Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times

Advertisements

comeing home from camp last night we seen alot of cars,trucks,cops off the road.at one time a freight liner went by us so i took a vidio of him steaming by,40 miles down the road there he was wheels up in the ditch.got nesr alton and it was white out conditions.got home around 9 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Steve just called from the office. There was 6-8" of snow on Rt 1 from Topsfield to Indian Township when he left at 6 am. It improved from Princeton on to Woodland. I understand budget cuts but THAT much snow on the major road is asinine.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Just stopped in Springfield. We got 12 to 14 inches. The plow went by around 7 AM, but we got about 4 inches since them. It was snowing hard 20 minutes ago. It stopped; The sun came out and the sky is all blue. That was quick!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 PM

346 posts, read 786,652 times
Well being from out of State, I wasn't expecting the roads to be plowed down to the blacktop, so I adjusted my speed accordingly.

On the way home I was heading down 95 and at best I'd say 40 was pushing it way past a safe speed.

Naturally I was being passed by big trucks, SUV's, and pickups towing their snow mobile trailers. I'd say 65 or more was their average speed.

So I counted at least a dozen vehicles off the road and hung up on guardrails, including the flying pickup with the snow mobile trailer.

When will people figure out that you only die once?

Please slow down, the life you save may be mine!
Attached Thumbnails
road conditions-roads.jpg   road conditions-roads2.jpg   road conditions-roads3.jpg   road conditions-roads4.jpg  

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
This morning a loaded log truck blocked Rt 6 not once but twice. I've learned a detour from 6 to 169. Another truck was stuck on Church Hill in Carroll. There were two semis on their sides between Mattamiscontis and the Howland exit on I95, south bound lane. A third was on its side soon after the Howland exit, south bound lane. On the way home tonight two of the trucks were being emptied into other trucks. I don't think they'll be upright tonight.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM

this is what our ride home looked like the other night.in some spots you couldnt see 20 feet in front of you.
Attached Thumbnails
road conditions-2009_0120jan20090090.jpg   road conditions-2009_0120jan20090091.jpg  

Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM

653 posts, read 1,919,636 times
wow that is scary, it much be difficult to tell if you drive on or off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
this is what our ride home looked like the other night.in some spots you couldnt see 20 feet in front of you.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,649 times
You guys are gonna have all that white stuff cleaned up by the time we get there next week, right? We couldn't get a flight that gets in early enough to drive on into Calais from Bangor the same day, so we won't be in until sometime Thursday morning. The options on car rental were by size, so hubby requested a full sized, figuring the heavier the better. Hopefully the skies and the roads will clear while we're there so that we can explore. So, when are we gonna get together for lunch/coffee/whatever?

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
wow that is scary, it much be difficult to tell if you drive on or off the road.
it DW was driveing we would have pulled over she hates driveing in the snow.as for me im an old pro.i have driven all over the us many times and it just baffels me that people think their car or truck will go through any thing and is invinceable.the next thing you no there they are in the ditch.i drove all the way home and never spun a tire or had any hairy exp.the sooner people realise their auto isnt a tank the better off they will be.if you see a car or a big truck comeing up behind you dont freek out stay calm move over if you can and let them by.if some one spins out in front of you DO NOT JUMP ON THE BREAKS.if you do you could be right beside him or her.calmly press your break and slow down.its like foot ball his car or truck is offence and you are at defence.try to stay away from it.if it takes you putting it in the ditch your self then so be it.id rather ditch my truck then get tangeld up with another auto or even worse a big truck.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
Those are the nights where you see literally dozens of cars off the road for just that reason. They lose sight of the edge of the road and miss a turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine