Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,027 times

Advertisements

I am surprised at Alaska being the 7th most dangerous state. I figured it would be similar to other rural states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
What about the paramedics?
I don't know, I have not seen a paramedic since we moved to Maine.

Quote:
... Or the sheriff's department?
Around here a sheriff deputy drives through the township once a week.

Quote:
... Or the guys zipping up a bag that's headed to the morgue? You know, as much as New Orleans is a tourists' town, the drug violence is pretty prevalent. What did that pole say? Oh yeah... Louisiana is #1 for murder.
I have not seen those guys either.

Quote:
... Do they wear those funny orange outfits or deck themselves out in lots of camo? People love to hunt on deer leases and such in rural areas of La.
They say that deer can't see colours, camo only works to hide things with human eyes. To 'hunt' with camo means your hunting humans.

Around here if you are hunting game you wear orange.

I have seen folks who go out to check their mailboxes wearing orange.

Quote:
... It must be very nice to be able to leave your car running whenever it's really cold in the middle of winter.
It is nice

Quote:
... (I get the "Cd" reference, but what does "Dw" stand for?)
'Darling Wife'

'Darned Wife'

'Dad'nabit Wife'

Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,649 times
Don't get me started on Louisiana. New Orleans is such a bad place for all kinds of crime that Katrina should have done us all a favor and washed it completely away. Unfortunately, all the "trash" ran for it and is still scattered across Texas, causing problems there. And for people who have gone back, things seem worse than before. They were warned 400 years ago not to build the place.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM

444 posts, read 929,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Don't get me started on Louisiana. New Orleans is such a bad place for all kinds of crime that Katrina should have done us all a favor and washed it completely away. Unfortunately, all the "trash" ran for it and is still scattered across Texas, causing problems there. And for people who have gone back, things seem worse than before. They were warned 400 years ago not to build the place.
What "trash" would that be, Casper? I met some nice folks in Texas who had lost their homes in New Orleans.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
I read an article in the paper today that according to U-Haul's annual stats, more people are moving into Maine than out of it. And we didn't even use U-Haul.

Last year, I not only left my car unlocked with the windows down, but I forgot and left my laptop sitting in the front seat. I came back an hour later and it was still there. I certainly wouldn't recommend that anywhere, but it's nice to live in a place where things like that aren't all that uncommon.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM

95 posts, read 323,730 times
Quote:
I think you're being unreasonably harsh.

There are bad areas with high crime rates in all of the major cities. The only difference between New Orleans and New York, for example, is the fact that crime is not necessarily concentrated or bound to particular areas; it's all over and virtually uninhibited by geographical boundaries. So... crime can spread easily here, but unlike Detroit, property is just as valuable or more valuable in the city than in the suburbs, which creates for a mixed population of wealthy, upper-middle class, middle class, lower-middle class, and impoverished... not just a homogeneous bag of "trash".

My neighbor's house was recently appraised for ~$320,000, and they are asking $1 million for a house that's a block away and closer to the high-crime area, because it is a bed and breakfast with an interior Neoclassical theme, located next to the streetcar line, and shaded by oak trees that are probably 100 years old. That's pretty trashy, right?

If you do not want to utilize the mouth of the Mississippi River, then New Orleans doesn't need to be here. However, if you want petroleum products, seafood, imports/exports, and produce to circulate throughout this country, then you had better be in favor of this city... even though you may not like the people who are from here and live here or the politics that surround the operations of the city.

This may surprise you, but my bf would like to stay here. The idea of piles of snow and short summers worries him. Hey... we've worn flip-flops on and off since February! He likes the idea of Florida, but hurricanes would be a major problem, and we already worry about them here.

I will be finished with pharmacy school next May, and I am seriously considering the state of Maine, because 1) they need pharmacists 2) the state is supposed to be beautiful 3) people are known to be friendly 4) property is affordable 5) seafood is readily available 6) the coast is right there 7) blueberries and blackberries are fabulous 8) the teacher:student ratios are low 9) the University of Maine offers plenty of undergraduate programs. The low crime rate is also fabulous, but crime rates are not everything. I would be willing to wager that the crime rate in the middle of a desert is lower than NH, VT, and ME combined.

Last edited by alittlenerdy; 04-02-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
The Louisiana forum can be accessed through the menu drop box at the bottom of the page........for those who wish to discuss New Orleans.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,691 times
Quote:
GA is the twelfth most dangerous? It should be higher. The tiny town where I grew up had the second highest homicide rate in the state, right after Atlanta.

We are working hard to get in the top 5. Have no worries

On a brighter note, visiting maine in a few weeks. Had friends move there last year and they are impressed.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,106,027 times
awww... hope you have a good time here cityrover!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times
maine is the third safest state becouse we dont call the cops every time some one steals some thing or breaks in.we own guns and dogs.and trees and ropes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine