Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine from United Kingdom, employment issues, arts graduate, good place to raise kids, low crime rates, weather, snowfall, hurricanes, proximity to shopping malls, international airport

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 AM

87 posts, read 251,798 times

Advertisements

BanterMaine that was a very nice list of Maine films. thanks. One of my brothers and his wife and child went to New Zealand and never looked back. That was 31 years ago! He said it was a lot like Maine but the weather was better! That still holds true, I guess. Thretrebrit, have you thought of Maine as a neighbor - from Canada? If you lived over the border from us, you would have the best of both worlds - The Queen as a best friend and the President as a neighbor. . the culture shock might be lessened, what with national insurance and all, and you might be able to move here, from there. A stepping stone, as it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 29,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Caldwell View Post
BanterMaine that was a very nice list of Maine films. thanks. One of my brothers and his wife and child went to New Zealand and never looked back. That was 31 years ago! He said it was a lot like Maine but the weather was better! That still holds true, I guess. Thretrebrit, have you thought of Maine as a neighbor - from Canada? If you lived over the border from us, you would have the best of both worlds - The Queen as a best friend and the President as a neighbor. . the culture shock might be lessened, what with national insurance and all, and you might be able to move here, from there. A stepping stone, as it were.
Hello Deborah

I sent you a pm did you get it?

Bantermaine - thank you for the list! Thats great. The only Stephen King film I have watched is ulp..the one where he wakes up from a coma..and can see the future?? and, I believe 'Stand by me' is taken from a Stephen King story is that right?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrebrit View Post
Hello Deborah

I sent you a pm did you get it?

Bantermaine - thank you for the list! Thats great. The only Stephen King film I have watched is ulp..the one where he wakes up from a coma..and can see the future?? and, I believe 'Stand by me' is taken from a Stephen King story is that right?
The Dead Zone is the movie you were trying to remember and yes, Stand By Me was one of King's short sories.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 AM

yes Theatrebrit, I got it. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM

189 posts, read 301,353 times
Default The theater in Maine

Theatrebrit, I'm intimately familiar with the theater in Maine and think it might be helpful to you to point out a few things that haven't been mentioned so far.

First, I suggest you google "Maine theater" or something similar. It should be easy to come up with a big list of regional theaters and theaters in the Portland area. Most of these theaters have web sites, with lists of contacts. I know many of these folks, and they're delightful for the most part and will certainly answer an email (unless they're overwhelmingly busy). Don't hesitate to email them and ask specific questions about the likelihood of paid work in the theater, and whether or not that work is seasonal, part-time, or full-time, and whether it offers any benefits. And do keep in mind that, when someone tells you that health insurance is included, there are conditions attached that you may not be aware of - deductibles, conditions not covered, and the amount of money that you will pay for premiums. These people know all there is to know about the subject of theater in Maine, while my knowledge is wide but superficial by comparison. Tap into their expertise as often and as deeply as you can.

Since you work in your chosen profession now, I'm assuming that you want to continue to do so, but I don't think you've specifically said so - so I'm not certain. Would it be acceptable to you to work at another job to make your living and work in the theater on a volunteer basis, or is that out of the question?

I can say with absolute certainty (but again, please follow up with knowledgeable people and don't take my word for it) that the theaters of Maine are overwhelmingly volunteer operations. I know many actors in Maine, as well as technical people who work in the theater. Without exception, they all make their living doing other things - waitress, secretary, teacher, carpenter, electrician, video store clerk - these come to mind as I mentally run through a list of people whose names would be known to anyone who follows the theater in the Portland area. They get reviewed in the Portland Press Herald, and they have no shortage of work - but it isn't paid work. None of them make a living in the theater, or half a living or a quarter of a living.

A few who have other technical skills that are useful backstage sometimes get a paying theater job in the summer. For instance, Maine State Music Theater pays a technical director for their summer season, mid-May to September. The great majority of theaters in Maine are regional theaters, all of which rely heavily on volunteers for almost everything. Their budgets are small, barring the occasional grant, and without volunteers they wouldn't exist. There are great opportunities to work in the theater all over Maine, so if your intent is to give of your spare time, I guarantee you won't be disappointed - your talents will find good use and will be appreciated.

I won't go into the differences between the theater in Portland and in the rest of the state, except to say that paid work, especially full time work, is scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth. A great many summer theater jobs are taken by theater arts students who are put up in rental places, sometimes bunkhouse-style, and who do the work primarily for the experience and as part of work towards their degree. Some are paid but the pay is low and wouldn't support an adult with a family.

Again, I strongly suggest you contact people who are actually directly involved in theater in Maine, and ask them specific questions about your opportunities in the theater. If you are, in fact, hoping to support yourself by working in the theater, be sure to make clear that your intention is to get full-time, year-round, PAID work. The search for volunteer help is never-ending, and if they see you as potential free labor . . . well, let's just say it might be hard to extract yourself. Here's a list you might begin with:

Maine Theatre and Maine Playhouses Summer Stock Playhouse Live Theatre

And here's the contact page for the Ogunquit Playhouse, which lists emails for Director of Production and others:

John Lane's Ogunquit Playhouse - Contact Us!

Most people will reply and will be genuinely helpful and honest, but should some be silent, go on to the next. If you persist in this for a month or so, you should get a very good idea of your prospects for paid work or volunteer work in the theater in Maine. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you Angelo! I really enjoyed reading your post. It is a similiar situation here that working in the arts is a struggle for many and supplemented by other income.

Theatre, film and music are my passions, but I have taught, created my own work, worked for others..

That is wonderful information and links which I am going to dig through this evening.

What is Portland like as a city?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM

189 posts, read 301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrebrit View Post
What is Portland like as a city?
As a city, Portland is more like a fair-sized town. So, depending on what you're seeking, you may or may not like that. It's certainly a place where you can very quickly get to know the core group of people who are active in your particular area of interest - because there just aren't all that many of them. You can be accepted very quickly, especially if you do some volunteer work, and that's certainly a nice thing. It also means that, because of the small size of the city, the opportunities (for most anything) are limited accordingly as well.

I'd say Portland is reasonably artsy, as cities go (and I've lived in a bunch of them) but I wouldn't put it on any top ten lists. This is in part due to the fact that supporting the arts requires more than enthusiasm - it requires money. Portland isn't a rich place by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody goes to Portland to make their fortune. I'd venture to say, also, that very few people (if any) go to Portland to further a career in the arts. Probably the most successful people (in your field) are those who teach the arts in schools or colleges, which I haven't mentioned because I don't know how relevant it is for you. Those credentials might be very hard and time consuming to acquire, and I don't know whether they'd be transferable. If you have teaching credentials in Britain, though, it would be worth looking into.

From my (very personal) point of view, the nice thing about the arts in Portland is precisely the fact that people are resigned to not making a living from them. I expect that fact sorts out those who are extremely ambitious and career-oriented, and sends them off to New York, because that's where you must go if you're determined to make a living in the theater. The kind of fierce competition you see elsewhere is replaced, in Portland, by a spirit of generosity and inclusiveness. It's a friendly and supportive little world, for the most part, but in economic terms it's tough and sometimes outright cruel.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Portland is an old city....and altho it was burned at least 3 times.....once by the Indians, once by the British during the War of Independance, and once by accident triggered by fireworks on the 4th of July....it is filled with lovely old archetecture...cobblestone streets (in the old port) and curious little stores and shops; It has a good symphony orchestra...(struggling in this economy) a very nice fine art museum; good restaurants; and galleries.....and a civic center auditorium capable of hosting touring shows....it has fairly gracious old neighborhoods.....some trendy and some just comfortable family neighborhoods. It has lovely views over Casco Bay. It is like angelo said, a big town more than a city.....and from downtown you can be out in the country in about 20 mins....I am intimidated by big cities.....and I am not intimidated by Portland, it is a comfortable place to be. Big enough to be exciting, with an interesting history, and fun things to do and see. I Like It.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM

Theatrebrit, Angelo's and Elston's comments should be typed out in parchment paper and valued forever, because (collectively) that is what Portland is. All of that. Two of my three grown children live in Portland. One is 27. One is 41 with children. They are completely involved in the arts, one in music and the other as an artist. they are both married, and live in the same house, with one owning it and the other renting (from the owner). they all make a living doing 'other' things. And they very much wanted me to live in that little city, too. But I tried and could not afford it. I only lasted from November of '07 until April of last year. Inland Maine is a little less expensive, because because I own land there (here). With a fixed retirement income, I simply could not make it. We looked and looked. We tried and tried. But sometimes there are people who can live communally. I could not find any in my age group, but you might find some wonderful people who can help with living expenses. The age groups in Portland tend not to mix themselves together. The retirement aged group has so many fixed ideas, rules, expectations, and preconceived ideas of "How Its 'Spozed To Be" that we ice ourselves out.... and we know it ALL. Too bad for us.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Hello

Had an insanely busy week.

Portland sounds gorgeous and ideal.

Thank you to everyone who posted.

Angelo - I prefer to not live in too big a city - I loved London. But it is inescapable - vast - and where I live now - the nearest city (Cardiff) has hills surrounding it - edges! It doesn't take over your life. When you live in London - somepeople rarely leave and see no poiint in venturing outside.

I have taught quite a bit - but notin schools. I'm not sure, but here I would have to complete a pgce in order to do that. I would imagine it would be the same in the US. What are your thoughts on New York? Obviously, the lure of the theatre is there - but I don't think I'd be happy.

Elston - curious little stores and shops. Now thats what I like. I Wouldn't mind owning one myself.

Deborah - these are fantastic descriptions aren't they - I struck gold here for information! What lovely people you are. I mean that - taking the time to post - it is giving me a wonderful feel for the place.

Previously, I have seen it on TV, read about the area. I always have wanted to try some time in the US. But only only areas that have seriously appealed are Maine, possibly further down on that coastal path.

Deborah - I have friends of all ages. I don't see the point in being divisive. We're all here - trying to make it work and you're alive until the day you aren't. I hope I never tail off. Doesn't sound to me like you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine