Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM

12 posts, read 14,053 times

Advertisements

Hi Acadian,
You know what I mean. It is North and it is East. Thanks for the secret...I won't tell a soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
NE of Bar Harbor. Well, sort of.

I think what you mean is east and north of Ellsworth along Route One. In Hancock County there are some good small house prices in the towns of Sullivan, and to a lesser extent, in Gouldsboro. Then there is Corea and Winter Harbor, although Winter Harbor has been "discovered" and is in the process of "being saved" by that Quimby lady of Burts Bee's fame.

East of that is Washington County and there are lots of chances along there, although not a lot of shore frontage until you get downeast to Quoddy Head State Park and Eastport...lots and lots of open land though.

You might look for property in Prospect Harbor and that area. That is right on the entrance to the best kept secret in Maine, which is the Schoodic Peninsula and the piece of Acadia National Park known as Schoodic Point.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Thanks Broke

Hey,
Thank you very much for the head's up I will look around that area. Can you tell me a bit about Tennant's Cove and Martinsville?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Please don't freak out

Hi All,
3 sex offenders out of 700 people freaked me out. I don't base my decisions, obviously, solely on that factor but come on; if I am going to live in a VERY small town I don't want to be rubbing shoulders with sex criminals. I think I am being perfectly reasonable in my assessment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would also note that Maine's sex offender website lists ALL sex offenders. Even the 18 year old who has consensual sex with his girlfriend who is two weeks shy of her 16th birthday is posted with photos, address, work info, etc. True story, the guy I am talking about was looked up online and murdered in 2006 by someone who didn't know the details and just had it out for "sex offenders" in general.

MANY states only post the top tier offenders, but Maine posts them all. It makes the sex offender situation seem worse than it is in many communities. For example, a few years back just to do some research, we looked at the sex offender pages for Brockton MA (a depressed city of about 95,000 people with a well deserved reputation for crime) and Farmington, Maine (a thriving rural community of about 2,500 people) and Farmington APPEARED to have a worse sex offender situation than Brockton at first glance. Further reading and research stated the obvious... that Brockton CLEARLY had a higher per capita number of sex offenders (and do to illegals, many more instances go unreported).

This is my long winded way of saying be careful when you do your research... even information and numbers from "reliable" sources aren't what they seem sometimes.

Every community has flaws, if you really think that crime is a big issue even in these little communities you're looking at, then I don't know where you should look to live because it doesn't get much better in terms of safety and lack of crime than in the places you're looking.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeing View Post
Hi All,
3 sex offenders out of 700 people freaked me out. I don't base my decisions, obviously, solely on that factor but come on; if I am going to live in a VERY small town I don't want to be rubbing shoulders with sex criminals. I think I am being perfectly reasonable in my assessment.
We rented an apartment in Bradley, our first winter in Maine.

Across the street lives a 'sex offender'.

Not that I was worried but a neighbor told me.

The guy is mentally retarded. He was 18 dating a younger girl. The GF's parents got upset.

So now he is a 'sex offener' and will be for life.

What more do you want from this guy? He is Mentally retarded. Mid 20's, out of work, and everyone in that town knows him. I did not get the idea that anyone in that town thinks of him as a 'threat'.

The girl and her parents left town.

In the opinion of the locals the real 'threat' left.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,430,011 times
Quote:
Hi All,
25 registered sex offenders live within 1/2 a mile of my current house. 1 out of 700 people doesn't even phase me.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM

440 posts, read 1,692,189 times
God , I'd move too!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:27 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,520,046 times
Quote:
Hey,
Thank you very much for the head's up I will look around that area. Can you tell me a bit about Tennant's Cove and Martinsville?
Actually its Tenants Harbor, Maine, and Martinsville, Maine but you will never see Martinsville on any map...its more of a local thing now because its too small to be considered a true town. Turkey Cove is a clam flat cove a half mile from the house in Martinsville. Anyway they are located 8 miles south of Thomaston on the Saint George Peninsula. Tennants Harbor is located close to the end of the Peninsula, but Martinsville lies even closer and has been absorbed officially by Port Clyde.

They are small, quiet towns really that grow in the summer and are pretty quiet in the winter. Its just the average New England coastal town...lobster fishing rules here along with some Bed and Breakfasts. Everyone has seen the lighthouse here...it was depicted in the movie Forest Gump when he was doing his running thing. Another cool building is the Baptist Church. Its a timber frame building with gigantic stained glass windows depicted scenes from the bible, like Mary Madeline at the well. Ship Captains built this church and bought the stained glass from Italy and hauled them back on the ships. When we were married we had our wedding pictures taken in front of these windows...a beautiful church really.

As for neighbors, Andrew Wyeth lives next door to us (in the house in Tenants Harbor) but atlas he just died a few weeks ago, but his boy Jamie Wyeth still lives in town. LL Beans daughter lives here as well and owns both stores in Port Clyde and Tenants Harbor. I can't think of the guys name, but the announcer for This Old House lives here too, and the former Secretary of State for George W Bush lives here as well.

The rest I can't really tell you much about. To me the taxes are high there, but I come from a 200 person farming town an hour away so my view is slightly skewed. I do know the house in Martinsville is worth quite a bit less then the house located in Tenants Harbor Village because its more rural. The two things I dislike are the traffic going by the house in Tenants Harbor. To me its very busy, but the house is close to the road and I my farm is located on a very back road, so again my view of traffic may be distorted. The one thing that cannot be avoided is the road to Rockland. It is a peninsula after all, so there is only one road in and out (Route 131) so it gets old fast.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,247,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Actually its Tenants Harbor, Maine, and Martinsville, Maine but you will never see Martinsville on any map...its more of a local thing now because its too small to be considered a true town. Turkey Cove is a clam flat cove a half mile from the house in Martinsville. Anyway they are located 8 miles south of Thomaston on the Saint George Peninsula. Tennants Harbor is located close to the end of the Peninsula, but Martinsville lies even closer and has been absorbed officially by Port Clyde.

They are small, quiet towns really that grow in the summer and are pretty quiet in the winter. Its just the average New England coastal town...lobster fishing rules here along with some Bed and Breakfasts. Everyone has seen the lighthouse here...it was depicted in the movie Forest Gump when he was doing his running thing. Another cool building is the Baptist Church. Its a timber frame building with gigantic stained glass windows depicted scenes from the bible, like Mary Madeline at the well. Ship Captains built this church and bought the stained glass from Italy and hauled them back on the ships. When we were married we had our wedding pictures taken in front of these windows...a beautiful church really.

As for neighbors, Andrew Wyeth lives next door to us (in the house in Tenants Harbor) but atlas he just died a few weeks ago, but his boy Jamie Wyeth still lives in town. LL Beans daughter lives here as well and owns both stores in Port Clyde and Tenants Harbor. I can't think of the guys name, but the announcer for This Old House lives here too, and the former Secretary of State for George W Bush lives here as well.

The rest I can't really tell you much about. To me the taxes are high there, but I come from a 200 person farming town an hour away so my view is slightly skewed. I do know the house in Martinsville is worth quite a bit less then the house located in Tenants Harbor Village because its more rural. The two things I dislike are the traffic going by the house in Tenants Harbor. To me its very busy, but the house is close to the road and I my farm is located on a very back road, so again my view of traffic may be distorted. The one thing that cannot be avoided is the road to Rockland. It is a peninsula after all, so there is only one road in and out (Route 131) so it gets old fast.
casper weinburger??

this is a nice area, my great incle use to have a house in tenants harbor for years.. and port clyde is picturesque, just difficult to find a parking spot..

i like the town of thomaston also!!

yrs ago i knew the owner of halls market in tenants harbor,,,nice fellow!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM

16,684 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Well, you can find it on Google Maps, but you can't really tell if it is the name of a road or the name of something else.

That is one really beautiful part of Maine.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
Quote:
Hi All,
It appears to me that people are trying very nicely to point out to you that in this state it's not necessarily a sex crime that lands a person on the list and you're missing that point. Perhaps it would be to your benefit to research that registry.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-18-2009 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine