Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:17 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quann1992 View Post
people was tellin me dat shyt is lik jail.is it true,in can u have girls in ur dormroom
gah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
people was tellin me dat shyt is lik jail.is it true,in can u have girls in ur dormroom
Dude, please don't reproduce.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
A friendly warning. Don't blow it off until you think about it. This kind of slang isn't going to be accepted here. This is Maine. It sounds ridiculous. If you want to do well at Job Corp you need to speak English, learn to communicate well and concentrate on an education. JC isn't like jail. It's adults learning skills so they can be responsible and have some good things in life. You took the initiative to do some research online. If you keep showing initiative and put effort into it, you'll be fine.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,960 times
Quote:

Apparently, you've only spoken to those who have been given Job Corps as an alternative to jail.

There are those who do very well at job corp but only because they realize it's an opportunity - not an out to the alternative.

How well you do will depend on what motivation you have to go there. If you're only interested in whether or not "u can have girls in ur dormroom" then I don't believe you'll do well there.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
The focus of Job Corp is to train young people into career-ready workers.

Cooks wear clothing as is appropriate for people who work in kitchens. Auto mechanics wear clothing that is appropriate to wear while working on cars. Welders ... , Etc.

Rooms generally have 2 occupants. Students are expected to be out of their room by a certain time in the morning and there is no returning to your room during the day. To get students into the habit of being ready for work when they leave their homes.

A well balanced menu is provided; which gets students into the habit of eating healthier foods then what many of them had been accustomed to eating.

Psuedo-gang clothing, hair styles, and behavior is not allowed; obviously as none of those things would be allowed on a job site.

Many young adults today are lacking in life-skills, specifically in terms of structure. That they would need if they were to approach a career.

Job Corp teaches both: the education and skills needed to do a job; and also the like-skills needed to hold a job.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,660,538 times
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was not aware of most of what you wrote, even though I have known several young folks who have been through the Job Corps program (successfully).

K's daughter, and her husband who is now serving in the Army, are Job Corps grads in various aspects of the food prep industry. They have both worked in that industry, though she is not now working, and he, I believe, is again on a deployment overseas. His military career track is different, but I think his time with Job Corps may have helped him to more easily fit into the military. BTW, they met at Job Corps and married a year or so after graduation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The focus of Job Corp is to train young people into career-ready workers.

Cooks wear clothing as is appropriate for people who work in kitchens. Auto mechanics wear clothing that is appropriate to wear while working on cars. Welders ... , Etc.

Rooms generally have 2 occupants. Students are expected to be out of their room by a certain time in the morning and there is no returning to your room during the day. To get students into the habit of being ready for work when they leave their homes.

A well balanced menu is provided; which gets students into the habit of eating healthier foods then what many of them had been accustomed to eating.

Psuedo-gang clothing, hair styles, and behavior is not allowed; obviously as none of those things would be allowed on a job site.

Many young adults today are lacking in life-skills, specifically in terms of structure. That they would need if they were to approach a career.

Job Corp teaches both: the education and skills needed to do a job; and also the like-skills needed to hold a job.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
hello my name daesha and is it alot of mean people out there? is it hard in job corp?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Mean probably isn't the right word. Strict, yes. It takes discipline and people might seem mean sometimes when they're pushing you to be the best you can be. Is it hard? Sometimes. School and work are hard sometimes. I told me kids something important several times while they were growing - it might be hard for a little while but life will be easier when you get through it.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesha618 View Post
hello my name daesha and is it alot of mean people out there? is it hard in job corp?
Depends on WHO you are talking about. Staff/Instructors/Administration are all very nice, but very strict. They have to be strict of else it would be chaos on a Job Core site. "Mean" as in they have rules and expect EVERYONE to follow them... then yes they are. "Mean" as in cruel and insulting to students, then absolutely not!

If you are talking about "students" then yes some are mean, but most are there to learn a useful, valuable skill and life lessons that will serve them the rest of their lives. Any time you get a large group of that age range you will have tension, especially when it is a mix of cultures and backgrounds as diverse as Job Corps brings together in one spot. For the most part though it seems like a good place to learn a skill/trade and meet some good people that you normally would never have met and interacted with. I was a sub-teacher at the Loring Job Corps for a while and found the students were a good group that liked to push their limits and test your limits, but when it came down to it, they were there to learn and were decent people to talk with and even laugh with.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,888 times
thank you. does anyone know how the day goes and is it easy to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine