Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 02:06 PM

67 posts, read 212,950 times

Advertisements

hey guys, how's it going? First off, i want to say that i apologize for the long post, but hopefully i can get best answer as possible. The more info i put down, more info i'll get right?

Well first off, i'm 20 years old guy living it up in gardiner with my mother meanwhile i'm working and going to school. I'm hard of hearing, and it can be very dificult for me with people. Not that i cant hear, i can hear! but just in small group. I'm an easy going guy, always up to something and i'm always looking to make money.

the army refuses to recruit me and i'm pretty much pissed off by that. My cousin is in the army right now doing some work in iraq and he's making 120k in 6 months. he has done two tours so far and he's living it up quite well. I know damn well that there's a job in the army that i can do, such as computers, PT training etc... which doesnt require alot of talktive people or frontline job. I'm going back to the recruiter again and talk again. I know i can get in. I'm pretty much wanting to get in just for the $ and the training.

anyways, I'm somewhat looking into making $. I already have a job right now doing office work and i'm barely getting by on that. My mother wanted to rent her house but that probably wont happen. (she may will start charging me or kick me out. unsure yet *ongoing arguements lol*) So i got into thinking, hmm i could start renting houses or something. But the thing is that i have nothing. Is there any way that i could finance or get a place and rent it off while getting little profit? I'm not looking at quick or large sum of profit right off the bat.

I've tried ebay, but i stoped because i ended up paying my profits for shipping and products which i lost some of my $. So i dont think i'll be doing ebay again.

I've tried pbnation dot com selling/trading paintball guns. I've spent more than what i made... so i stopped that too lol.

Umm, i cant think of anything else that i can do to make $ on the side. I really like the idea of renting off house/apt to people. but i dont think it'll work due to no $.

any input would be great. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,703,322 times
Try the job corps at Loring.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 PM

93 posts, read 288,112 times
What I would suggest is to work more hours, and save some money on the side. Just a little bit a week really adds up! Then, INVEST!! Invest in anything that you feel is safe to invest in. Always make sure to research things before you invest in them though! I would recommend CD's if you have time and patience. ING Direct is also a way that your money could stay liquid and earn a high interest rate. ING Direct would make the most sense to me, if I were you, because you would probably want your money to be liquid just in case the innevitable happens. That's just my idea.
If you are interested in investing, there is an amazing book that you might like. It isn't all about investing in particular, it's more or less about money management. It's called Rich Dad, Poor Dad. You may have heard of this book, but I have listened to the audio version a couple times. Good Luck! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'll try my best to answer them!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
In addition to "Rich Dad", read "The Millionaire Next Door".

Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,756,931 times
I'm putting in a plug for HSBC direct.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM

37,484 posts, read 61,459,729 times
There are distinct differences between the mindset of "Rich Dad / Poor Dad", and "The Millionaire Nextdoor".

From what I have read the first was largely taken from the teachings of economy professors and written into a story describing 2 'men' and how they looked at budgeting and investing. You read it and walk away thinking that these 2 men existed.

The second was written as the culmination of years of interviewing successful families for the purpose of marketing to those households. Nearly all of them were 'new money'; from a wide selection of cultural backgrounds and professions, large families and small families. There appear to factually be a lot of families who do accummulate great wealth for themselves. Even from among such a wide selection of professions, and cultural backgrounds; they do many things in common. TMND is about finding those common mindsets, and explaining them.

RDPD is an accumulation of college professors' theories of how to invest, to build wealth. Fictional based on theory.

TMND shows the mindsets that are common amongst successful wealth accumulators. Statistics based on reality.

Two entirely different processes.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
if i were 20 again,,,id find a way to be either a pharmacist or a nurse or, without any education,,,id be cutting/splitting wood to dry/season and sell, buying logs by the truckloads, or offering to clear land lots

also,,id be pushing door to door, mowing of lawns/landscaping,plowing, handyman services...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine