Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine: rent an apt, moving trucks, doctor, chiropractor, relocating.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,723,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I know that I post about my experiences in Maine, and I offend folks.

My point of view may be unique.

And I have been told that my facts are 'rosy'. When I quote the prices of things, I have been told that I must be 'low-balling' them. I think it is kind of funny, without posting a picture of the receipts what else can be done?

I like Maine. It seems that when I explain why I like Maine, it upsets some.

We each have our perspective.

To me when things in Maine cost less money it is 'cheaper' here and I like it. To others Maine costs a lot because they spend so much less.

Everyone has a different perspective.
I am never offended forest

People need to know there many Maine's...A prudent person when hearing conflicting experiences should realize they need to do their homework and research further to see how their own situation would apply...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... People need to know there many Maine's...A prudent person when hearing conflicting experiences should realize they need to do their homework and research further to see how their own situation would apply...
I agree entirely.

Folks ask about Maine, and I routinely suggest that they come here. Tour Maine and see for themselves.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,893,950 times
Quote:
I agree entirely.

Folks ask about Maine, and I routinely suggest that they come here. Tour Maine and see for themselves.
Moving to Maine or anywhere else for that matter, without a visit is like buying a house at first glance off the internet. There's bound to be disappointment. I ask everyone I talk to about the move if they have ever been here for more than a vacation. You need to see what you're getting into.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,648,530 times
Quote:
I agree entirely.

And they should come during different parts of the year!!! I was born and raised in Mass, and had no idea what MUD SEASON was. I know now!

There are a lot of great points made, but the best so far is about attitude. This is true of all aspects of life, not just here in Maine. I am one of those annoyingly upbeat positive people and my husband, well, let's be kind and say he is not. We see things through totally opposite lenses, but between each of us, we get a realistic picture of how things really are.

I still love Maine, and if you look at the pics on the Maine Photography link, you see we got clobbered with snow just the other day and although I should be sick of it, I still love it! We have a snowblower, so that helps, but it is so pretty, and hey, if it's going to be freezing cold, you might as well have some snow to go play in!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,084,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I am never offended forest

People need to know there many Maine's...A prudent person when hearing conflicting experiences should realize they need to do their homework and research further to see how their own situation would apply...

Absolutely

Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM

701 posts, read 1,084,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You're right, I think most people here are smart enough to realize it as well. We all are guilty of letting our personal feelings influence what we say to others (I know I sure am), but most people looking for info realize that and take it into account.

Yes, I do............and I'm always grateful have all this information at my fingertips. This forum is irreplaceble (IMHO)

There might be some very impulsive people out there but most will do the research and take their time before moving to another state.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM

89 posts, read 261,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
I sometimes get a bit cranky while corresponding with people on this forum. Since my purpose is to provide information that can truly help to make an informed decision, I do get annoyed when people pay attention only to what supports a point of view they already have, sometimes with no basis in reality...
First off in response to this thread. I feel, as outsider not in Maine, that your "purpose" in your responses and threads have been at best confusing. I also feel that this post, while it may have a sincere foundation also has a air arrogance (whether intentional or not) but I have also found your posts over the last few weeks to be politely combative. I can't help but wonder why your tone seems down trodden. I also feel that there is no reason to get "annoyed when people pay attention only to what supports a point of view". There is an old saying "everyone has an opinion". Frankly, to be blunt I see no purpose for this thread - What is the point or solution etc.

I have been on the Maine and Portland forums for the last month and half and I love this forum and the "regulars" because it has a positive vibe. Go over and look at MNs forum; every topic ends in argument and disagreement. While communicating on this forum about Maine and discussing relocation to Portland I have found that nobody paints a "rosy" picture they are honest as to they feel whether good or bad; and I appreciate it immensely. I see no problem on the Maine forum. Thus why I see no point for this thread.

Please consider that people less than 100 years ago moved by wagons to places they'd never seen, risked everything, and lost their lives to move and relocate. Why? I see two main reasons:

1. A chance to choose where they'd live. To journey as a means to an end and to grow as a person and set roots in a new community.

2. A HOPE of a better life.

Life is not easy anywhere in the US and if people want to move and view it in "rose" colored glasses - let them.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 AM

89 posts, read 261,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post

Well, I notice, Connecticut Pam, that you're no longer in Maine while I'm still cheerfully shoveling and plowing that snow. My "rant" was clearly intended, as I said, to point out that it's not for everyone. Many people will in fact leave Maine because the weather was more than they were prepared for. Those people would be a lot better off if they were spared a costly mistake. As I write this, my neighbors are packing up to return to Virginia after only one winter in Maine. They're retired and were persuaded to come here by their grown children who live in the area. The children are in their twenties and love the snow; Mom and Dad aren't, and they were shocked at the labor involved in clearing a path to their car even though the landlord plows the driveway. Their kids told them the snow was "no problem" and, indeed, it wasn't for THEM. For Mom and Dad, it was hateful and frightening. Subjective, yes, but their experience of Maine was equally real and valid.

Nor am I going to post the way others want me to, but apparently they can express their opinions, while I'm instructed to "leave the Maine bloggers alone." Hmmm. Interesting how the set of people you agree with may "voice their opinion or share their experiences" but an alternate point of view, or even the suggestion that one should dig deep for answers, even disagreeable ones, is greeted with "leave the Maine bloggers alone." It appears the tolerance you're advising doesn't extend to me. Be that as it may, I'll be saying what I think.
I correct my previous post - your purpose is clear...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM

653 posts, read 1,920,373 times
great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post

Please consider that people less than 100 years ago moved by wagons to places they'd never seen, risked everything, and lost their lives to move and relocate. Why? I see two main reasons:

1. A chance to choose where they'd live. To journey as a means to an end and to grow as a person and set roots in a new community.

Life is not easy anywhere in the US and if people want to move and view it in "rose" colored glasses - let them.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM

37,489 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
First off in response to this thread. I feel, as outsider not in Maine, that your "purpose" in your responses and threads have been at best confusing. I also feel that this post, while it may have a sincere foundation also has a air arrogance (whether intentional or not) but I have also found your posts over the last few weeks to be politely combative. I can't help but wonder why your tone seems down trodden. I also feel that there is no reason to get "annoyed when people pay attention only to what supports a point of view". There is an old saying "everyone has an opinion". Frankly, to be blunt I see no purpose for this thread - What is the point or solution etc.

I have been on the Maine and Portland forums for the last month and half and I love this forum and the "regulars" because it has a positive vibe. Go over and look at MNs forum; every topic ends in argument and disagreement. While communicating on this forum about Maine and discussing relocation to Portland I have found that nobody paints a "rosy" picture they are honest as to they feel whether good or bad; and I appreciate it immensely. I see no problem on the Maine forum. Thus why I see no point for this thread.

And a wonderful post you have made too!

Feel free to post more often

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine