Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,022,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
So how did all of the Maine Maple Sunday tours go? Everyone said they were doing some sort of Maple deal. What happened?

I didn't go out, but Nutkin Knoll was featured on channel 6. Looked like fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM

411 posts, read 900,386 times
Quote:
So how did all of the Maine Maple Sunday tours go? Everyone said they were doing some sort of Maple deal. What happened?
Maine Maple Sunday was nice. The weather was pleasant... and it was a nice ride. Not exactly what I expected, that's for sure, but it was okay. The maple syrup on ice cream was YUMMY! I am amazed at the prices of syrup this year, though... just crazy.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
Maine Maple Sunday was nice. The weather was pleasant... and it was a nice ride. Not exactly what I expected, that's for sure, but it was okay. The maple syrup on ice cream was YUMMY! I am amazed at the prices of syrup this year, though... just crazy.
Prices up alot?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM

411 posts, read 900,386 times
Quote:
Prices up alot?
Well, I'd say $10 a pint was a bit steep. I paid $7 a pint last year at the Common Ground Fair, which is always a bit higher than market price as it's organic.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
Ouch

Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,662,398 times
We have finally seen robins in the yard here in Corinth (yesterday) and today I spotted catkins on one of the three ***** willows I rooted from roadside cuttings (used in a spring bouquet) last year. The jury is still out on the other two.

Also the buds are swelling on the lilacs.

Mud is still mostly solid, though.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
We were just out walking around the suddenly grassy spots in our yard. I knew there had to be grass here somewhere! We also found quite a few hidden treasures popping up out of the melting snow. We found a wheel barrow, two bags of cedar mulch, a clothes line, a porch swing and some unidentified fresh tracks down near the water. Hooves of some sort. Cool!

The robins have shown up in full force to join the chickadees that have been fluttering around all day. Which ones are making that sweet musical chirping sound that Lady finds so intriguing? The robins are really pretty! I guess I've never seen one in real life. The huge bush on the front of our house has massive buds that look like they may spring open soon. And this grass we've found is very different than the turf we had in Texas. It's more like a soft, wavy field grass. Not sure what that will look like when it greens up. Very interesting. It looks like it will feel nice under my bare feet. There is also a mossy covering patched into it in several places.

Can't wait to see what other gifts from nature we'll have as Spring.........springs.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,499,915 times
The sap in our 'evaporator' is now amber and smells real good

Today's low temps halted sap flow, but I am certain that it will flow again soon.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,921,053 times
forest, the sap from sugar maple trees or some other type of maple(red) trees?
thanks,
boon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The sap in our 'evaporator' is now amber and smells real good

Today's low temps halted sap flow, but I am certain that it will flow again soon.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,347,651 times
OK, I'm taking the plow off the 3/4 ton truck tomorrow as I'm convinced spring is really here now.

My neck and face are slightly sunburned from several days of roofing in the sun and today we ended the week by pruning apple and pear trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine