Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine from United Kingdom, employment issues, arts graduate, good place to raise kids, low crime rates, weather, snowfall, hurricanes, proximity to shopping malls, international airport

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times

Advertisements

Winter is overstated in Maine. We have winter. We are having a "real" Maine winter this year, with snow beginning in December and continually on the ground through the winter. We had about six inches more here this week, and we are due for another significant storm tomorrow. This is the way Maine traditionally is.

But, I have seen many winters when there has been little to no snow. I have seen Maine winters with very little cold weather. This winter, from late January to early February we had only one or two days when the temperature went above freezing, and the rest of the time it was very cold.

The State of Maine and the individual cities and towns all have plow equipment and for many years it was an administrative rule that within 24 hours of the end of a storm, the state roads would be CLEAR of snow. This has been tough to do this winter because we have so much snow and cold, but basically, there are rarely days when travel is much restricted due to storms. But Maine weather is difficult to predict and rarely the same from one day to the next...it is always changeable.

You can depend on having four distinct seasons...well, maybe five....distinct seasons in Maine. There are the "normal" four...spring, summer, fall and winter. In Maine we also have "mud season", which informal and is in between winter and spring. The four seasons are all very different. For winter, you buy a warm coat and a snow shovel, and expect it to be cold and white and you will do fine.

I think there are two sayings in Maine that anyone wanting or thinking of coming here ought to remember. While you are thinking of Maine, write these down, paste them up on your mirror so you will see them often:

Maine: If you don't like the weather, wait a minute; and

Maine: If you don't like the winters, you don't deserve the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
An artist's product depends on discretionary spending. Americans are going to have much less discretionary spending for the next decade or so. That said, my father told me that back during the last depression there were people riding around in Cadillacs, Deusenbergs and Packards. They were building big beautiful homes on the lakes. There will always be people with money.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
An artist's product depends on discretionary spending. Americans are going to have much less discretionary spending for the next decade or so. That said, my father told me that back during the last depression there were people riding around in Cadillacs, Deusenbergs and Packards. They were building big beautiful homes on the lakes. There will always be people with money.
The very reason I enjoy setting up shop in tourist traps!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 AM

20 posts, read 29,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

You can depend on having four distinct seasons...well, maybe five....distinct seasons in Maine. There are the "normal" four...spring, summer, fall and winter. In Maine we also have "mud season", which informal and is in between winter and spring. The four seasons are all very different. For winter, you buy a warm coat and a snow shovel, and expect it to be cold and white and you will do fine.
It sounds very much like the UK, only with more of the extremes of weather I remember from my childhood. The weather is changeable throughout the day here and you do get used to it - even hanker after rain at times.

Northern Maine Land man - Yes, we are hit heavily by the recession too.

It all sounds very promising so far.

Is there much to do - or do you make your own amusement? How often do you travel to Portland - I'm imagining Boston or New York?

I hope you don't mind me asking - you've all been incredibly helpful already.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Ask away. You may or may not get accurate answers, but the purpose of this site is to try to exchange ideas and information.

I wonder if you are aware of the size of Maine in comparison to other parts of the US, or the UK for that matter.

I live in Hancock County which is about about four hours from the New Hampshire border. There is no public transportation in Maine. Transportation is the big issue, and to go to Portland is a three hour drive from where I live. It is nearly five hours from Boston from where I live, although there are those who will say they can make it in far less time. They can, once or twice, and the third or fourth try they will have an interesting chat with a Maine State Police Officer who will be less interested in their reasons for going so fast.

The nearest "big" city from where I live is 35 miles away. The "city" of Bangor, population around 35,000 people. That is the third largest city in Maine.

I live near an airport from which there are commuter flights to Boston. It is very expensive to travel that way. A round trip fare to Boston is more than $250. To get to New York you either go through Boston, or drive to Bangor for a direct flight from the "big" airport in Bangor. There aren't many other options except for bus. Obviously going to Boston for the day is not likely to happen.

The further north and east you go in Maine, the more difficult transportation is, and the longer the distances. It is six hours from where I live to Caribou, a nice small city in northern Maine. And that isn't the end of Maine to the north by any means.

I am not sure what you would consider "amusement" or things to do for enjoyment. There are things to do with other people in the small towns of Maine, but if big city lights are what floats your boat, you should probably live in Portland, or perhaps rural Maine won't work well for you at all.

You really need to come here to visit, and my strongest recommendation is to come in the winter when the seasonal visitors have gone home, and when Maine is at its most pristine and quiet. If you find Maine attractive in the winter, then you will have a GREAT time in the summer.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrebrit View Post
It all sounds very promising so far.

Is there much to do - or do you make your own amusement? How often do you travel to Portland - I'm imagining Boston or New York?

I hope you don't mind me asking - you've all been incredibly helpful already.
I think that Maine is very promising.

Maine is it's own amusement.

Boating, kayaking, fishing, swimming, ice-fishing, skating.

Hunting and trapping.

Geo-caching, hiking.

Mushroom 'hunting'

Snow shoeing, X-country skiing, snowmobiling.

Gardening, maple tapping.

I have been to Portland, though it was only attend a church class and I car-pooled. I have driven by Portland many times, in my trips between Ct and Maine. On my own I have never driven into Portland.

It has been years since my last trip into Boston. I remember going there once to pick someone up at the Greyhound bus terminal. I do recall going there a few times in the early 1980s, just to pickup friends attending college there.

New York? I used to drive through it a lot going South. When I was first stationed in Groton Ct, I used to go into NYC with other sailors. I don't think that I have not gone to NYC and stopped there, since 1980.

We were living in Ct during the WTO was attacked in NYC. It was big in the news. We had no desire to go there. At the time we had three foster children living with us. They had been living in a town very near the border to NY, and the idea that something inside NYC was being attacked really frightened them. So it further resolved us to avoid NYC with them.

I see no need to go to: Portland, Boston or New York.

Maybe Quebec sometime.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,649 times
If you're from the UK, you won't have any trouble adjusting to the winters in Maine. I haven't experienced the summers yet, but I suspect they are very similar to what you have in the UK. We spent three amazing weeks wandering around Britain a couple of years ago. We like being outside and I don't have to tell you how great the weather is in Britain for being outside.
Acadian is right about the roads being kept clear in winter. There was three feet of snow on the ground when we were there in January, and more snow fell during our visit. There was NEVER a problem getting around. We went to bed one night when it was snowing and were concerned that we wouldn't be able to leave on time the next day. But when we woke up the next morning, the streets were already plowed.
It hadn't occurred to me before how much the weather in Coastal Maine, where we're moving, is like the weather in Britain. I can't wait to get moved! Warmer temps and spring sand storms have already set in down here.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM

20 posts, read 29,999 times
These answers are just perfect and I have read every one with increasing delight. It sounds promising.

I think I will take your advice and will come over and visit in a milder part of winter and experience it for myself.

In the meantime I will read the threads concerning Maine and try to pick up what I can. I don't know what information I can offer in return, but if there is anything, by all means ask.

Thank you again. I have been looking at all the wonderful photographs too.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
We are nearing the mid point of our winter. Here is the forecast for the next two days:

Statement as of 3:35 PM EST on February 21, 2009

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 7 PM Sunday to 4 PM EST
Monday...

The National Weather Service in Caribou has issued a Winter Storm
Warning for heavy snow... which is in effect from 7 PM Sunday to 4
PM EST Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect.

Snow will develop across the region late Sunday afternoon and
then continue into Monday. The snow will increase in intensity
after midnight Sunday and then continue heavy at times through
Monday morning.

Storm total snow accumulations will range from 12 to 16 inches
across the region by late Monday afternoon... with locally higher
amounts possible.

In addition... gusty north to northwest winds will increase late
Sunday night and continue through Monday. This will result in
considerable blowing and drifting... with near whiteout conditions
expected at times.

This storm will have a high impact on the warning area. A
combination of heavy snow and winds will create very hazardous
conditions. Visibilities will frequently be less than one half
mile in falling snow with occasional blowing and drifting snow
causing near whiteouts.

Please report accumulations to the National Weather Service by
calling toll free... 877-633-6772. Stay tuned to NOAA Weather
Radio... your local media... or go to NOAA's National Weather Service Forecast Office—Caribou, Maine for
further updates on this weather situation.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 AM

A perfect exhibit for you, Theatrebrit.* We are forecast to receive a major snowstorm tomorrow.* This is what we call a "nor'easter"...a storm moves across the central portion of the US, triggering another low pressure area off the eastern seaboard which then moves "NORTHEAST" up the coast.* There is plenty of cold air about, so this one is going to be mostly snow, although last night the weather report indicated that it will likely be very wet and heavy with rain also along the coast.* That was last night, but it could be entirely different by the time it starts to snow later today.* Right now it is very overcast and gray and outside it "feels like snow".For us, we had planned for some time to drive to Portland tomorrow.* There was a time twenty years ago when with such a storm forecast, I would have planned to go anyway.* Now, I will cancel our plans because I have no real need to challenge the weather in a motor vehicle.Most likely by Tuesday morning, it will be clear sailing though.* Well...clear DRIVING, anyway.* There is NO WAY that you are gonna get Acadianlion out on the high seas with water temps down in the low thirties!*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine