Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:34 AM

67 posts, read 212,866 times

Advertisements

no, i'm talking about those people along with legislators... Of course i was not talking about plow drivers, infact i used to plow for the surrounding gardiner area. It'd be stupid on my part to say that plow drivers do have esclades and such lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I got a response from the Governor's office saying that he had nothing to do with these raises...they were established by the legislature. Then I was directed to a link for all the state legislators.

Maine House of Representatives: Find Your Representative by Town

So I e-mailed about 6 local representatives. One answered me and indicated that the Governor's office signed the contract with the state employee union that includes this "cost of living increase".

Well, you know. I am jobless. My DH is sub-contracting what he can after being laid -off just before Christmas. Who's signing my "cost of living increase"?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
^Yeah, that's what they're calling them at the city level too; "cost of living" increases. This is a touchy subject and I don't want to upset anyone, but this isn't ALL bad. the "cost of living increase" is for EVERYONE employed by the city and state government... even the lowest level part timers. While at the upper levels, it's maddening, it's certainly beneficial for those working in the lower levels (i.e. your plow drivers).

both the city and state have part time and full time positions open ranging from crossing guards to physicians. These are tough times, but a gov't job of some sort (even part time), can be be a little help.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
I am sure municipal and state employees would gladly give up their raises when each of you start giving up your increases. How many of you would give up a 2 or 3 or 4% raise. Don't see many hands.

Many of these contracts were negotiated 2 or 3 years ago. Our teacher contract was. We will be entering the third and final year next fall. The first two years were 2% increase. Third 3.5%. Now we are being asked to give it back to the city. Two years with increases roughly half inflation rate, and now they want us to give more? Gonna be a hard sell.

BTW - do people really know what the legislators get paid? Not really that much. (and I don't think they have earned what little they do get paid either BTW)

Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
I am sure municipal and state employees would gladly give up their raises when each of you start giving up your increases. How many of you would give up a 2 or 3 or 4% raise. Don't see many hands.

Many of these contracts were negotiated 2 or 3 years ago. Our teacher contract was. We will be entering the third and final year next fall. The first two years were 2% increase. Third 3.5%. Now we are being asked to give it back to the city. Two years with increases roughly half inflation rate, and now they want us to give more? Gonna be a hard sell.

BTW - do people really know what the legislators get paid? Not really that much. (and I don't think they have earned what little they do get paid either BTW)

Wouldn't it be a matter of public record and easy to see who made what? I just wouldn't know where to begin to look. (at least they all still have jobs and raises, unlike a lot of other folks, especially right now.)

Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wouldn't it be a matter of public record and easy to see who made what? I just wouldn't know where to begin to look. (at least they all still have jobs and raises, unlike a lot of other folks, especially right now.)

Home (http://www.maineopengov.org/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx - broken link)

My name is listed. personally, I hate the fact that it is, but it is public record.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
I didn't realize the public record lists people by name - I thought it would be job title, years in type thing....

Learned something new Thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
Home (http://www.maineopengov.org/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx - broken link)

My name is listed. personally, I hate the fact that it is, but it is public record.
I know it does seem like an invasion of privacy, but I guess, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine