear the guns being cocked back and forth as well as being fired.
Scary stuff... and perhaps the scariest yet.

Although, the vagrants who were found to be living on the other side of my fenced-in backyard were pretty creepy, too. They were living in a daycare that hasn't been occupied since 2005.

Quote:
Hunters or folks practicing.
Do they wear those funny orange outfits or deck themselves out in lots of camo? People love to hunt on deer leases and such in rural areas of La.

Quote:
I built our house and made a show of presenting the new house keys to my Dw. The house has not been locked since then.

As has been spoken of often on Cd, during the winter it is common to see half the cars at the grocery store, left running while folks are inside shopping. Not only do they leave their cars unlocked, they are left running.

Yeah. That's how it was where I grew up, although things have changed a good bit since the 80's and early 90's.

It must be very nice to be able to leave your car running whenever it's really cold in the middle of winter.

(I get the "Cd" reference, but what does "Dw" stand for?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine