Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

I know that this question will sound silly and perhaps unanswerable....But.....

DP and I are wondering about driving in the snow! He used to live in Manhattan where he didn't need to drive, but he went almost every weekend to a farmhouse in Pennsylvania. Over the 20 years he was doing that, the weather never stopped him. I used to live in Central New Hampshire and remember on occassion, maybe 3 or 4 times each winter, there would be advisories that if you don't have to be on the road--STAY HOME, and most non-essential businesses would close. Because snow meant money to the ski resorts, they pretty much kept the interstate (RT. 93) open, come what may! That took a lot of plowing and much too much salt I am afraid.

My question is about driving in Maine in the snow. If you live in the towns around Portland, (Durham for instance) how many times would the snow prevent you from being able to get into Portland? How good are the road crews on getting the roads clear? We aren't thinking about the morning commute, but more like around 10 AM for a game of tennis!

I am fully aware that doesnt sound essential--but believe me, to my DP it does. We are having rain in southern California and he hasn't been able to play at his outdoor club for several days--so this is sounding much more important to him today. So commutes from New Gloucester, Durham, Gorham into Portland. What are we or what is he likely to encounter? (I will be at home putting another log on the fire and perhaps cooking a hearty soup!)

Last edited by elston; 12-09-2007 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: question marks not periods at the end of questions :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
While I cannot answer for day to day, day in and day out, snow removal down around Portland; I can say that every time I have been down there and they got snow it was clear and ready to go whenever you wanted to go anyplace. I do know that I have been all over the country, and have been in every single northern tier state during a snow storm. (A few states, many storms.) I have never seen a state clear roads better than Maine. Period-end of story. Not even the states you would think of as having lots of practice in clearing their roads can come close to Maine. Up here in the Caribou/Presque Isle area, we can bet a real blower of a storm and have it dump ungodly amounts of snow, in 2 days usually you are back to dry roads. Not clear of snow, but bare and DRY. These are most of the back roads as well. I have only been stuck in town here twice in 20 years and not been able to go to either Caribou or Presque Isle.

I would think Portland and surrounding areas will be fine 360 days of the year if they are like the rest of the state.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times
I am glad you asked the question, I was going to, but English is not that good, afraid it would not coming out right.

Quote:
My question is about driving in Maine in the snow

Old 12-09-2007, 03:06 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
I am glad you asked the question, I was going to, but English is not that good, afraid it would not coming out right.
Don't let that stop you. We'll figure out what you're saying.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM

thanks MW.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
During the ice storm of 98 I drove from Shawinigan, Quebec home to Maine at night. The customs folks at Jackman couldn't believe it. I was the only person they saw all night going either way. If I was driving a 2WD pickup I never would have made it. The only thing that stops me is visibility. If I can't see I don't go. If you have a good vehicle and good tires you'll be able to commute.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
Around Portland you should be fine as long as you have a reliable vehicle and good all-season radial tires. Most of Maine does a superior job at snow removal and, with all the traffic in and around Portland, your DP should be fine getting to the tennis club.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Smile You are doing well with your English!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
You are to be congratulated for attempting to learn English; and if you need something explained, just ask for help and we will try to help you understand!

Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM

on Bangor road (A1) from Ellsworth to Bangor in winter is the road clear enough to see the white shoulder line and would 2WD car is ok or must have 4WD to drive on

Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Its the hydroplaning on wet highways out here, whenever it rains the highways are full of fender bender; people don't slow down and they jump lanes and because it rains soooooo seldom, there is a film of oil that rises to the surface of the roads and cars slip and slide. We pretty much stay off the roads if its raining because even if you are driving safely and anticipating your stops etc. some other driver can get you.

Your comments have been very helpful thanks (the rules prevent me from giving any more rep points!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine